Helzberg Diamonds Reviews | Glassdoor

Helzberg Diamonds Reviews

Updated August 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Everything to expect being part of the Berkshire Hathaway Company (in 12 reviews)

• Was a laid back work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance, Compensation and Benefits, Senior Mgt (in 9 reviews)

• We work nights and weekends and holidays (in 6 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate, Key Holder"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Portage, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Portage, MI

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Valuable sales coaching with the correct management. Could accrue paid-time-off easily by working hard.

Cons

Meeting target goals were not always a breeze. Low level experience was all that was required thus conversations with my personal coworkers were very seldom stimulating.

Advice to Management

Continuous improvement through training, scenarios, and positive reinforcement work best.

2. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Loveland, CO

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helzberg was a great place to work, I started just to have a source of income after undergraduate work, but because there is a high standard on education and career improvement I earned a degree from GIA (Gemological Institute of America)! They truly care about employees and working together to better the company. Great management good sound business ethics.

Cons

Sales Goals can be tough, but mostly good managment helps you work through sales weak points.

"Great company to buy from, not to work for"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stress free job, great training. Really layer back environment aside from my manager hovering around looking over my shoulder all the time.

Cons

Pathetic commission rate and hourly pay. Monthly commission targets changed so you couldn't gauge how much you'd actually make ahead of time. Commission starts at 0.5% and even in a slow month you have to sell $15k just to hit 1%. I worked st the outlet store and never saw more than 1% commission even in December and January with over $35k in sales both months. For a Fortune 500 company, they sure are cheap.
    Unless you plan on working part time, or sticking with the company for 15+ years and moving to a regular store, don't waste your time working here. Full time employees get screwed cuz they have higher sales goals without a higher commission rate.

Advice to Management

Increase the commission rate for lower volume stores.

"Working for Helzberg diamonds"

Current Employee - Manager-In-Training in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Manager-In-Training in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really do love working for Helzberg diamonds outlet. I would not work for the traditional Helzberg stores; because they don't allow for negotiation sales tactics. In the outlet division you can really meet the customer in middle with beautiful jeweler items. The pay for an entry sales position is fairly competitive with many other and the training is excellent. Work for the outlet division and you can go anywhere.

Cons

Well it's retail so you'll work crazy hours during peek seasons (Valentina day, Black Friday, and Christmas). If you wanna move up have to show extreme sales potential. But don't be surprised if you passed up by someone else who ( butter up/ brown noises upper management ).

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees with management and hiring experience. Other wise you will miss out on huge growth for your company.

"Family"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Generous vacation, discount, compensation, and individual development, and education. Helzberg values its people and promotes from within. Strong culture and debt free so there is security.

Cons

They are not trying to be the biggest but rather the best. People stay so the opportunities to move up can be limited if your not willing to relocate.

Advice to Management

Continue to innovate, but give yourself a safety net. Consider training customer care associates in stores. Remove programs that create frustration in stores and take away from customer experience.

"Luxury Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team becomes like family. Good hours, good product, decent pay

Cons

Commission based, if you do not achieve sales goals it will lead to termination

Advice to Management

Please stop with the free "holiday" gifts! They are exhausting on your employees and DO NOT generate sales. The birthday & anniversary gifts are a nice touch but just giving a guy a coupon for a free necklace does not lead to sales- they give the free necklace as the gift!!! The $50 off $50 takes time away from potentially turning a profit by working on following up with other leads and investing energy which results in no profit-- toward the sales goal of the associate or the company in general.

It wastes the associates time by guiding a guest around for 30 minutes trying to help them decide on their free gift.

7. "They put the Cult in Culture and the Hell in Helzburg."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is nothing positive about working for this company.

Cons

Harassed by senior associates and bullied by management, this was the worst work experience I've had in over thirty years in the workforce. The commission structure is so that only top sellers who have worked for this dreadful company for years can make any money. They brainwash employees with their "8 steps of selling" and insist on two to three associates on a ticket. I vacuumed and cleaned toilets for $10.50 an hour. When I documented the abuses I experienced and reported them to management and hr, nothing was done. This is a horrible place to work. Don't even think about it.

Advice to Management

See above.

8. "Great company"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Peoria, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Peoria, AZ

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

That's employees really well. Has great values for customer care. Very proud to be part of the Helzberg family.

Cons

Working in a mall sucks during the holidays, but commission is a great opportunity.

9. "good"

Pros

great job if you have the right co workers to build a good sales team with. Manager and company treat everyone well and tries to look out for you

Cons

none.I really emjoyed working for them and i would reccomend it to any sttranger or any of my friends. Just wish they payed a little more haha

10. "Office Employee"

Current Employee - Office Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Office Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers were great and understanding towards employees when it came to scheduling needs, co-workers were fairly nice to work with.

Cons

There really isn't any negatives I could say about the company.