Hennion and Walsh Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
William Walsh

"Broker"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Hennion and Walsh full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Hennion & Walsh for over 7 years. I started in the training class right out of college and had no idea what the real working world was like. Yes, the training class is tough with long hours and low pay but the training class is what sets H&W apart from the rest of the broker dealers. They want to set you up to succeed. Most of the reviews I’ve read were from trainees that quite within the first 2 years. They expected the low hanging fruit and were shocked by the amount of work it takes to be successful.

H&W provides the study material and agenda to set you up to pass your series 7. It’s up to you to put in the time after work and on weekends to pass the test. (At my new job, I am watching kids fail over and over again because they have to study on their own agenda/material) H&W also supplies you with leads for you to grow your book of business and once again you must put in the time in order to make money and be successful. The phone rings off the hook with opportunities for you to grow; you just have to pick them up.

H&W is truly an open/family company. I felt comfortable calling anyone in the office and asking for help. From the partners to all the VPs, each would take the time to answer questions and help in any way they can. We become family over the years. We are there for each other and care to be involved with each other’s lives. We hang out with each other’s families, on weekends, at children’s birthday parties/graduations, at vacation houses. It’s hard to sit down and list all the great things about H&W but I don’t have enough space to relive the last 7 years of my life. I truly miss the day to day fun and I still talk to the partners, VPs, and others each week.

Cons

The first two years are very frustrating. You are a college grad. Most people today graduate with a degree, you are nothing special, so put in the time and work to set yourself apart, gain a successful career and make some friends along the way.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! It’s amazing to see the work ethic I have learned over the last 7 years and how I use it in my new career. Trust me; nobody else seems to want to learn to succeed like the way H&W taught me.

"Not a good career path..."

I worked at Hennion and Walsh full-time

Pros

Some really knowledgeable financial advisors who are passionate about what they do and grow the firm a lot! Great PR/marketing.

Cons

Bullying,low salary (very cheap Partners)- their ,sexual harassment (google it),a training "program" that is a glorified internship (expect to make 1000 calls a day,run errands for VP'S,shred papers,dress up as cartoon characters at events), a dress code for men,many bad reviews from unhappy clients, and employees that come and go like a revolving door...mysteriously.

Advice to Management

NJ is small, I would stop treating people like garbage because your ruining your own reputation.

"Financial Trainee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

Pros

They give you access to the materials, tools, and knowledge to begin a career in finance, even with little or no experience/finance background. Competitive environment. Management wants to see you succeed.

Cons

Essentially an inside sales position to start, with more responsibility added over time. Long hours on the phone is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Flexibility as a private company is nice, but as company grows added structure should be considered an asset.

"Not As It Seems"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Hennion and Walsh full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small company that provides a platform to get licensed and learn the basics of the market. You spend 90% of your time on the phone, so you could consider that communication experience.

Cons

Little to no benefits - expensive healthcare plan and no vacation time. Things are not structured within the firm so you have no idea what your abilities or constraints are. Management will just yell at you when you do something wrong. Not a lot of opportunity for advancement- you just keep calling and trying to sell a security to anyone that bites, regardless of suitability.

Advice to Management

Be fair and have a plan in place. Create an employee handbook and treat employees with maybe a little respect. Also- stop posting fake reviews on Glassdoor.

"Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Junior Bond Broker in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Junior Bond Broker in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Hennion and Walsh full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training program is very efficient and gets you licensed and registering very fast if you can keep up.
    Everyone is extremely helpful and will go out of their way to help you.
    You will never be asked to compromise yourself. You only will be asked to sell top quality municipal bonds.
    It's a great atmosphere. Everyone works hard and helps each other.
    Great place to be if you want to work hard and build a career.

Cons

You will always come in as a class so you will progress together. The hours are long and it's not easy at all at the beginning. No real time off but very flexible.

Advice to Management

Less pressure more advice

"Great spot to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Hennion and Walsh full-time

Pros

Great Company to work for. Everything is provided for you to succeed, and you can go as far with you it as you want. No holding you back.

Cons

Not many to be honest, I've enjoyed my time a ton.

Advice to Management

None

"Broker Trainee"

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hennion and Walsh full-time

Pros

Sponsored Series 7 and 63

Cons

Sexual harassment by lots of male coworkers.

Advice to Management

Allow for more of an open door policy

"Financial Adviser"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Hennion and Walsh full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to work in the financial services industry then this is a great place to be. I started out in the training program, worked hard, did what I was told, and ultimately found success. It's not rocket science. If you work hard and don't irritate your colleagues then this company will take care of you.

Cons

The pay can be a little tough at first, but what else can you expect from a commission based job. If you have an interest in working on the institutional side of the business then this place isn't for you, but if you want to work with retail clients then there are few better places to work.... If you're liked by upper management, which I guess could be said about any company.

Advice to Management

I don't pretend to know what upper management should do and I'm pretty sure most commenting on here don't either. A clearer management structure may be helpful but who knows. If it's not broke don't fix it

"...annnnnnd ANOTHER phony review from management."

Former Employee - Bond Jockey in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Bond Jockey in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Hennion and Walsh full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zero. I repeat: Zero. Unless, of course, you're coming straight out of school with absolutely no licenses and can't get hired by any OTHER firm that'll sponsor you (Spoiler Alert: They will, just apply), in which case get your licenses, update your resume immediately, and leave at your first opportunity.

Cons

Come on, guys, it's so blatantly obvious that you're padding your reviews with egregiously optimistic ratings. Ever notice how there's absolutely NO middle-of-the road reviews? They're either awful or AWEsome.....the awful ones are from all the past and current employees who you treat like trash in your send up to 80s boiler room movies...the AWEsome ones, well, I'm sure everyone's figured out by now who's posting THOSE, right?

Advice to Management

Spend less time posting these fake reviews and more time evolving from an 80s boiler room, you're really not fooling ANYbody anymore.

"Financial Advisor"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Parsippany, NJ

Pros

Very little pros except you can acquire your securities licenses.

Cons

No understanding of employee retention. Very little understanding of the financial markets from management, run more like a poor mans boiler room.

Advice to Management

Retool your business model and improve top down accountability structure.