Henry Street Settlement Reviews | Glassdoor

Henry Street Settlement Reviews

Updated Sep 18, 2019

Found 57 reviews

3.7
Henry Street Settlement CEO  	David Garza  (no image)
David Garza
Pros
  • "Great place to work and a great culture(in 5 reviews)

• "Good work environment; co-workers were easygoing and friendly(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Most of the time there is no room for growth and a strong need to develope better communication(in 3 reviews)

• "Awful physical working conditions, little support from facilities in rectifying problems (e(in 2 reviews)

1. "part time worker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Henry Street Settlement part-time for more than a year

Pros

work environment, culture, great people

Cons

stressful, loud, nonstop moving, tiring

Henry Street Settlement2019-06-18

"Tense, Uptight, Overworked"

Former Employee - Development

I worked at Henry Street Settlement full-time

Pros

The benefits are good, and among employees, there is a nice sense of community and camaraderie. They also do very good work. The services they provide their clients are extremely needed. They get important work done., and NYC is better off because this place exists.

Cons

They treat their employees (at least in my department) very badly. They have a real problem with bad communication. If you make one mistake, everyone turns on you, and you will never be able to be seen as doing anything right again. It is a very tense environment. Management collectively either loves you or hate you; sees you as a capable person, or not at all. And it can change abruptly. One mistake, or you ask... too many questions, and all of a sudden, the group will see you as a problem, and completely incapable. I saw five different people be fired from the same position in a year and a half, and management acted like they were just having a slew of very bad luck, and made fun of how bad the employees who had been fired were at their jobs, but at some point, it became pretty clear to many employees that the problem was with management. Five people in 18 months??! They set up a very judgmental, strict, bureaucratic environment where everything required unusual detailed steps, (Color-coordinated folders and post-its left in correlating baskets for communicating different types of information to senior management) and one false move could be "deadly," and at the same time, they provided little support, and overloaded their employees. Most employees seem very overworked and extremely tired. Also, the work space is run down. I was told there was lead in the pipes and not to drink water from the sink. It's a very old building, and sometimes I had allergic reactions to different spaces, and I am not allergic to anything, so it made me wonder if there was lead or asbestos in the walls.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Listen to them. Allow room for mistakes and growth. Provide a healthier work space.

Henry Street Settlement2019-09-18
  3. "265 Henry Street"

Current Employee - Meal Deliverer in New York, NY

I have been working at Henry Street Settlement part-time for less than a year

Pros

It is an amazing non profit organization. From my perspective I can see the company growing more.

Cons

They do not pay enough to live in New York City, comfortably.

Advice to Management

Give everyone full-time hours and maybe we will all go home happy.

Henry Street Settlement2019-07-31
  4. "Henry street needs to move at a faster pace"

I have been working at Henry Street Settlement full-time for less than a year

Pros

They do amazing work that benefits the community. Innovative ideas are encouraged and supported. Some supervisors are incredibly supportive and are really there to help you grow as a professional. These people inspire me everyday. They really encourage people to stay within the organization for years.

Cons

There is inconsistency within departments on how supervisors create a warm work environment and provide recognition to their staffs. Some don’t do anything at all. They don’t have ongoing talks about diversity, racism, privilege, and oppression. They don’t provide us with trainings which feels like they don’t invest in their employees. Some departments are so disorganized and don’t utilize enough technology. The HR... department is frustrating and they don’t advocate for you.

Advice to Management

Henry street should have some formal system where employees can provide constructive feedback to their superiors. There should be ways that people can work in other departments. There needs to be more conversations about power and privilege. There needs to be a more push for supervisors and program directors to provide recognition to their hard working staff. Henry Street does amazing work for the community and can... achieve amazing things if they listened to the needs of their employees (not just those at the top)

Henry Street Settlement2019-06-18
  5. "Come work at a place created for the community"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Henry Street Settlement full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really great work in the Lower East Side.

Cons

You can get lost in the sea of employees but they do notice great work.

Henry Street Settlement2019-04-03
  6. "Nice place"

Former Employee - Computer Instructor in New York, NY

I worked at Henry Street Settlement full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Friendly, flexible, people orientated, and caring

Cons

Pay is a bit low, management is off site and hard to contact at times

Henry Street Settlement2019-02-28
  7. "Incredible Culture"

I have been working at Henry Street Settlement full-time

Pros

Henry Street values each employee and is investing significantly in training and development

Cons

Not a variety of food choices in the neighborhood!

Henry Street Settlement2019-01-24
  8. "Intern"

I worked at Henry Street Settlement part-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome ppl. Got me a internships

Cons

just an internship -- so I had to find another job

Henry Street Settlement2019-01-07
  9. "Challenging working conditions, hardworking team"

I worked at Henry Street Settlement full-time

Pros

Very supportive and experienced coworkers, passionate team

Cons

Challenging management styles, not always a healthy working environment

Henry Street Settlement2019-01-11
  10. "Data Research Associate"

I have been working at Henry Street Settlement part-time

Pros

Friendly environment in a no-profit organization.

Cons

There is less growth opportunity given it is a small organization.

Henry Street Settlement2018-09-28