KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Hensel Phelps Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 19, 2021

Found 61 of over 606 reviews

4.1
Hensel Phelps President and CEO  Michael J. Choutka
Michael J. Choutka
Pros
  • "Employee owned makes a culture of accountability(in 46 reviews)

• "Great benefits/retirement packages given to each employee(in 45 reviews)

• Cons
  • "You will work long hours (10-12 hours normally, could easily be longer when pushing to meet deadlines)(in 135 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is nearly impossible to keep(in 54 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Hensel Phelps and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

World Class Builders

May 28, 2019 - Project Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Hensel Phelps has some very large-scale commercial construction projects. The current projects we are working on in my district include: the erection of new structures and buildings, heavy civil projects for roadway & bridge operations (including 2 separate train projects), massive industrial and semi-conductor projects, federal building and border projects and even a good focus on rehabilitation. With Hensel Phelps you get exposed to everything and you will learn to be a complete; well-rounded builder. Hensel Phelps will train you and take you from cradle-to-grave with everything you need to learn to build/construct anything; anywhere in the world. I have looked around and there is not another company that has better long-term pay/benefits the HP.

Cons

The only downsides of Hensel Phelps are the same downsides of any company in this industry. If you want to build a world class building, it is not going to require a little extra effort (Not working 9-5 for 40-hours a week). Also, you go where the project is so some relocation maybe required. That being said, Hensel Phelps is doing something about this that I don’t see anyone else in the industry doing. For one Hensel Phelps is huge on time management and time management training. I rarely work more than 50-hours a week and when I do it is usually because I want to come in early to learn a new skill. Hensel Phelps is also exploring options of giving people additional time off for the longer than average working hours that are standard in this industry. The project I am on has implemented a trial-program that gives everyone every other Friday off to give their employee’s a better work-life balance. I have work for several construction companies, and never have I seen a company honestly try to take this level of commitment to give their employee’s a better work-life balance. Relocation is something that is standard in this industry. That being said, I joined Hensel Phelps in 2012 and have not yet left my home city of Phoenix, AZ. While everyone’s experience is not the same as mine, Hensel Phelps will try and keep you close to home if they can. All around these things are just realities of this industry, but no company I have looked at cares more about their employees then HP.

2. 2.0
      Former Temporary Employee

Different than others, but still lots of work to be done

Jan 9, 2021 - Construction Manager in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

HPCC will teach you how things really are built. Employees get boots on the ground experience. Employees are given the power/responsibility to make decisions without seeking manager approval. Health benefits and retirement benefits are unmatched. Most members of the cooperate management team started in the field. Many shared experiences. Great management of harassment involving outside contractors & employees.

Cons

You will be expected to work long days & many weekends. Company culture changes drastically from district to district and even between project teams. At the end of the day the employees are just a number and the company doesn't really care about them as people. Work/life balance is nearly impossible to keep. Experienced discrimination from management for physical & mental health diagnosis. Training beyond the first position includes a lot of Kool-Aid. Convincing their own employees why they are the best. No HR department. Discrepancies with how things are managed from district to district & project to project. Poor management of internal harassment.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Place to Start Career

Jan 19, 2021 - Field Engineer in Orlando, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great starting salary. Friendly people. Benefits, and internal promotions.

Cons

Long hours, traveling , moving frequently, everyone has to start as a field engineer, no work life balance. Also, the long hours don’t equate to the pay. Lack of direction given from management for someone new starting out after college.

Human Resources

You are right, Hensel Phelps is a great place to start a career, but it is also a great place to call home through retirement. One of the reasons our less tenured employees are so successful and in-demand by other companies is due to the level of responsibility we entrust our employees with so early on in their careers. What could be perceived as lack of direction, can also be looked at as trust and responsibility. We give our employees room and opportunity to grow. We wish you well in your future endeavors and are happy to hear you had so many positive take-aways during your time with us. Our yellow-truck doors are always open should you wish to return someday. Best wishes! Hensel Phelps--

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Experience

Jul 24, 2020 - Field Engineer in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Leading the industry in benefits. Some project have the opportunity to define skills and embrace the whole construction process in neat ways. Work in big metro areas is never going to disappear. Lots of federal work too.

