Helzberg Diamonds Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 19, 2017

Helzberg Diamonds Chairman and CEO Beryl B. Raff
Beryl B. Raff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Everything to expect being part of the Berkshire Hathaway Company (in 12 reviews)

• Was a laid back work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance, Compensation and Benefits, Senior Mgt (in 9 reviews)

• We work nights and weekends and holidays (in 6 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds full-time

Pros

A lot of training. Clear guidelines. company perks

Cons

Pay isnt great.

Advice to Management

Would be better to give us raises or better commisions

2. "Sales/Keyholder"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You gain a great discount, the rewarding feeling of working with loyal clients, Benefits, and it can be hard to find a company that stands behind their product with ethical practices in which Helzberg definitely does! Helzberg is very concerned in making sure to provide everything they can for their customers. Not a bad spot for part-time.

Cons

I know every store is different, however, in our location we have had very high turnover. Ive been there shy of 4 years and have gone through 3 store managers awaiting a new one, also making me the most tendered associate in the store. Ive never been with a store that had so much turnover and understaffed and I wish the regional managers were a little more involved.

The commission structures are not too bad, but in our state they take out about 40% worth of taxes in your commission alone, so they build up the amount of money more than what you will receive (I'm also a very realistic person).

Advice to Management

I recommend giving pay raises to your key holders. Ive never heard of a company not giving a raise for taking on a role that gives you more responsibility. When moving up a new position (even a key moving to an Assistant Manager) you really should give more than a .50 raise, that is incredibly insulting.

3. "Good work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mishawaka, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mishawaka, IN

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved helping people find gifts for loved ones.

Cons

Pay wasn't great; less than $10/hour base and low commission.

4. "Office Manager"

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time

Pros

they offer a pretty good discount

Cons

vacations days are hard to take, poor management, not much growth opportunities, pressure for sales and opening credit cards

5. "Office manager review"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great company with atmosphere where the employees feel cared for.
    -Good opportunity in commissions and monthly and yearly bonuses.
    -Vision and Dental benefits are great.
    -Can be a fun atmosphere.

Cons

-The health benefits could be better, still have to pay out of pocket for many procedures.
    -Sometimes the work seems to be overwhelming.
    -Feels like a bit like a loner kind of job since just about all paperwork and office work gets left for the office manager, even on their days off. (See, the other employees have a large sales goal to meet so in order not to miss anything they sit and wait for customers to come in unless jobs are delegated to them by the office manager.)
    -I know this is a large company to work for.... but for the amount of work that an office manager does, and even if they make every month in the year for their sales goal, the company only provides $ .50 raises every year.
    -Also, once you are in an office manager position, if you have no interest in becoming a store manager or a regional manager, then there are no opportunities for advancement short of moving to Kansas City, MO.

Advice to Management

Please look into some better marketing ideas and please give a proper review type pay raise. I've had great review pay raises from other large companies before where the employee and the employer both review their past work and come to a decision on a raise based on a point grading system. This way the people that don't work hard enough get small raises while people that prove themselves with hard work can get a higher raise, anywhere from $0 - 1.00.

6. "Part-timers Have Benefits too"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wha tI like so much about being a part-time employee at Helzberg Diamonds is that they offer a retirement package even though I do not work full time. I was pleasantly surprised that they would car enough for my future to offer that benefit.

Cons

The slower seasons are really painstaking.

7. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved interacting with the customers and co-workers. Selling jewelry was an enriching experience.

Cons

There was a lot of drama, at times

Advice to Management

Listen to your associates and address their concerns

8. "Nice job, poor atmosphere"

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds part-time

Pros

The regional manager made frequent visits to make sure everything was in line and running smoothly. Lots of involvement from corporate, which is preferable to none at all. Even office staff are able to make small amounts of commission if they assist in sales. The longer you're there, the more opportunities you have to make sales.

Cons

Because it is a commission based system, the atmosphere can be very unpleasant and not nearly as professional as the company itself is. Constant fighting between coworkers and people throwing each other under the bus when clients are being rude. While the job itself is nice, the interpersonal atmosphere can be horrible.

Advice to Management

There's not a lot management could really do to change the situation, aside from stepping in when the atmosphere is particularly unpleasant. The compensation for part time and seasonal workers is very low for the amount of work expected.

9. "General Apprasial"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Most of the people I worked with were terrific. The teamwork for the most part worked well enough. It is a must to have teams in this type of business.
    I found the training to be extensive, much of it was on line. More experienced staff were helpful as well in the training process.
    Atmosphere is good and the merchandise is beautiful and of good quality.

Cons

If customers get on your nerves it's not the job for you. People will deliberate on the most inexpensive thing taking up as much time as someone who is about to spend thousands of dollars.
    Early morning weekend meetings when you're not scheduled to work that day.
    Low commission rates. Although the rates are considered high for that particular retail business. I still find the commission low even if it is in reality high by comparison.
    Low pay. If burger places are on the verge of paying $10 to $15 an hour for asking "do you want fries with that" then the individuals working in this industry should be paid much better than they are. I don't know how employees can make a living on the general wages. Because of the structure of the pay + commission there is much scrambling for customers who are making large purchases. The scrambling leads to anxiety for the employees.
    No constant schedule from week to week.

Advice to Management

Better pay would make for happier employees. The commission rate should be better for employees. The training is good and helpful to employees.

10. "Key holder with low pay"

Former Employee - Sales Lead/Key Holder
    Former Employee - Sales Lead/Key Holder

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome store and employees, second family

Cons

Lowest paying company in the jewelry business, they do not promote within which makes employees angry, hiring assistants with little to no experience.

Advice to Management

Stand up to district managers who know nothing about the hiring process