KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 489 of over 563 reviews

4.1
Hensel Phelps President and CEO  Michael J. Choutka
Michael J. Choutka
Pros
  • "Employee owned makes a culture of accountability(in 46 reviews)

• "Great benefits/retirement packages given to each employee(in 45 reviews)

• Cons
  • "You will work long hours (10-12 hours normally, could easily be longer when pushing to meet deadlines)(in 135 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is nearly impossible to keep(in 54 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Hensel Phelps and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

One of the best construction companies

Feb 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Total compensation package is almost unheard of. A guaranteed 15% contribution to your 401k every year. Long term bonuses from stocks and shares can go over $100k each year depending on how many years you been with the company. This company rewards you for just sticking around.

Cons

Expect to work long days. If you’re looking for a 40hour job. This is not for you.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Quality work, great projects, nice people

Jul 27, 2021 - Senior Estimator in Pleasanton, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Quality work, great projects, nice people, very competitive compensation package for those that stay for a few years

Cons

Standard construction downside of long hours around project milestones and often working on projects requiring longer than ideal commutes.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Some good and some needs improvement

Jun 14, 2021 - Field Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Hensel Phelps develops/trains people extremely well and promotes a high-accountability work culture. They are all great teachers and really buy into “train your replacement” and other company mantras. They also have unmatched benefits and extremely smart processes. If there is something to do, Hensel Phelps has figured out the best way to do it. If you know a better way, they’ll listen and you’ll be rewarded for it. They are clear communicators about their processes and very good at creating consistency in the way their people do things. Nobody in the company is above any job task, which speak volumes. HP craft is amazing.

Cons

Work life balance is not always bad. However, the company culture around this topic is fractured. There are some leaders in the company that believe that there is a correlation between hours worked and productiveness. Many employees are intimidated into staying long hours, even if they don’t have any more work that day. It is common for employees to work 10+ hours at slower project stages out of fear of hazing by mid level management. Diversity also could use work. Harassment of protected class employees isn’t always appropriately addressed. It seems that the company focus more on social events than actual inclusion. There is a lack of transparency regarding job placement.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company, Great Experience

Jul 21, 2021 - Field Engineer in Cheyenne, WY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I learned more than I could have ever expected in a very short amount of time. Everyone within the company is extremely helpful and holds a very high standard. For a company that is as large as HP, I never felt like a number. They definitely maintain a family atmosphere.

Cons

Long hours, but that goes with the territory of being in construction. HP puts a big emphasis on employee moral, so while you may work some long hours, it will be made up for in one way or another.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great

Jul 17, 2021 - Field Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Responsibility Benefits Experience 401k employer contribution every year Hsa account

Cons

Weekends More than 50 hour weeks Liability

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Safety

Jul 14, 2021 - Safety Engineer in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great retirement and healthcare benefits

Cons

You are expected to work over 40 hours a week salary

7. 4.0
      Current Employee

Jul 26, 2021 - Project Engineer in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture is very supportive and they are dedicated to teaching people. Very diverse project portfolio

Cons

The days are long and often feel inefficient. 12 hour days are expected with little time to your self

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great Company

Jul 1, 2021 - Manager in Honolulu, HI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, employee owned so you get a share of the profits every year. One of only two large construction companies in Hawaii that are American owned, not by Egyptians, Japanese, Koreans or Canadians.

Cons

None, great company, and care about their employees!

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Information Technology: Stay away

Mar 8, 2021 - Information Technology
      Business Outlook

Pros

Overall the company seems to be good, but the IT side of things is a mess Good retirement and benefits. COL adjustment raises. Time based promotions*.

Cons

The construction side of the company seems to do well but the IT teams and management is very scattered. Teams have a strong "not my job" attitude. Trying to get things done is a nightmare due to red tape and an unhelpful atmosphere. A typical question goes like this: "Hey $PersonA, can you tell me where I can get information on $system?" $PersonA - No, ask $PersonB "Hey, $PersonB, $PersonA said you could help me with getting info on $system?" $PersonB - Talk to $PersonC, they do it. ... ... ... $PersonD "Oh yeah, I sent that to $PersonA the other day, let me forward you the email. Work life balance is not really a thing. The approach is "you are not technically on call but if we call you, you better answer". During my time at the company, there was maybe 2 or 3 weeks where I did not have to put in time late at night or over the weekend. The time based promotions is a pro but also a con. Because of this system, there are "senior level" engineers that should have no place being in a senior role.

Hensel Phelps Response

Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to be candid. As you may know, our IT Department and associated processes are currently undergoing significant organizational changes as well as hiring additional senior roles to address these items. Our goal is to provide our team members with the tools and resources they need to be successful within Hensel Phelps, and as information technology professionals. We want each of you to succeed and advance your careers based on your capability and Hensel Phelps’ business needs which are aligned with our core values.. We value each and every team member and always encourage direct and respectful feedback. . We hope that you have shared or will share this feedback with IT Leadership as well. They truly care about you and your future. We are confident they will want to work with you to understand your frustrations and do what they can to remedy any pain points you might be experiencing. Thank you for your intentional feedback and candor.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company, culture, and benefits

Jul 7, 2021 - Office Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture is family-like and you get to know your coworkers very well, at work and outside of work. The benefits are top notch. From medical to retirement. The salary and COLA are above industry standard and compensated fairly based on your performance compare to your peers.

Cons

As with any General Contractor, there is a certain work ethic that is expected. It can be trying, but it is rewarded.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 489 Reviews