Hensel Phelps Construction Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hensel Phelps Construction President & CEO Jeff Wenaas
Jeff Wenaas

Pros
  • Employee owned, organized, Safety is not just talk, good support from upper management (in 20 reviews)

• Good Company, you will learn a lot (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours but normal for our industry (in 58 reviews)

• Depending on the job the work life balance became extremely difficult (in 21 reviews)

1. "Great place"

Former Employee - Safety
    Former Employee - Safety

I worked at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time

Pros

Great team really take safety seriously from operation manager all the way Down to craft foreman

Cons

Move a lot but hey .... I love to move. Salary not that competitive but great LONG TERM benefits

2. "Engineer Intern"

I worked at Hensel Phelps Construction as an intern

Pros

Family company, great people, learn a lot, willing to help with any questions or concerns.

Cons

No locations close enough to home, lower salary than average, long hours(but typical for construction)

3. "Intern"

I worked at Hensel Phelps Construction as an intern

Pros

They allowed you to get your feet wet in all the areas of a starting employee. I worked as a field engineer as well as an office engineer.

Cons

Because they move you around so much, you don't get to really grasp and understand what it is really like to be a field engineer or an office engineer.

Advice to Management

When I was in the field I had things to do all the time, but when I was in the office it was a lot harder for me to find something to do because I had to be given something. I found myself asking all the time for things to do and not always being given something. I was able to watch the other office engineers and they would explain to me what they were doing and the process, they were really nice.

"Great company for a long term career"

Pros

Company provides best benefits in the business. Salary is very competitive, but other perks increase your income throughout years of employment. Mobile phone allowance and health coverage for entry level positions. Generous vehicle allowance, profit sharing units and bonuses once Project Engineer level is reached. Direct and Indirect compensation increases greatly as you advance your career.

Upper management is very involved with employees at all levels and very personable. Co-workers are usually intelligent, respectful and fun to hang out with after work. Employees are promoted from within, so they understand what younger employees are going through and there is a strong sense of pride for the company.

Cons

Long hours and demanding schedule. Your work schedule has to adapt to the project you're on which may require longer hours and occasionally weekend or evening hours. Have to commute to where the project is located which could be up to an hour drive each way in bigger cities.

Relocation is typical and expected when you are younger within the company. When relocated, you receive a relocation bonus. As you gain experience within the company, the management does more to accommodate your personal situation in regards to relocation and commuting to projects.

Vacation days can feel limited, but management is understanding if you have to take personal or sick days, which don't count towards vacation.

Advice to Management

Keep advancing the different career paths within the company to allow employees to be successful no matter what their specific strengths are.

6. "By Far the Best!"

Current Employee - Area Superintendent in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Area Superintendent in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

You are surrounded by and learn from the best people in the industry!

Cons

Long hours but normal for our industry

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Procurement / Estimating"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture. Good pay and even better benefits. If you work hard, can multi-task, and have the ability to communicate your needs then you will go far...

Cons

Make sure our young engineers are not getting fixated on only one scope of work. Diversify their experiences...

8. "Fantastic company with great employees."

Current Employee - Office Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Office Engineer in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is always something new to learn and the spectrum of projects is endless. The employees are very knowledgeable and always willing to teach new employees.

Cons

Typically there are Long hours and a lot of paperwork to document procedures set in place by the corporate office. Other than that everything is more than ideal.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Makes it easy to keep long term employment in mind.

9. "Rewarding position. Can be tedious to handle all the layout and can get monotonous at times."

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits. Competitive salary. Easy to get engaged in. Complexity of the scope of work we do. Easy to find the right experience to answer a question or give an example

Cons

Typical cons would be long hours and the never stop working attitude but I believe you need to prove yourself to this company and if you can't handle this you will be passed by the ones who can and will not be rewarded as such.

Advice to Management

Training process is more "trial by fire". There are a lot of resources available that a new hire would not know to find that should be made clear about during the starting period

10. "Office/Field Engineer"

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee owned, organized, Safety is not just talk, good support from upper management.

Cons

Insurance is not the best. No vision.

11. "Project Engineer"

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation
    Challenging Projects
    Employee Ownership
    Strong Team Pride Among Employees
    Consistent Proven Processes from Project to Project

Cons

Not a con, but more so a caution to prospective employees:
    Working with this company is a career decision. Highest employee retainage with employees over 5+ years in the industry.

Advice to Management

Continue and expand leadership development programs.
    Continue to focus on improving work / life balance (This should in turn decrease healthcare costs per employee).