KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Hensel Phelps

Engaged Employer

Hensel Phelps

Add a Review

Hensel Phelps Employee Reviews about "employee owned"

Updated Jan 17, 2021

Found 53 of over 600 reviews

4.1
Hensel Phelps President and CEO  Michael J. Choutka
Michael J. Choutka
Pros
  • "Employee owned makes a culture of accountability(in 46 reviews)

• "Great benefits/retirement packages given to each employee(in 45 reviews)

• Cons
  • "You will work long hours (10-12 hours normally, could easily be longer when pushing to meet deadlines)(in 135 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is nearly impossible to keep(in 54 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Hensel Phelps and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "employee owned"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Family Feeling in a Big Company

Jan 17, 2021 - Information Technology
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great leadership, people, benefits, and built for longevity.

Cons

We work long hours but as an employee owned company, we want to put the hours in.

2. 3.0

Good People but Long Hours and Rough Environment

Dec 28, 2020 - Office Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Time off when needed for emergencies or personal reasons,

Cons

Long hours. Hard to get promoted or get a raise. Demanding and stressful environment. You don't see the real financial benefit of working for an employee owned company until years after getting hired.

3. 5.0

Great Company

Apr 23, 2019 - Area Superintendent in Littleton, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity is great. I was an industry hire with 10 years experience in construction and decided to take a more entry level job with HP. I quickly took on other titles as there is a lot of opportunity in the company. Yeah, the work hours can be long, but if you truly love construction and the challenges it presents, you enjoy work since HP gives you all the resources needed to do your job well. The benefits HP offers is unmatched (through my searches) with the insurance, qualified retirement plans, stock options, HSA, etc. Though pay is really pretty good, there is a lot that HP covers that you don't see on your check that adds up to a lot of money. Being an employee owned company helps each worker to strive to do the best they can as they are part owner in the company and there's a sense of pride with that.

Cons

Some of the long work hours can get tiring, but is worth it given the opportunity and growth for those that love construction. HP has a big focus on work life balance and seems to be working through what works the best to make this an issue of the past.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

A Career of Growth

Apr 17, 2019 - Project Manager in Jacksonville, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Making the choice to come and have a career at Hensel Phelps was the best decision I could have made for a few key reasons. It is a company that allows you to grow under pressure and make mistakes from day one. Then it gives you the tools and time to grow apart from those weaknesses to make them strengths through one on one training. Hensel Phelps rewards hard work and creativity at every level from the day you begin your career. I’ve been able to work my way through the ranks traveling the country from Arizona, California, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Florida and the British West Indies. I’ve hit 9 positions along the way and over the last 12 years, I’ve learned so much information in each of those positions. Now as a Project Manager leading a team its so rewarding to be capable of understanding all aspects of Planning, Managing, and Building anything that comes my way as an opportunity to show case my Growth!

Cons

I have no cons because, I understand that all careers have challenges, but the employee in the end still has the final choice when you employ with an Employee Owned Company.

5. 5.0

Great Company, Great People

Apr 25, 2019 - Office Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working at Hensel Phelps has been nothing short of exceptional. The company's culture is one that maximizes morale and opportunity. I can truly say the company cares about their people. Being an employee owned company, and developing a promote from within style, has caused Hensel Phelps to be among the best when it comes to training. Not only that, but the benefits cannot be matched. Having three physicians in my family, I can attest that even they are envious of Hensel Phelps' benefits. Hensel Phelps' salaries are competitive, the benefits are remarkable, and the quality of our work is something to be proud of. Not only that but the intangibles are what sold me originally on signing with Hensel Phelps. The culture is one of integrity and high character personnel that fosters an atmosphere built for success. I can truly say in only three years of being here, through training, mentorship and opportunity, that I'm getting more out of my career than I could have ever imagined at this point.

Cons

I would prefer to have more location stability, but that is the nature of the industry. I'm looking forward to what the rest of my career entails.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good Company

Apr 24, 2019 - Project Engineer in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

High deductible health savings plan, but no health insurance premiums is awesome. 100% employee owned is awesome. Retirement contribution from the company is top-notch and requires no contribution from the employee. Flexibility - both in job responsibilities and working around life. I'm responsible for my work, but if I need to flex my schedule around sick days (for me or my children), or go to an appointment, or whatever, they're super flexible as long as I'm finishing my work.

Cons

The hours can get long, but that's a known factor coming in to the industry. The flexibility mentioned in the pros helps mitigate this very well. Working in southern California means there's always a potential to have to move (or at least take on a long commute) if relocated to a job in LA, San Diego, or Riverside since all three major areas are close, but not that close.

7. 5.0

Best Construction Company to Build a Career

Apr 23, 2019 - Field Engineer in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Employee owned makes a culture of accountability - Exposure to high profile projects with cutting edge construction technology - Highly structured management style provides easy learning environment - Expectation of self-sufficiency makes for accountable and trustworthy project teams. - Benefits provided in the long run far outweighs those of other companies - Diverse range of projects provides job security in the event of economic slow down.

Cons

- Expected Long hours and hard (sometimes physical) work. - Early morning concrete placements (3:00 AM) with expectations to work late the same day if necessary. - Benefits don't fully kick in until after about 5-years with the company - Not a lot of wiggle room with career path at first. You're expected to move through each position regardless of strengths and weaknesses - Company isn't great at providing feedback on performance.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee

It’s a Career, not a Job!

Apr 25, 2019 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

-People: The people I work with are some of my best friends and my second family. -Benefits: As a true employee owned company, decisions are made with employees first in mind. It’s said that if you want understand the values of a company and how decisions will be made, look how they spend their profits! Everything back to the employees. 15% of base salary is contributed to my retirement ‘401k’ every year, no premiums for healthcare (nothing out of my salary), and profit sharing. -Career: At Hensel Phelps the employees are seen as assets and so much training and career development is the primary focus. Lots of opportunities to grow and be challenged.

Cons

As with any construction company, you don’t build the same building twice so moving around can happen. I’ve only had to move once in my 12 years and it was the best decision for my family and career.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Challenging but Great Place to Work

Apr 24, 2019 - Field Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits - Unreal. Great health plan, great retirement benefits. Employee owned company. Culture- Great actual team atmosphere, which can be hard to find at construction companies. Opportunity- Opportunities to promote and recognize the go getters. Quality of Life- Hensel Phelps is making this a priority and helping/encouraging its employees to have a quality of life. Management- They take the time to know everyone on their teams even the bottom feeders. They take a genuine interest in what you are doing and will support you in anything. Its nice you know that someone has your back even if you make a mistake.

Cons

- As with any construction management job - long hours, avg 55-60 a week - Lateral Promotions

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Work Hard, Play Hard

Apr 16, 2019 - Field Engineer in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

With over 80 years of experience, Hensel Phelps leads the industry by building some of the most challenging and rewarding projects across the country. They truly understand and the importance of 'people' from a client to a laborer. 'People' will always be their strongest asset. Some Pros: Employee owned, Phenomenal health insurance, Outstanding retirement plan, Ability to own Hensel Phelps stock units, Potential for HP to contribute to your kids college tuition, and much more.

Cons

As with any GC in this industry they demand a lot from you. You will work long hours (about 10hr/day avg.). For some relocating might be a con but it could also be looked at as a Pro.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 53 Reviews