Hendrick Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Hendrick Health System President and CEO Tim Lancaster
Tim Lancaster

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits, great HR department, great learning environment (in 5 reviews)

• Hendrick Medical Center is focused on quality patient care and outcomes (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay, insurance is not the greatest, people in supervisory positions that shouldn't be, don't care about your feelings (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Human Resources"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Abilene, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Abilene, TX

I have been working at Hendrick Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hendrick provides me with a great work life balance. The benefits associated are incredible and they offer reduced cost on health insurance based on a wellness screening. I believe that Hendrick cares for my well-being. From employee to employee interaction to the interactions with leadership, I know that I belong here and I am treated with respect every single day. Hendrick has given me opportunities to grow professionally. I love that Hendrick offers a wide variety of opportunities from being involved with Employee Wellness activities to all the ways I can support out local communality through outreaches and fundraisers. Even though I don't have direct patient care, I know that my job and responsibilities influences those who have direct patient care. I know that our Executive Leadership is one that cares about employees and patients and does their very best to make decisions for what is right for Hendrick and Abilene.

Cons

Not a whole lot. I would say that Hendrick values their employees opinions and when there is an area for improvement, our Leadership does everything in their ability to make changes and to listen to the employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to give opportunities to people. Thank you for all your hard work.

2. "Analyst"

I have been working at Hendrick Health System full-time

Pros

Great environment and great benefits.

Cons

None to mention at the time.

"A Lot of changes for better and for worse."

Current Employee - A Long Term Hard Worker in Abilene, TX
    Current Employee - A Long Term Hard Worker in Abilene, TX

I have been working at Hendrick Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For patient care this hospital is top notch. Great medical staff and up to date technology. Always building bigger and better things for the future of healthcare.

Cons

Too much employee turnover. Not enough incentives for employees who work hard (EX:Noticed same employees chosen for Employee of the Quarter 2 or 3 different times when others with 15,20 or 25+ years and HR folders to prove their worthiness are never chosen for it). Lots of favoritism in management. Some employees seem to get away with murder when others who go above and beyond their duties are just expected to deal with it. The feelings of co-workers dealing with other under performing employees are not dealt with accordingly, basically if you can do all the work, the other "warm body" sits beside you doing nothing is OK since at the end of the day all the work is done and you both come back and do it again the next day. Is this the meaning of a "Gallop Great Workplace"? There needs to better training of new hires and all employees should share equal work duties in their respective areas. Too many new hires seem to not know what they walked into and basically "freeze in place". Better HR screening would alleviate this.

Advice to Management

I actually love working for this hospital. It is like my second home. But I think you should start better training for new employees in all fields to overcome the turnover rates. It seems like years ago, people were hired that fit the job but now people are hired to just fill space. Hiring and paying new employees that are experienced will make this hospital thrive even better. Secondly I suggest you take a closer look at the long term employees that you have that have never been recognized by the organization for what they have done. This is so important so that it does not look like a "favorites" game. The employees that are long term and keep the patient care flowing are the ones who are winning the Gallop awards for you year after year, not the ones who seem to not know why they are even here. Take surveys of the employees that are 15 or more years in and ask their opinions on areas of YOUR concern, I promise it will be an eye-opener and the results will make Hendrick prosper more than ever before. Too many employees are walking on egg shells because they feel they have "lost their place" among all the change. Have faith in the experienced people you have, recognize them for what they have already done (all the past accolades we have received), for without us you would not already be multiple award winners. And lastly, please change the way you deal with what I call "warm bodies". The patient care is too important and the reputation of Hendrick stands on the laurels of the employees our patients come in contact with. Any one with multiple issues of under performance and showing signs of being uninterested in their job should be replaced with respected and qualified people that will keep Hendrick one of the best hospitals in Texas.

4. "CNA"

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant CNA
    Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant CNA

I have been working at Hendrick Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good team value and work ethic and a hospital setting

Cons

Not enough staff and sometimes long hours

5. "Phlebotomy"

I have been working at Hendrick Health System full-time

Pros

great work environment, ease of location, facilities clean neat and orderly. Atmosphere creates warm feeling of comfort and navigation

Cons

due to some facility modifications some areas are difficult to access.

Advice to Management

none at present

6. "Overall system"

I have been working at Hendrick Health System full-time

Pros

Faith-based, not tax-based system Proactive, visionary leadership.

Cons

Widespread misogyny, especially in the C-suite.

Hendrick Health System Response

Dec 15, 2017 – Employee Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. As an organization with a zero tolerance policy for harassment against any person, we are concerned about your sentiment. At Hendrick, we take pride... More

7. "Great place to work for. Salary cap makes it difficult to want to stay."

Former Employee - Clinical Technician in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Clinical Technician in Abilene, TX

I worked at Hendrick Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Friendly people and they show you they appreciate you. Very family and community oriented. Free ham or turkey for Christmas or Thanksgiving.

Cons

Mandatory overtime and salary cap. The hospital is usually understaffed. The health benefits are over priced and under performance and usually end up taking half of your check.

Advice to Management

Update salaries for non nursing staff to national average.

"Phlebotomist"

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Abilene, TX
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Abilene, TX

I have been working at Hendrick Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Christian value. The people are friendly.

Cons

Parts of the hospital need to be restored

Advice to Management

I can't find a bad word to say about management

"MLT"

Current Employee - Mlt in Abilene, TX
    Current Employee - Mlt in Abilene, TX

I have been working at Hendrick Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A really good company to work for.

Cons

The turn over rate is very high.

"Committed to Excellence"

Current Employee - Nurse Recruitment & Retention Officer
    Current Employee - Nurse Recruitment & Retention Officer

I have been working at Hendrick Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture at Hendrick is unique to any other company I've ever worked for. Although Hendrick has more than 3000 employees, you never feel like "just a number." Every single employee is made to feel like we belong. Our Mission Statement sums up the culture and commitment of Hendrick to our patients.

Cons

The only way my experience as an employee at Hendrick could be improved is if I didn't live 50 miles away! Because of my husband's job, we cannot move, but the commute is worth it!

Advice to Management

My advice to management is just to continue listening to your employees and living the Mission. Recognition and encouragement are essential, and you do both so well.