Hensel Phelps Construction Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hensel Phelps Construction President & CEO Jeff Wenaas
Jeff Wenaas

Pros
  • Employee owned, organized, Safety is not just talk, good support from upper management (in 20 reviews)

• Good Company, you will learn a lot (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours but normal for our industry (in 59 reviews)

• Work life balance could be better (in 23 reviews)

"Great company for those willing to work at it"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

HP is a great company for people that are willing to work. This is large commercial construction and you are wrong if you think that these projects get built M-F and 8 hour days. It can be demanding when deadlines are approaching and it's just not for some people. For those of us that can handle the heat we get to build some awesome structures and be a part of some great teams. It annoys me to see so many ex-employees on here making excuses for why they left. Just admit that the company wasn't the right fit and move on.

I've been with HP 10 years and can only say that they have treated me fairly the whole time. I work with a very diverse group that all have equal advancement opportunities and get treated with respect.

We spend a lot of time and money building the culture. There are 6 events a year where HP pays for 100+ employees to come together at the district office to do training, team building and get to know everyone. Most employees go to 3-4 of these events and have a great time.

Cons

It can be tough starting out because you aren't bought in to the process and aren't used to the environment. In time you learn more and begin to feel like you make a difference so it gets easier. The "promote from within" culture means that you are in a new position every 1-3 years as you move up the ladder.

Every boss I currently have (and our CEO!) started out as a Field Engineer just like I did and worked their way up. Everyone of us at some time thought "this sucks" but we kept at it, learned more and moved up.

Advice to Management

The company has changed for the better in the last decade. Keep up the surveys and continue to make the employee's #1. You can't make everyone happy so don't kill yourself trying.

2. "Project Coordinator"

I worked at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great people, challenging projects

Cons

Work life balance could be better

Advice to Management

Keep developing your people. They are what makes this company great

"Co-op"

Former Intern - Co-Op in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Co-Op in Washington, DC

I worked at Hensel Phelps Construction as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I did a 4 month co-op with Hensel Phelps. They are very organized and their HR department made things very easy. They paid for an apartment that I shared with another co-op. The managers made sure I was involved and continued to learn while I was there.

Cons

Long hours. 12 hour work days were not uncommon even as a co-op. I also felt that work was not always done efficiently and some workers were just passing the time rather than getting work done and going home.

5. "Office Engineer"

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work on landmark buildings just as advertised.
    Superintendents are knowledgeable

Cons

Hp has a great system but not all members are trained up on what to do so missing a lot of effective tools to help managed the job. Leads to a lot of unnecessary problems. many meetings are largely ineffective.

Advice to Management

Focus on getting people situation

6. "Grow well-rounded in construction"

Current Employee - Field Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a new graduate, the field engineering experience is priceless. Boots on the ground learning with craft foreman, inspectors and from the office by the engineers, architects and owners. You really have access to it all to get a thorough understanding of the construction process.

Cons

The purpose of the field engineering and office engineering positions should be to give HP employees a solid background of construction, so as they take on a higher positions they know what it is they're managing. Too often I feel like it is a "hazing" process to weed people out, or get the most work out of those in lower positions.

Salary pay with no bonuses or incentives gets old after doing weeks of 12 hour days

Advice to Management

Staff jobs better so "train your replacement" can be executed. The company is growing so rapidly that they are quick to promote people to new positions to fill roles.

Give the 1-5 year employees a small amount of S-Units so they can feel like it really is an employee owned company

7. "Project Engineer"

Pros

Good Company, you will learn a lot.

Cons

Tough to get promoted sometimes

8. "Long hours, good experience."

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am constantly learning and being challenged in this job. Hensel Phelps has a good corporate atmosphere. Fantastic company to work for.

Cons

As goes the nature of construction, expect to work long hours and be flexible to moving as HP has a good assortment of projects all around each district.

9. "Assistant superintendent/QA QC Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Superintendent QA/QC Area Superintendent in Greeley, CO

I worked at Hensel Phelps Construction (More than a year)

Pros

Good company with great people to work with

Cons

You work very long hours with little time off.

10. "Field engineer"

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee owned company, great experience, good people to work with, large projects, high profile projects, clear career path if you work hard

Cons

Long hours, very little down time, thrown to the wolves, large company feel sometimes you feel like a number, almost always living in a large city,

11. "Field Engineer"

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Comfortable atmosphere, good people that build really cool things. not the largest builder, but they are not brokers either. Great benefits

Cons

Not the highest paying but you do get a lot other than direct income.