Henry Ford Community College Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Adjunct Faculty"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Henry Ford Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-operative and helpful department where I teach.

Cons

Their HR department is not very good. Borderline incompetent.

Advice to Management

Hire smarter people and increase adjunct salaries. You have a lot of potential. You can increase your profile by hiring more qualified personnel who have their degrees from Tier 1 universities rather than the current Tier 3 and 4 degrees. You can do that by increasing salaries. You get what you pay for and students understand that too.

2. "Great educational program"

Current Employee - Inside Track Mentor in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Inside Track Mentor in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Henry Ford Community College (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. Awesome management. Great educational/life balance

Cons

Not enough hours. No positions in spring/summer

3. "A rollercoaster of mismanagement from the higher level staff with personal axes to grind on their climb to the top."

Current Employee - Network Technician in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Network Technician in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Henry Ford Community College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great staff, the people are awesome to work with. A solid infrastructure that can be built on in a higher education environment, and room to grow and learn new things.

Cons

Most of the IT Staff is contract employees. There is very very little training budget for learning new skills. They don't hire much in house currently. You may be working with someone who is a full time employee doing the same job as you with better benefits, yet less knowledge and more pay. If you're a contract employee they do not give you the option to take free classes though that is what was promised when we were hired in. The Vice Presidents don't listen. The help desk is a joke and causes significantly more issues than it fixes.

Advice to Management

Hire your employees from contract to full time within a 90 day period. Shift your priorities to make life easier for students to empower themselves. Hire the staff that's needed. If you don't have the budget, scrape and fight for it, don't roll over.

5. "Janitorial"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Pros

It's a great working environment. Staff and faculty are friendly and caring. Diverse campus.

Cons

Somewhat understaffed. Low morale due to favoritism.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone the same.

6. "It's simple and comfortable"

Current Employee - Tutor in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Tutor in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Henry Ford Community College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to know new students and work with them...
    Tutor them and also ask them about their problems and concerns to help them with it

Cons

Well.. let's start at the hardness of the subject you are teaching... I am doing math and it is pretty hard to explain to others

Advice to Management

Well if they could add a bit more tutors

7. "Front desk Advising"

Current Employee - Clerk in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Clerk in Dearborn, MI

Pros

its very amazing place to work in, I like the way they are treating their employees.

Cons

The time is money in HFC.

8. "Instructor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Pros

Secure and plentiful parking, friendly and competent support staff. Dedicated students in the program I taught.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations for an adjunct professor: I was paid for five hours per week. Given the hours spent preparing for lecture, teaching in two labs, giving lab practicals and preparing and grading exams, I spent at least twenty five hours per week on the course. After two years, I was told by email I was not needed and "thank you for my dedication."

Advice to Management

More cooperative and collegiate meetings. Department chair uses a quick, dictatorial, critical management style.

9. "VTL lab Tech"

Current Employee - Intern in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Intern in Dearborn, MI

Pros

The people at Henry Ford College are friendly. Managment is very understanding and they dont expect you to do more than what your job dictates.Overall a great place to work

Cons

There arent many cons for working in HFC. Other than the lack of decent coffee on campus.In general working at HFC is great.

Advice to Management

None.

10. "Enrollment specialist"

Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dearborn, MI

Pros

awesome place to work. really loved working there

Cons

really didnt have anything bad to say

11. "Lead Carpenter and Painter in Theater Department"

Former Employee - Lead Scenic Carpenter and Painter in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Lead Scenic Carpenter and Painter in Dearborn, MI

Pros

Working closely with students and staff as well as working independently. Educating students in: basic power tools, basic construction and installation of scenery, painting, painting techniques, various tools and applications of paint including faux finishes. Encouraging students to embrace current skills and applying them to basic applications as well as developing skills into marketable trades.

Cons

Primary complication was, unfortunately, working with the TD. However, if you can work with him, you can work with just about anyone. Newest and biggest problem is that the school is downsizing the theater department to focus on the Virtual 3D Lab. The job used to be $18.50 per hour for 18 hours a week with full benefits (even I was surprised about that!). Now, the job is less than $15 and hour for 15 hours of work and benefits have been cut. Last I heard (almost a year ago), the position was going to be cut from the program and all responsibilities handed over to the TD.

Advice to Management

If you are downsizing the department due to lack of interest in the program, that is understandable. However, many students whom could not afford a full Bachelors program used that program as a stepping stone into a 4 year institution. If turnover is what is bothering you, offer an opportunity for a technical focus. Technical degrees in theater are hard to come by anymore and are desperately needed.