Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs Compliance Caseworker Reviews | Glassdoor

Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs Compliance Caseworker Reviews

Updated Nov 14, 2019

3.6
Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs Interim Chief Executive Jim Harra (no image)
Jim Harra
0 Rating
  1. "work"

Current Employee - Compliance Caseworker in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to work Friendly staff

Cons

having to work on the weekends

Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs2019-11-15
  2. "Undervalued and overworked"

Current Employee - Compliance Caseworker in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Pros

Flexi-time and pay is decent

Cons

Overworked and undervalued, I just feel like another number rather than a valuable part of the team. Little to no support and I am quite new into the role

Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs2019-10-24

"Compliance Officer - Hidden Economy"

Former Employee - Compliance Caseworker in Taunton, England

I worked at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great for flexi-time and holidays. Wages higher than average in Somerset and Devon but low in places where their regional centres are being built! Good support for those with health issues. Very strict in terms of taking computer breaks and health and safety. Loved being in control of my working day.

Cons

Some of the teams do very repetitive boring jobs. Management style can be very good or very lacking. No 360 degree feedback.

Advice to Management

There seemed to be many "expression of interest" opportunities at higher levels but after working above grade for nearly 10 years without promotion was a bit mean. It saved the revenue £50k in wages but not good for morale. Promotions were available in other areas but a change in working contract would have been required to do that and I would have needed to pay £5000 per annum for a season ticket. Great to work for in the right team.

Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs2017-02-17

"HMRC on reflection"

Compliance Caseworker

I have been working at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs

Pros

Very Supportive front line management If you can gain entry onto the right development program training is fantastic and you can shoot up the grades in a short space of time. I like the moves of the new CEO. I look forward to what he can achieve. its a shame staff automatically look to critisise however years of mismanagement causes this. I am proud to be a compliance caseworker as I it is important to ensure people pay the right level of tax. In my day to day work I look to educate individuals as not respecting the tax system only works against you in the end.

Cons

Communication within the department is very poor. Staff motivation is very low. It is very hard to stay positive partly due to the constant skepticism from fellow employees. The organisation s full of people I would term as deadwood. They constantly complain about how bad it is yet they have been here for 35 years and wont be leaving soon. The PMR system is awful. They should focus on tax knowledge by training and not on the speed of working cases which seems to be the way its going. The positive culture is often thrown out the door due to unrealistic targets put on staff.

Advice to Management

Improve training to people not on a program to ensure people who want to get on are not left behind.

Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs2016-09-11

"Tax Caseworker"

Compliance Caseworker in London, England

I have been working at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs

Pros

Very flexible working, good pension and good exposure to other departments. Friendly staff and laid back way of working.

Cons

Low renumeration, silly promotion system not based on merit. Best staff are not looked after and ageing management structure.

Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs2016-02-02

"Terrible, pay freeze for 5 years expecting more for nothin"

Current Employee - Compliance Caseworker in Bournemouth, England

I have been working at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They do flexi time, so you can work an extra hour a day and build up some extra leave, but this could change of course

Cons

You can build up the leave, but then they don't let you take it, in a staff survey HMRC came 104 out of a 104 gov depts they are the worst yo work for

Advice to Management

Start listening, stop having meetings about meetings, be visible, try communicating with staff give them a pay rise 5 years is long enough

Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs2015-03-21
  7. "Working Environment"

Current Employee - Compliance Caseworker in Leeds, South East England, England

Pros

Lot of training opportunities, technical qualification paid for, Hotel travel and subsistence fully paid. Can work any 8 hours between 7 am to 7 pm. Free parking.

Cons

Comparatively less wages than private sector. Promotion depends on the opportunities which could take on average 3-6 yrs. ( That is for some one who is good)

Advice to Management

Quick promotion would help retain young talent.

Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs2014-12-21