Cons

Work Life balance - long hours Can get stuck with bad team but can request to move.

Marketing Manager

These are all excellent recommendations. Hensel Phelps currently offers over 250 training courses to our employees and we are always looking to grow and improve upon that list. It is great to see our employees looking to further nurture our field engineers. Each Hensel Phelps new hire will experience over 100 training hours within their first year. We believe this initial investment empowers our employees to perform at a higher level. Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing Teams with Talented Builders

Dec 28, 2020 - Field Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Becoming a well-rounded builder with the highest of standards.

Cons

Long hours, poor work/life balance. Middle management can be overly abrasive.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to learn

Jan 8, 2021 - Field Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay. Good benefits. Good place to learn

Cons

Poor work/life balance. Live to work mentality.

7. 3.0
      Current Employee

Oct 4, 2020 - Environmental Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. You get to work with engineer and architectural plans and turn them into a physical building. 2. You get to manage people. 3. Not in an office.

Cons

1. work-life balance, work some Saturdays. 2. No real engineering work. 3. Work with people with a variety of skill levels

Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time managing the field and bringing a construction project to life. We understand that sometimes the work can tough and the hours long, but with it comes the reward of constructing some of the largest and most iconic landmarks in the country. While you may not have had as many engineering tasks on this particular project, rest assured your next project could harness every bit of your engineering expertise—that’s the great part about Hensel Phelps and our industry, we are always learning and applying something new!

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good work, Poor Company

Sep 29, 2020 - Field Engineer in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good people, fun projects, great learning opportunity

Cons

Just a number, poor work/life balance, expected to work 60-70+ hours/week

Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Hensel Phelps takes our employees comments seriously, and just like you, we wish to learn and grow. We understand that a long workday can be frustrating, especially when you are doing your best to build some of the greatest construction projects in the nation. Sometimes these projects are more demanding than others, but that is what we believe is one of the best things about Hensel Phelps—you’re always building something new in a challenging and fun environment! We are happy to hear you enjoyed working with your team and were able to experience great learning opportunities during your time with us. We wish you luck with your future endeavors and appreciate the time you took to write this review.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company

Apr 23, 2019 - Area Superintendent in Littleton, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity is great. I was an industry hire with 10 years experience in construction and decided to take a more entry level job with HP. I quickly took on other titles as there is a lot of opportunity in the company. Yeah, the work hours can be long, but if you truly love construction and the challenges it presents, you enjoy work since HP gives you all the resources needed to do your job well. The benefits HP offers is unmatched (through my searches) with the insurance, qualified retirement plans, stock options, HSA, etc. Though pay is really pretty good, there is a lot that HP covers that you don't see on your check that adds up to a lot of money. Being an employee owned company helps each worker to strive to do the best they can as they are part owner in the company and there's a sense of pride with that.

Cons

Some of the long work hours can get tiring, but is worth it given the opportunity and growth for those that love construction. HP has a big focus on work life balance and seems to be working through what works the best to make this an issue of the past.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

The best of the best

May 13, 2019 - Estimator in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

HP is one of the very best companies I have ever worked for! The company culture far exceeds any of the companies in the industry. They emphasize work life balance and quality of life and they take that very seriously. They want the best for their employees and it shows in everything they do. Working at HP feels like you are part of a family where everyone helps and encourages each other to be the best they can be and genuinely wants each other to be successful . Upper Management is very transparent and always available to make time for you should you need help or guidance. If you are looking for a place to call home with a group of amazing people to call family, then working at HP is the place to be.

Cons

I have yet to experience any CONS within the company! The only con in my opinion is that I didn't join the HP team sooner!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 61 Reviews