Helzberg Diamonds Reviews | Glassdoor

Beryl B. Raff

"Don't Apply !!"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Newark, NJ

Pros

Company is financially secure, owned by Berkshire Hathaway and pays a decent hourly wage

Cons

Regional mgrs. promote people to store managers based on their sales skills, not on their leadership or people skills. I am a new assistant manager and in my MANY years of management, have never been subjected to such disrespectfull treatment by a store manager.....I am literally INVISIBLE to my manager.......oh, except unless I make a mistake. Provided absolutely NO training or support from store manager, only a few concerned co-workers who acknowledged the fact. DONT work here!!!! As soon as I find another position I'M OUTTA HERE !!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Get out of your chair and off the phone and be the LEADER that the company is paying you to be !!!!!
    Sad to say you are losing several terrific employees.

2. "Horrible company to work for!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good benefits and they are flexible with your schedule so you can balance wrk and family life.

Cons

Selling under pressure and unrealistic sales goals.

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate your employees.

"Amazingly Waist of time and years"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Evansville, IN

Pros

Pay is good and that is about it

Cons

Management gets to personal, Favorites are picked by all management on upper and lower levels, commission scale is terrible,

Advice to Management

When you have someone as an assistant manager maybe training them in the ways of management might be a good suggestion instead of being petty and trying to make their lives miserable. Also try to keep your personal lives away from what kind of job you do.

"deadend job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

beside having great coworkers the company sucks and upper managemnet

Cons

you will not get more money later on, get it when you hire on
    have found that they lie to you about promotions. They do not pay well, and don't give raises out fairly. Even if you meet and exceed your goals, they always find something to put you down about. Upper management seems to enjoy intimidating employees. They constantly change the rules on how they want you to do things. Way to much gossip and much of it is started from upper management. Constantly passing the buck when mistakes are made.

6. "Pathetic"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company seemed to focus on customer service and improving the way the company is seen in the eyes of everyone else.

Cons

Company has no name for itself and expects the same recognition power as like Tiffanys or other large nationwide jewelers. Associates and assistant manager's wages are a joke, I know many MANY people in just simple retail positions who easily make a lot more yet they expect me to wear suits and scold me when my suit is "not high class". After being promoted in a few months my duties tripled yet my waged jumped by the cents.

Advice to Management

Yes the customer is extremely important and without them we are nothing but do not sacrifice your bottom rung associates and make money off them. Ask any current salesman and that person will tell you if they do not feel respected or valued they will not perform. It's just common sense.

"Very disappointed with the company"

Current Employee - Office Associate in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Office Associate in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good discounts on jewelry, and coworkers are nice to work with

Cons

Very unprofessional management, lied about the pay during the interview there's no training and a huge gap between the 10+ experienced employees/management and the new employees. There's very obvious favoritism with management, overall very high stress for a low paying job.

Advice to Management

Take time to give your employees real training and try to treat everyone fairly.

"The worst three years of my life"

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in McLean, VA

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The customers, training through GIA, of course the discounts on jewelry is nice, and it was always nice when we would get free jewelry (the cheap stuff)....

Cons

Career advancement is unheard of. You have a monthly evaluation on your sales. People regularly steal sales, the managers never listen because they don't want to be the bad guy. Associates regularly make fun of people that come into the store. They bash other competitors and claim to have high morals, ethics, and integrity. They claim to not have sales but have them every couple of months. The quality of merchandise has gone downhill. You never ever get a weekend off. It is out of the question...

Advice to Management

You need to appreciate the associates you have. Don't tell them they are doing well after they quit... Tell them while they are still there and somewhat happy.

"Ignorant, disrespectful, underqualified and rude manager"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Mays Landing, NJ
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Mays Landing, NJ

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Used to conduct training every 6 month for all employees but I'm pretty sure they stopped that to keep that money for upper management.

Cons

Employees not receiving raises for 9 straight years
    Manager in place who is not right for the position and get's a way with way too much
    All the benefits of employement have been taken away or minimized to an extreme

Advice to Management

Pay close attention to the people placed in management positions, monitor them, review there turnovers, reward employees who are on the front line.

10. "Not like it used to be ...... a shame !"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A decent employee discount as well as intensive training and learning seminars. Usually customers are pretty upbeat and pleasant when treating themselves or buying a special gift.

Cons

Merchandise quality deteriorated, very unprofessional management , The company has certainly gone downhil on so many levels. The word "Ethics" is such a joke in so many areas. Very different to 12 years ago when I joined the company.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a change all the way around , revert to the way Barnett Helzberg ran the company and made it a profitable ..... it's about the people !

"Mr. Buffet needs to hear from the employees in the field"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Training is about the only thing I can think of.

Cons

Poor management at regional and store level, present CEO degraded the company. Sales performance is the only thing that Headquarters cares about in retaining regional managers regardless of how selfserving, underhanded and opportunistic they are. The company has lost it's culture of caring about it's people...... the Helzberg touch which made it a success !

Advice to Management

Start looking at other things than just the bottom line and profits could actually soar !