Hensel Phelps Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Hensel Phelps President & CEO Jeff Wenaas
Jeff Wenaas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Hensel Phelps is employee owned" (in 33 reviews)

• "Great Benefits specially for salary employees" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be difficult in the first 5 years" (in 36 reviews)

• "long hours, questionable promotion related decisions" (in 82 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Field Engineer"

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Hensel Phelps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best company I ever worked for. This is the kind of company where you will never want to leave. Great salary with stellar benefits. Everyone will help you become better, it’s part of the culture of the company. Overall you get everything at this company.

Cons

I can’t think of any but the hours can long. This isn’t really a con but you get what you put in. So no you won’t move up if your advisors don’t think you’re ready.

Advice to Management

Keep on taking care of the employees. It’s why we all stay.

Nov 13, 2018 – Talent Acquisition and Development Manager

We appreciate feedback whether negative or positive and do appreciate your insights. Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We hope you will continue to enjoy working at Hensel Phelps.

2. "OK company"

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hensel Phelps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team Work activities after work hours

Cons

I was Over worked most weeks. Field Engineer need to grow up

3. "Hey FE/OEs I hope you like 60+ Hour weeks!"

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Hensel Phelps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are solid. Coworkers are great.

Cons

Bad work/life balance. I've never worked less than 60 hours a week, on a low to industry standards salary. Hire more dircet hire field staff or pay us by the hour. Tired of being a wage slave. It's not like this at other companies, I don't care what the HP HR/PR/Social Media team member answering responding to reviews on here says.

Advice to Management

Pay by the hour, or mandate a 40 hour work week.

Nov 13, 2018 – Talent Acquisition and Development Manager

Without knowing your work history or how many places you’ve worked, it is hard to know if the other companies you reference are in the construction world? We are not aware of any large General... More

4. "Field Engineer"

I have been working at Hensel Phelps full-time

Pros

Lots to learn, and very hands-on

Cons

No time to complete work, and no training.

Advice to Management

Hire more field engineers, and be realistic with expectations.

5. "Field Engineer"

Current Employee - Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Engineer

I have been working at Hensel Phelps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

100% Employee Ownership
    High focus on Safety
    Our employees are the company's main asset, Hensel Phelps invests in our training and development
    Values excellence
    Management focus on supporting employees

Cons

Not your typical 9-5 job

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Hensel Phelps full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It’s hard to believe that a company that does almost $3.6 billion worth of construction per year can still have a family feel to it. I am sure the 100 % Employee ownership is a big part of that. It is openly obvious the Upper Management cares about the Development, Growth, and QOL of each employee. The benefits and salary are better than the large GC/CM in the MD/VA/DC area. Hensel Phelps is a perfect company for a “career”. If you are looking for a “job”, “job-hopping” to increase salary quicker, or want to get a trophy for just participating, I would not recommend Hensel Phelps. I chose Hensel Phelps because I wanted to work with a bunch of likeminded Women and Men, who have a passion for building, enjoy life outside of work, want to build some of the most unique projects in the country, and take ownership of their work and projects no matter what your position is!

Cons

There are always personality issues, some tough customers, a few subcontractors/vendors with manpower/material issues, and lots of things beyond our control. This is true for any company you work for and no matter what your career is. If you truly have a passion for what you do and put 150% effort into it, everything else will fall into place. If it doesn’t, move on with a smile on your face and find a group of like-minded people you can work with.

"Great Company with very log work days"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Hensel Phelps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid company with great benefits, ability to work in other regions/districts, and work on high profile large scale projects.

Cons

If salaried/full time work hours are more than full time (avg. 60 hour work week); no work/life balance although HP states this is a core value; Sink or Swim training mentality - as a new hire or intern this is very disconcerting regardless of your experience/time in the industry; lack of team work - highly competitive environment which goes against “train your replacement” core value and impacts communication within the team negatively

Advice to Management

Take the time to train interns/new hires
    Improve team communication (office/field)
    Set clear expectations/goals
    Staff projects appropriately so employees have a work/life balance (understand this is challenging to stay competitive in the market)

"Office Engineer, SoCal"

I worked at Hensel Phelps full-time

Pros

Dynamic work environment. A commitment to quality work and excellence.

Cons

Working 60+ hours on a 40 hour contract. Discrimination was a common office place theme. Inner circle of "plugged in" people.

9. "Love my job, love my company"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Greeley, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Greeley, CO

I have been working at Hensel Phelps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

welcoming staff, wonderful coworkers, hard-working employees, leadership and learning opportunities, room to progress, frequent promotions, encouragement to do a great job, employee owned, wonderful leadership and executives

Cons

none, nothing, N/A, nada, zero

"Difficult Experience"

Former Employee - Field/Office Engineer
    Former Employee - Field/Office Engineer

I worked at Hensel Phelps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, awesome project types, excellent training, great company meetings, very ethical in all dealings- do the right thing is practiced. CEO is great.

Cons

If you are an "industry hire" as they refer to them, there is a hard glass ceiling and you will not go far. They promote from within and good luck getting past a PM or project superintendent level at best. It's "political" is what several people told me. Too scared to upset the apple cart. Operations Management is out of touch and very resistant to change if it doesn't come from them or in one ear out the other; too worried about their stock value than the well being of the employees or making nominal investments to help folks succeed. A company of managers very few leaders. There are a few good ones but that is the exception. Promotions seem to be strongly based on favoritism for folks that probably should not be in the position but they have been around for some time and started right out of school and they do not necessarily have the skill sets needed to be in a position of true leadership. This undermines the morale of project teams. no rhyme no reason. Accounting is horrible to deal with for anything; very condescending and extremely difficult to work with. Expense reports take too long for reimbursement. Quality of life is a joke there isn't any. Pay below average. Employees that would be terminated at any other company are usually retained and they just bounce them from office to office or promote them. Very title heavy company...all about throwing the titles around. Moves at a moment notice with little regard to personal situations which puts people and families in challenging positions. Just because you did it 20 years ago doesn't mean it is acceptable nowadays. Kind of a frat house ultra type A personality/mentality on certain jobs. No annual review that counts towards anything.

Advice to Management

Get with the program. It's not like you haven't heard it all before start doing something about it. There are a lot of talented folks that are over looked in the company mainly for the reasons listed above. Wonder why people are seeking opportunities elsewhere

Sep 10, 2018 – Talent Acquisition and Development Manager

It's unfortunate the position did not work out for you. 90% of the experienced individuals that are hired stay with the company and have a good experience. We wish you the best in your future... More