Cover image for Hensel Phelps

Hensel Phelps President and CEO  Michael J. Choutka
Michael J. Choutka

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours And not a typical 8(in 110 reviews)
  • "They blatantly don't care that employees have no work life balance.(in 67 reviews)
  • "Work long hours 60+ hours a week and weekends(in 59 reviews)
  • "It's due to upper management (VP,OP,GS,PM,PS) encouraging the staff during meetings, to increase HP's overall score due to a low rating that they have been receiving.(in 18 reviews)
  • "Management is full of lies, tricks and well cowardly behavior.(in 13 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Hensel Phelps and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years
    Featured Review

Great benefits especially for the long term employees

May 10, 2022 - Quality Control
    Business Outlook

Pros

Without a doubt the best benefits for employees especially after about 5 yrs. You are eligible for company provide profit sharing starting in year 1 (@15% of salary to retirement account). Health care is a HSA that company contributes (if you get your physical) most of the amount needed to meet the deductible. Depending on position, you will be eligible for other benefits (which is usually within about 4-6yrs) like car allowance, a company vehicle w/ gas card, bonus, and company shares (which over time can't be touched by other companies).

Cons

As an employee owned company you are expected to work like you own a part of the company....meaning that you do what is needed to make the project/job successful. Sometimes that is working extra hours or doing something not specifically listed in your job description. The hours are longer but in my experience, I think it isn't as much a Hensel Phelps thing as it is an industry thing. I don't know of any large (successful) General Contractor whose people aren't asked to work 50+hours. The company is aware of how important the work/life balance is and have actively made some changes but every project is different.

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 5.0

Field engineer

Nov 2, 2022 - Field Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company is great to work for.

Cons

No downsides at the moment.

3. Join the Hensel Phelps team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good people, bad company culture

Oct 24, 2022 - Office Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the most talented individuals work with Hensel Phelps. A great place to learn awesome skills and build a great foundation to carry on to other companies that will appreciate and recognize those skills.

Cons

Promotions only exist based on tenure with the company, they absolutely kill the work ethic of individuals wanting to come in and climb quickly, and who have the skill to. Promotions are not at all based on skills, or needs, but based on politics of the company and your tenure. I would NOT recommend this place if you want to climb quickly and exceed all expectations, because you will NOT be recognized for it at all (maybe a gift card for $25).

Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed working with some of the best builders in the industry and have learned a lot during your time with Hensel Phelps. As you mention, Hensel Phelps takes the training of its people seriously and is committed to every employee's professional growth. Hensel Phelps has no required path or set service times and employees are encouraged to tailor their own career path with their supervisors through annual reviews and continued goal-setting meetings. This emphasis on growth and personal achievement is one of the reasons the average length of service of our current employees is almost 14 years. We truly want each of our employees to achieve success, personally and professionally. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review.

5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Career Oriented People ONLY. Fantastic Company with Zero Work Life Balance.

Aug 19, 2022 - Field Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Exceptional starting pay & benefits. - Entrusted with a lot of responsibility very early on. - VERY safe. Safety is everything with this company and it's widely impressive how much effort they put into keeping their workers safe. - Excellent training & ability to learn and grow your skills - Working on incredible projects - Working with very intelligent & capable individuals - They really care for their employees if you need help

Cons

- 2 cons: No Work Life Balance & No Control Of Where You Live. -Absolutely no work life balance. They expect you to work all day, everyday, no questions asked. - They blatantly don't care that employees have no work life balance. They do quarterly reviews which they discuss with everyone and announce that every quarter people complain they work too many hours, yet it continues to be an issue. - 10-12 shifts are the norm every weekday and you will work weekends at least once a month. You will almost never work an 8 hour day. - Be prepared to pick up and move your life when ever they say. They will ship people to Guam, Hawaii, California, where ever, at the drop of a hat. - A lot of people had stories of being moved without wanting to but wanted to keep their job.

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Smaller Projects Smaller Crew

Oct 26, 2022 - Field Engineer Internship in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is super knowledgeable and you can gain so much experience from people if you ask a lot of questions.

