Hensel Phelps Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Hensel Phelps President & CEO Jeff Wenaas
Jeff Wenaas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Hensel Phelps is an employee-owned company that retains talented employees that are highly engaged and strive to improve the performance of the company (in 29 reviews)

• Great Benefits specially for salary employees (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance could be better (in 32 reviews)

• Not many other than long hours - but that is our industry and you get what you put in (in 71 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Project Superintendent"

Current Employee - Project Superintendent in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Project Superintendent in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hensel Phelps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked with quality people my entire career with Hensel Phelps. I believe that we hire the best and develop the best people in the industry. We also are employee owned and that gives the employees great latitude in decision making and innovation. If there is something you want to pursue as a employee, most of the time it is supported by upper management. Ideas are free flowing and welcomed to keep making HP the best company in the market.

Cons

I would like to see our employees mentor the younger staff better. I have made it a goal to really teach the younger staff and shorten the learning curve.

Advice to Management

I would like to see the quality of life program truly implemented, most of the con statements are probably "we work too much" and I'm not conveying that. But when we can give people days off or go home at a decent hour we should, and not make employees be at work just for the sake of being there. I think that would help with some of the morale with the younger staff.

Hensel Phelps Response

Aug 25, 2017 – Talent Acquisition and Development Manager

Thank you very much for your detailed review! Your compliment on our people and suggestions on how we might provide additional opportunities for growth and quality of life are very much appreciated... More

2. "Great Company with Plenty of Opportunities"

I worked at Hensel Phelps as an intern

Pros

Good Company, lots of opportunities for growth.

Cons

A lot of work in California which is a terrible state to live in.

3. "Great Company"

I worked at Hensel Phelps as an intern

Pros

Great working environment and awesome People

Cons

Do your best to stand out

4. "Great Place for Career Development and Growth"

I have been working at Hensel Phelps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hensel Phelps provides its employees with the resources they need to develop and grow in their career. They have a great compensation package that grows with longevity and loyalty.

Cons

Work is tough, but it is construction and that is part of the business.
    Sometimes hours can be long, but they can also be flexible if employees are smart about gaging their responsibilities and communicating with their supervisors.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to and finding ways to connect with young employees. Find what makes them tick and push them to succeed!

5. "Working at Hensel Phelps"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hensel Phelps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent company team support base. Results driven - if you're on top of your work and meeting deadlines, take a flex day off. Employee owned: highly motivated and accountable employees. Your effort directly effects your bottom line. Forward thinking company. Project managers are generally supportive. Very very big on promoting from within, huge potential for moving up, especially in the Pacific district. Happy to say I've found an ethical company and don't ever feel pressured to make unethical decisions as is common with other companies.

Cons

Generally speaking lots of hours put in, but no better or worse than any other construction company out there. Just our industry really.

Advice to Management

Find more ways to keep the jobsites updated on status of the district. Lots of us scattered all around the islands and the only way you can figure out whats going on everywhere else is when you bump into people from different projects. A note to Operations Managers & our VPs, it would be nice to see you on a project outside of when something is on fire and things aren't going well. A little more proactive involvement in the projects to reinforce and guide us instead of just putting out fires when they come up would improve our overall performance as well as the jobsite perception of the mid/upper level management team.

6. "Great Company"

I have been working at Hensel Phelps full-time

Pros

I've worked for Hensel Phelps for more than 12 years and it has been a great place to work over the years. The environment is more like a family.

Cons

Jobsite are typically never close to home but that's typical in the construction industry.

"Employee First Company"

Current Employee - Office Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Office Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hensel Phelps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hensel Phelps is employee owned and puts a lot of time and effort into producing the best employees.

Benefits for employees are the best among all GC's and better than a majority of other companies outside of construction, they set up their employees to be set up for life, even when their careers are over.

Lots of staff outings and trainings with the company from on-site to the district office, company acts like a family.

Cons

Starting salary is average, however with benefits the compensation is well above what most employers give.

Will work a lot of hours, especially within first 4 years, but long term benefits are well worth it. Grass is not greener on the other side.

Advice to Management

Provide more trainings about the benefit of our Qualified Retirement/S-Unit/I-Unit to ensure retention of employees.

8. "Five-Star Company!"

I have been working at Hensel Phelps full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic family-like culture, highest integrity, great benefits, landmark projects, many more...

Cons

The only cons I can come up with are industry wide, not specific to Hensel Phelps and are not worth listing.

9. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Area Superintendent
    Current Employee - Area Superintendent

I have been working at Hensel Phelps full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best people. Everyone works to a common goal.

Cons

Employees are regularly asked to move.

10. "Awesome Company!"

I have been working at Hensel Phelps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Quality People
    Awesome Culture
    Great Projects
    Performance Based
    Compensation

Cons

Not many other than long hours - but that is our industry and you get what you put in.