Hendrick Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Hendrick Health System President and CEO Tim Lancaster
Tim Lancaster

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits, great HR department, great learning environment (in 4 reviews)

• good people but short staffed always, (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay, insurance is not the greatest, people in supervisory positions that shouldn't be, don't care about your feelings (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Human Resources"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Abilene, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Abilene, TX

I have been working at Hendrick Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hendrick provides me with a great work life balance. The benefits associated are incredible and they offer reduced cost on health insurance based on a wellness screening. I believe that Hendrick cares for my well-being. From employee to employee interaction to the interactions with leadership, I know that I belong here and I am treated with respect every single day. Hendrick has given me opportunities to grow professionally. I love that Hendrick offers a wide variety of opportunities from being involved with Employee Wellness activities to all the ways I can support out local communality through outreaches and fundraisers. Even though I don't have direct patient care, I know that my job and responsibilities influences those who have direct patient care. I know that our Executive Leadership is one that cares about employees and patients and does their very best to make decisions for what is right for Hendrick and Abilene.

Cons

Not a whole lot. I would say that Hendrick values their employees opinions and when there is an area for improvement, our Leadership does everything in their ability to make changes and to listen to the employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to give opportunities to people. Thank you for all your hard work.

"11 years of hell"

Former Employee - Technician in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Technician in Abilene, TX

Pros

In today's economy... It's a job. Lots of good people to work with.
    You just can't trust any of them....

Cons

It's a big high school. Constant gossip traveling the halls. Even the cafeteria is a reminder of school. Various clicks sitting at the same tables everyday. And if you do not live a lifestyle they see fit then
    You have a target on your back. Management ask employees for ideas on how to improve and even form committees, but in the end they do what is financially beneficial instead of improving quality of care. If you need a job in healthcare, look else where.

Advice to Management

Quit controlling your employees like they do people in north Korea. Your employees are the back bone of any business. How many good employees do you have to run off before you realize your treating them like dirt?

"Politics"

Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Abilene, TX

I worked at Hendrick Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to get in. Hours are decent.

Cons

Unless you know someone you will never advance in this hospital. It's about who you know and not what you know. Politics play a huge part in this job. Interviewing for advancement doesn't mean a thing unless you know someone. If they "like" you, you're in. If not, you're screwed.

The pay is also the worse when it comes to the medical field. They spend so much money on the hospital but yet, cut back overtime opportunities, pay, raises and bonuses. Short staffed, constant call-ins and hiring the wrong kind of people make this a difficult environment to work in.

Advice to Management

If you're going to ask for opinions then take them into consideration. Train your employees well so they feel comfortable working. Throwing people out there isn't going to benefit the patients or the hospital. Your patients are people not a number. This hospital has fallen far from the family environment. Greed has taken over and this is why people look down at this hospital.

"Awful place to work if you're not a specialist."

I worked at Hendrick Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, starbucks, quiznos, and a fifth word.

Cons

Leadership, pay, pettiness, and hive mentality.

"Awful"

Former Employee - Nurse Aide
    Former Employee - Nurse Aide

I worked at Hendrick Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary, Making your own schedule

Cons

Hateful,hurtful mean people that stick together. No teamwork and you can't have an opinion. If they don't want you they wil find a way to make your experience sad and make you quit

Advice to Management

Stop being one sided and listen to all your employees. Don't play favorites

"A decent company that has let things go to their heads..."

I have been working at Hendrick Health System full-time

Pros

There are some really good people that work there with good hearts and good intentions. It's too bad the administration and Human Resources doesn't care about them.

Cons

Administrative policies put you at a socio-economic disadvantage as they look after themselves. They steal from your own savings to pay you what they already owe you. They keep benefits from you while they decide if you are worthy of them. Their HR staff is a rude and petty bunch who think too highly of themselves. They treat you well when recruiting and hiring then leave you in the dust afterward.

Advice to Management

1) Learn to treat your employees like human beings. 2) Stop talking about treating people equally and actually do it. 3) Put policies into place that allow employees to build and use benefits from the moment they are hired and stop punishing them by withholding benefits. 4) Actually follow your own mission statement.

7. "Politics hiding behind fraudulent mission statement"

Former Employee - NONE
    Former Employee - NONE

I worked at Hendrick Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Be a consistent role player indefinitely. Maintain boundaries keeping personal issue and areas of yours or your families lives private and fit in. If that's the way you are naturally then that's the pro positive I can state.

Cons

Administration, Human Resources Dept. Salaries to cost of living ratio is on the low end of range compared to national statistics. To help financial profile this facility has acted contrary to its own core values and no longer has the same solid integrity it once had. I should have left a long time ago but was trying to be a loyal, grateful and engaged employee. Learned early on that the only way to make the income that others were earning all around this country, that I had to get at least 10 hrs of OT per cycle. It was overlooked for the most part for my entire time there. And working late was often expected. But then financial planning and the young inexperienced desk jockeys with business, accounting or hospital adm degrees started trimming fat when the opportunity presented itself.

Advice to Management

Ask the community for intercessory prayers.

"My experience at hendrick has been very disapointing."

Current Employee - CNA
    Current Employee - CNA

Pros

I enjoy some of the people I work with and my patients.

Cons

I don't make enough money for what I do. My boss is biased, if the peons have issues at work she shrugs it off but if the nurses have issues then we get confronted about it. Some of our nurses are too lazy. If they wanted to sit around and be lazy they shouldn't have went to school for nursing,

Advice to Management

I wish management would stop being tight wads and start paying a decent wage and I wish they would hire nurses that want to do their job,

"management could care less"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Abilene, TX

I worked at Hendrick Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nurses in ICU are awesome for the most part
    ICU has a nice layout
    The other units are great to work for
    There are MANY physicians who really care about their patients and the staff taking care of them. The physicians take the time to get to know other staff; of course, like any hospital, there are a few bad doctors.

Cons

A few nurses in ICU are stuck up/think they're God's gift to nursing
    Management doesn't care about patient safety or nurse safety
    You're lucky if you have a tech in ICU that will do their job.

Advice to Management

Seriously listen to your employees instead of playing a blame game with them. Nurses don't become nurses to be burned out and unhappy in life. ICU is a tough place, so you have to engage and listen to your nurses and staff.

10. "Administrative Assistant"

I worked at Hendrick Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stay busy, challenging work, benefits

Cons

Certain cluster management performs unethical acts against people they don't like & is not completely straight forward on paperwork

Hendrick Health System Response

Nov 16, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

We encourage anyone to report unethical acts to the Corporate Compliance anonymous hotline: 877-445-7987. We take all reports seriously and will investigate to the extent necessary.