Hennepin County Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 7, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jon Pryor, MD

Pros
  • Great Benefits offered through the county (in 9 reviews)

• Was a great place to work with a wide variety of functions performed (in 7 reviews)

"Registered Medical Assistant"

Former Employee - Registered Medical Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Registered Medical Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center (More than 5 years)

Pros

They are one of the few places left to have pension and Union benefit and cater to low income or homeless patients.

Cons

They are running like a business rather than true health care, only interested in numbers. They have spent the last fives years expanding to keep up with the competition. However the last year they have been Millions in the hole now causing the middle staff and now lower staff to be cut.
    The union has less pull anymore, we are lucky to get a 1% raise each year.

Advice to Management

You need to look at your spending rather than keeping up with your competition. You overbuilt trying to increase staff to cover new increased goals of patients. You spend too much money on lean teams and out sourcing buisiness companies to evaluate how to run things efficiently. When all you need to do is meet with staff members whom actually do the work to tell you how to better things. How much money has been waisted on that?

2. "inpatient rn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great learning experiences for new grads

Cons

Staffing, no recognition from upper management

"HIM"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The doctors ability to review, refer to patients to HOTC and sign orders in a timely manner was better when HCMC included HOTC in the Epic software.

Cons

When HCMC bought HOTC they assured everyone they would not loose their positions and if so they would have an opportunity to find a position within the organization. No true they took over and laid-off people with over 18 years experience working in Hospice because they couldn't work a full 40 hours a week during Cancer treatment. If HCMC takes over your company don't believe that you will have a job.

Advice to Management

If you are going to take over a company don't dump the people that are dedicated to HOTC they work during Cancer treatment so their supervisor or other coworkers don't have to due their work. Don't dump one of the most dedicated people HOTC had. Zero respect from a Medical Center towards people fighting Cancer.

5. "Absolute lack of training in the Cancer Center"

Former Employee - Cancer Registrar in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Cancer Registrar in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time

Pros

The CEO and the board are fantastic. They eat in the cafeteria with everyone else, and came to the new employee orientation to meet everyone. Upper management is very approachable.

Cons

I was hired and given absolutely no training in my position. I was told that I was a "nuisance" and that I was "wasting their time" because I had no idea how to do my job. I was terminated because I "wasn't comprehending the position". I have spoken with an unemployment attorney and we are putting together a case.

Advice to Management

You cannot hire someone in a brand new position, and expect them to know the job by reading a manual. You MUST have training in place

"Lack of good caring managers only worried about what they can do that makes them look good."

Current Employee - Lab in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Lab in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

I get paid on time and have decent benefits.

Cons

Time off is impossible. Issues of daily workplace are not addressed in a timely manner. Too much politics, clicks and silo mentality amoung management.

Advice to Management

Unless their is an epiphany and change of heart and soul by mangement to care not only for their staff who gives excellent care to the patient high turn over will ensue.

"Flexible and great benefits, super stressful at times."

Current Employee - BA MA in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - BA MA in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits package, great health insurance for individuals. Some amazing people work here and keep the place afloat. Cool location and mission, great medical library with tons of educational resources and super helpful staff.

Cons

Wretched management, high turnover, and random firings when departments are planning improvements, which significantly stalls upgrades and delays progress.

Way too much favoritism, and ironically, the 'favorites' are the worst employees. The more trained and skilled you are, the more they work you to the max to cover the slack of the inept, chronic sick callers, & FMLA abusers (there's a lot).

Possibly the worst human resources department I've ever had to deal with. I wouldn't even give them a job at McDonald's mopping floors if they volunteered. They frequently lose critical paper work, and viciously hunt out good employees for the most trivial issues, while ignoring the worst, do nothing employees.

Advice to Management

Pull it together and show better direction. I've seen too many wonderful people leave here due to confusing tactics and promotion of bad workers. It really deals a huge blow to morale and you're practically encouraging bad work habits.

Clean up the hospital's imagine, it's known to area residents as a place to get pain killers, and frequent dealing is done in plain sight of visitors and patients.

Encourage overweight smoking staff to not smoke at the emergency room entrance and up their insurance premiums. Better yet, fire them, it's embarrassing, unwelcoming, and hypocritical.

"Great pension if you can handle staying there long enough to be vested."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pension, if you can handle staying their long enough to be vested.

Cons

Horrible working conditions, unsafe work environments, constantly changing peoples roles, laying off, demoting, and not following through on improvements.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable.

"Poor management, constant turnover and chaos."

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Technician in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Technician in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Benefits, not much more.

Cons

Management, Scheduling, shortages of staffing, professionalism.

Advice to Management

Employees who are there to actually work should be rewarded and used as the example and not taken advantage of and abused for those that just take up space.

"Top heavy in directors and lack of managers causes confusion amoung workers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Improvements do occur when senior management is aware of benefits. Company has long history will be around in 100 years.

Cons

Not enough recognition, pay increases, training or upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Re-analyze current mangement structure and get the reall management back down to line level and not director level. The less there are directors the better, more managers that roll up to less directors. Directors are not managers at HCMC they are misplaced.

"HCMC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

-altruistic/mission focused environment
    -your work can actually make a difference
    -independence

Cons

-No career path
    -Poor financial health
    -Layoffs
    -Poor training

Advice to Management

Show your workers that you care about them, and make an investment in their progress.