Helzberg Diamonds Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 29, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life Balance, Compensation and Benefits, Senior Mgt (in 9 reviews)

• Retail hours and stress of sales goals (in 10 reviews)

"Office manager review"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great company with atmosphere where the employees feel cared for.
    -Good opportunity in commissions and monthly and yearly bonuses.
    -Vision and Dental benefits are great.
    -Can be a fun atmosphere.

Cons

-The health benefits could be better, still have to pay out of pocket for many procedures.
    -Sometimes the work seems to be overwhelming.
    -Feels like a bit like a loner kind of job since just about all paperwork and office work gets left for the office manager, even on their days off. (See, the other employees have a large sales goal to meet so in order not to miss anything they sit and wait for customers to come in unless jobs are delegated to them by the office manager.)
    -I know this is a large company to work for.... but for the amount of work that an office manager does, and even if they make every month in the year for their sales goal, the company only provides $ .50 raises every year.
    -Also, once you are in an office manager position, if you have no interest in becoming a store manager or a regional manager, then there are no opportunities for advancement short of moving to Kansas City, MO.

Advice to Management

Please look into some better marketing ideas and please give a proper review type pay raise. I've had great review pay raises from other large companies before where the employee and the employer both review their past work and come to a decision on a raise based on a point grading system. This way the people that don't work hard enough get small raises while people that prove themselves with hard work can get a higher raise, anywhere from $0 - 1.00.

2. "Helzberg Diamonds provides in-depth elite training to all employees and utilizes the best sales tools in the industry."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfield, CA

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They truly provided the most detailed training I have ever experienced and constantly provide new training materials to keep all employees at the top of their game.

What really separates Helberg Diamonds from other companies is they have Unity throughout the entire company. Everyone from sales reps to regional mangers to even home office has bought into the companies message.

They want you to succeed and advance in the company.

Cons

I wouldn't really say this is a Con but this job requires you to be out going and want to sell, but hey selling diamonds is fun! However I do believe because the training is so thorough anyone can be successful at this job.

Advice to Management

Keep giving the employees the support they need!

3. "Part-timers Have Benefits too"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wha tI like so much about being a part-time employee at Helzberg Diamonds is that they offer a retirement package even though I do not work full time. I was pleasantly surprised that they would car enough for my future to offer that benefit.

Cons

The slower seasons are really painstaking.

4. "Struggle to stay competitive"

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff always willing to lend a hand. A great family atmosphere.

Cons

Work/Life Balance, Compensation and Benefits, Senior Mgt

Advice to Management

Your culture and values are great, but a major failure to stay competitive in a very competitive market.

5. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved interacting with the customers and co-workers. Selling jewelry was an enriching experience.

Cons

There was a lot of drama, at times

Advice to Management

Listen to your associates and address their concerns

6. "Sales Associate, Key Holder"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Portage, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Portage, MI

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Valuable sales coaching with the correct management. Could accrue paid-time-off easily by working hard.

Cons

Meeting target goals were not always a breeze. Low level experience was all that was required thus conversations with my personal coworkers were very seldom stimulating.

Advice to Management

Continuous improvement through training, scenarios, and positive reinforcement work best.

7. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Loveland, CO

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helzberg was a great place to work, I started just to have a source of income after undergraduate work, but because there is a high standard on education and career improvement I earned a degree from GIA (Gemological Institute of America)! They truly care about employees and working together to better the company. Great management good sound business ethics.

Cons

Sales Goals can be tough, but mostly good managment helps you work through sales weak points.

"Great company to buy from, not to work for"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stress free job, great training. Really layer back environment aside from my manager hovering around looking over my shoulder all the time.

Cons

Pathetic commission rate and hourly pay. Monthly commission targets changed so you couldn't gauge how much you'd actually make ahead of time. Commission starts at 0.5% and even in a slow month you have to sell $15k just to hit 1%. I worked st the outlet store and never saw more than 1% commission even in December and January with over $35k in sales both months. For a Fortune 500 company, they sure are cheap.
    Unless you plan on working part time, or sticking with the company for 15+ years and moving to a regular store, don't waste your time working here. Full time employees get screwed cuz they have higher sales goals without a higher commission rate.

Advice to Management

Increase the commission rate for lower volume stores.

"Working for Helzberg diamonds"

Current Employee - Manager-In-Training in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Manager-In-Training in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really do love working for Helzberg diamonds outlet. I would not work for the traditional Helzberg stores; because they don't allow for negotiation sales tactics. In the outlet division you can really meet the customer in middle with beautiful jeweler items. The pay for an entry sales position is fairly competitive with many other and the training is excellent. Work for the outlet division and you can go anywhere.

Cons

Well it's retail so you'll work crazy hours during peek seasons (Valentina day, Black Friday, and Christmas). If you wanna move up have to show extreme sales potential. But don't be surprised if you passed up by someone else who ( butter up/ brown noises upper management ).

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees with management and hiring experience. Other wise you will miss out on huge growth for your company.

"Luxury Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team becomes like family. Good hours, good product, decent pay

Cons

Commission based, if you do not achieve sales goals it will lead to termination

Advice to Management

Please stop with the free "holiday" gifts! They are exhausting on your employees and DO NOT generate sales. The birthday & anniversary gifts are a nice touch but just giving a guy a coupon for a free necklace does not lead to sales- they give the free necklace as the gift!!! The $50 off $50 takes time away from potentially turning a profit by working on following up with other leads and investing energy which results in no profit-- toward the sales goal of the associate or the company in general.

It wastes the associates time by guiding a guest around for 30 minutes trying to help them decide on their free gift.