Hensel Phelps Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 30, 2019

3.9
Michael J. Choutka

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Hensel Phelps is employee owned" (in 33 reviews)

• "Great Benefits specially for salary employees" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be difficult in the first 5 years" (in 38 reviews)

• "long hours, questionable promotion related decisions" (in 84 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Hensel Phelps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best company I ever worked for. This is the kind of company where you will never want to leave. Great salary with stellar benefits. Everyone will help you become better, it’s part of the culture of the company. Overall you get everything at this company.

Cons

I can’t think of any but the hours can long. This isn’t really a con but you get what you put in. So no you won’t move up if your advisors don’t think you’re ready.

Advice to Management

Keep on taking care of the employees. It’s why we all stay.

Nov 13, 2018 – Talent Acquisition and Development Manager

We appreciate feedback whether negative or positive and do appreciate your insights. Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We hope you will continue to enjoy working at Hensel Phelps.

2. "Best Company in Construction."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Hensel Phelps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Each project has its own team bond that helps everyone grow to their full potential. Excellent Medical Insurance, roughly 15% of your salary is invested each year into a retirement fund that gains interest, raises each year, reimbursements on training you may request or need, districts all over the country if you wish to transfer or relocate later in your career, yearly team project outings are awesome, upper management and corporate is always coming around and helping out on projects, and last but not least, you get the opportunity to be apart of some of the biggest and best projects around.

Cons

Each project has different management trades which can sometimes be a bad start for new hires, especially when you start out at a below average salary, but if you stick around you will see the advantages of this company and eventually make more money and have a great retirement fund. Main thing I can think of for this section though is not enough Vacation time as other companies offer.

Advice to Management

If you experience projects having a lot of turnaround, try an undercover boss scheme or something to figure out what’s going on. Most of the time it’s your upper management on that project not treating everyone how they should be treated or teaching them the Hensel Phelps Way. Money is not everything and if we can let every new hire experience this then together we will grow and built more people to be great leaders. Also.. try to fit in or expand on some vacation time!

3. "Field Engineer"

I worked at Hensel Phelps full-time

Pros

Salary, benefits, learning opportunities, career advancement

Cons

long hours, always a commute, staff was not friendly with eachother

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hensel Phelps full-time

Pros

Good people, cool projects, many work locations across the US

Cons

Expected to work 12 hours/day, 5 days/week, yet only get paid for 40 hrs. No positive incentives for hard work until the PE level (typically at 3-5 years of experience with the company) - working hard earns you more responsibility, more work, and ultimately more hours. The OE role is a lateral move within the company so no pay increase is associated with this move, yet most move into this role after 2 years with the company. You only really start earning a decent buck for your bang at the 5th year. Even people at 5 years and up within the company seem to struggle with work life balance - just not a great company culture surrounding this subject.

Advice to Management

Create a better work life balance or better pay - hire better people at higher salary who can accomplish more work than those who are lazy and get paid the same to do far less, or provide positive incentives for hard work prior to the PE level.

Jan 24, 2019 – Talent Acquisition and Development Manager

There will be tough days and tough projects but keeping an eye toward the future and the Pros that you’ve listed including good people, cool projects and the variety of work locations, can help... More

5. "Excellent Company to work for!"

Pros

Good Life Balance. Good Management. Fun jobs.

Cons

Could have more vacation days.

6. "Happy to be part of this company"

Current Employee - Office Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Office Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hensel Phelps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great projects. Best team. My construction friends from school don't get to work on nearly as awesome of projects or get the hands on training that I get every day. Pays well. I see what my bosses make at their level and future earnings (profit share, retirement money, etc) and know my hard work is worth it. It's hard to come by jobs at solid companies that offer all of that. They do cool things like golf tournaments, beach days, tons of charity outings and everything is always paid for. They take care of their employees that is for sure.

Cons

Sometimes I think their safety and processes are overkill but at the end of the day it's a good thing--not all companies take those things as seriously as HP.

7. "Excellent Benefits and People"

I have been working at Hensel Phelps full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people at Hensel Phelps are the best in the business. They really become like family. The company long term benefits really set you up for success. In an era where saving is hard, the company does it for you and allows you to be set up for an early retirement.

Cons

Sometimes the company can seem very old school in its ways. It is improving, but some of the management and fundamentals are not with the current times. Work life balance and communication from upper management are two weak areas.

Advice to Management

Communicate more from the top down and adapt a little better to the current times when it comes to flexibility.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greeley, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greeley, CO

I worked at Hensel Phelps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot about your trades and how the company works

Cons

long hours (8 to 10 hr), Work week are 50 hr or 60 hr, ever 3 mouths you work a Saturday, and every 4 mouth you work a night shift

9. "OK company"

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hensel Phelps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team Work activities after work hours

Cons

I was Over worked most weeks. Field Engineer need to grow up

10. "Hey FE/OEs I hope you like 60+ Hour weeks!"

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Hensel Phelps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are solid. Coworkers are great.

Cons

Bad work/life balance. I've never worked less than 60 hours a week, on a low to industry standards salary. Hire more dircet hire field staff or pay us by the hour. Tired of being a wage slave. It's not like this at other companies, I don't care what the HP HR/PR/Social Media team member answering responding to reviews on here says.

Advice to Management

Pay by the hour, or mandate a 40 hour work week.

Nov 13, 2018 – Talent Acquisition and Development Manager

Without knowing your work history or how many places you’ve worked, it is hard to know if the other companies you reference are in the construction world? We are not aware of any large General... More