Cons

Smaller projects equal smaller crews. This would be fine except the fact that like most companies, no matter how diverse it is dominated by white men. If you’re a minority, specifically a black female this can present a challenge to you when you’re the only one. My white make coworker who also did this fellowship had an amazing time and was invited for drinks and to go golfing with the team after. I was not awarded the same, even though he admittedly said I knew more than him because on a small project you learn more. It was extremely disappointing for a company as diverse and large as Hensel Phelps. I think the hardest part is that I left there with a lot of knowledge but no constructive criticism. They said I was perfect but needed more experience to be hired which was completely a lie because while I had no construction experience I did have engineering experience and could read and understand piping systems on the diagrams due to this. Meanwhile, my coworker had no experience at all, was hired by them.

Human Resources

Hensel Phelps is committed to creating an inclusive work environment and culture where all employees feel welcomed and valued. We are a committed Equal Opportunity Employer and encourage open dialogue and understanding among our employees. We truly appreciate you taking a moment to leave this thoughtful review so we can continue to make advancements and support our core values.

7. 5.0

PE

Nov 19, 2022 - Project Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Longevity, Experience and the Growth are top pros.

Cons

The hours can be intense. Growing firm so there are bugs being worked out.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company

Oct 12, 2022 - Office Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-You learn a lot about the process of Construction -You get hands-on and office experience before stepping into a Manager position -A lot of resources -Always winning projects -All over the US, so more flexibility where you want to live -Benefits get really good as you stay longer with the company -People of the company whether its higher-ups really take care of you -Provides a lot of trainings -Starting pay is pretty good

Cons

-Really long hours (construction industry) -Can possibly be moved to a new project (new location) really quickly -As a Field Engineer & Superintendent, expect to do a bit of labor work (but you learn a lot from it) -A lot of paperwork (very process driven company - which can also be a good thing)

Human Resources

Thank you for your thoughtful review. We are glad to hear that you enjoy your career with Hensel Phelps. As you mention, we are invested in the professional growth of our people and provide all roles with plenty of training opportunities as well as superior benefits. Hensel Phelps is appreciative of your feedback.

9. 4.0

Great company

Nov 14, 2022 - Project Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive benefits Great one-on-one, project based, and district based trainings Family minded managers

Cons

Long work hours A few bad seeds Slow career advancement

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company

Nov 15, 2022 - VDC Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Company to work for.

Cons

No cons that come to mind

11. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not the Hensel Phelps way

Sep 19, 2022 - Lead QC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benifits and management can be flexible. Flexibility is needed because you're going to be work 50 to 60 hours a week on average. Corporate is in tune with the economy, providing a mid year raise to employees. That was cool.

Cons

Extremely demanding company, the amount of tasks and repetitive documentation will consume your life. Work life balance is almost non existence due to work loads and constant change in requirements. Workload is constantly increased due to on going negative retention in employees. There are only a few paths to grow your career. Pay is low with the false promise of big bonuses which are said to offset the low pay. You will need to work at HP for 6 to 10 years before you see "the big bucks". The promise of promotions that never occurre is also a thing. You will be required to work weekends on top of the 50+ hours worked M-F. Finally, 80% of employees are just starting their careers, you may have a young inexperienced boss.

Human Resources

We are grateful for your thoughts. Hensel Phelps recognizes that the industry can be demanding and certain projects are more time-consuming than others. As you mention, this year we were proud to provide a mid-year raise to all employees in April, and an additional mid-year bonus in September to reward everyone's hardwork and dedication during this economic time of uncertainty. Hensel Phelps takes all of our reviews seriously and appreciates your feedback.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 678 Reviews
</>Embed

Hensel Phelps Reviews FAQs

Hensel Phelps has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 779 reviews left anonymously by employees. 76% of employees would recommend working at Hensel Phelps to a friend and 75% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Hensel Phelps employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Hensel Phelps. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

76% of Hensel Phelps employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Hensel Phelps 2.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 4.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Hensel Phelps to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be management, work life balance.

Popular Careers with Hensel Phelps Job Seekers