Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs Reviews in London, England | Glassdoor

Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs Chief Executive & Permanent Secretary Lin Homer
Lin Homer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No proper pay rise for years makes you feel unappreciated (in 14 reviews)

• Further, senior management is far too busy to give you the time needed in many cases (in 11 reviews)

"VAT TAX Specialist"

Current Employee - Tax Specialist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Tax Specialist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours
    Training Schemes
    great Holidays and also get the chance to have 1 day a year called the queens birthday holiday.

Cons

Very sedentary atmosphere
    Not Very Inventive when it comes to career progression schemes unless you are part of one of their accelerated programmes.

Advice to Management

Their needs to be a closer working relationship between senior management and those below, usually no interaction at all and I feel its leaves a great proportion off staff disillusioned.

"Excellent opportunities for ambitious early careers"

Current Employee - HO Data Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - HO Data Analyst in London, England (UK)

Pros

My second job post-Uni, after just 6 months at my previous post. I was recruited into a technical team which has made waves the entire time. They've fully supported my development and embraced my talent, broadening my job role whilst securing training to build on it.

For a recent graduate, the salary is incredible. Whilst in reality you can work as much or little as you like and know you're safe in your job, if you push yourself you can make a great impact to gain support of management and your development. There is plenty of room for advancement and movement, be in a job change, a placement, a secondment, or shadowing. Honestly, all round, a great place to work.

Cons

The bureaucracy is to be expected. Whilst I'm talking about my fantastic experience, I am aware this is not the same throughout HMRC, and many individuals feel let down. Some people have been at the same pay for years, because pay is tied to your job's grade. As a result, without clear and persistent advancement, pay can rapidly become disappointing. Further, if you are anything less than a Higher Officer, it seems to be more difficult to gain support to develop.

My biggest gripe is actually that it's too slow. I've rarely felt pressured and it's left me bored and unchallenged. Further, senior management is far too busy to give you the time needed in many cases. Whilst they are undoubtedly adding value, it detracts from your own work, especially given the amount of governance and need for senior sign-off.

Advice to Management

Less leadership, more management.

"Great place to work with great people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Great people and a good vibe. An enjoyable place to work.

Cons

Didn't find any over the time I was working there.

"Cons outweigh the pros"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working, good work life balance. Can start and finish when you want. Good reimbursement for travel and business trips

Cons

Poor recognition, development, appraisal. Little or no link between performance and appraisal / promotion. No pay rises for years. No bonuses. Poor and uninspiring management

Advice to Management

Start doing your job properly! Recognise and appreciate front line staff more. Provide more development opportunities. Create a better, fairer appraisal and promotion system

"Rudderless department"

Former Employee - Lawyer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Lawyer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Passable work-life balance; pay is greater than other government legal service departments, although still nowhere near comparable to equivalent private sector jobs

Cons

Clueless management seem determined to make it a less pleasant place to work for everyone. Managed moves result in dearth of expertise. Even the pension isn't as good any more.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people!

"Used to love it, now hate it"

Former Employee - Officer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Officer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You feel like you're making a difference. Helping those who need it and preventing crime. All the other pros have been taken away though.

Cons

Poor management. Everybody is looking for the easy answer. This results in ignoring the multi-national tax avoidance and hitting the single mother who took an extra cleaning job to buy her kids some shoes.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your staff. They're not there for the money, but they do want to be told they're appreciated. We do all have it tough, but I was regularly told by my managers "my job is harder than yours". That doesn't motivate anybody.

"Looking forward to leaving."

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs full-time

Pros

People are generally friendly. Chairs are nice.

Cons

Very inward looking organisation, obsessed with continually doing what was done before. Deeply suspicious of new ideas. You have to do what your manager says, even if it's stupid, otherwise they say you're not performing. Very controlling. Favourites get all the credit, and no-one really listens unless you say what the management want to hear. No development opportunities in my area.
    It'll never, ever change, and it will never realise it should.

Advice to Management

Start learning from the World outside.

Really.

8. "Inspector"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

30 days annual leave nothing else

Cons

Bullying is rife, government should pay fairly! They award themselves fairly

Advice to Management

Stop the bullying

9. "Big changes afoot"

Current Employee - Senior Officer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible working is one of the biggest pros. Some departments are more stretched than others, which will mean work-life balance in some areas could be better.
    If you are able and willing to move for a job then this is fine as the Civil Service is massively reducing their building locations. There are some opportunities to work from home.
    Promotion prospects are good, generally speaking.

Cons

Often you get the feeling of disorganised chaos because the department is breaking through to the digital world and setting up for tax payers to become more able to self-serve.
    Often you have to work long hours to get the job done, even though work-life balance is promoted by senior managers, which is a contradiction.

Advice to Management

Value and recognise the people who deliver and follow through with consequences for poor performers.

"Good experience"

Current Employee - Senior Officer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your on the job experience will vary vastly depending on tax regime, location and size of the businesses you work with but you can get some great experience that is valued in the private sector.

Great flexibility, time off is generous and personally I had no trouble with taking holidays at any time.

Job stability for the most part but this does depend on location as a number of offices are closing.

Cons

PMR system can be onerous and unfair.

The recruitment process is solely competency based which can turn into a short story competition.

Poor leadership from excom although the new CEO does appear to be taking the department in a better direction.

Static pay. You aren't going to get a pay rise unless you get promoted really.

Somewhat toxic atmosphere. A lot of long term employees are clearly unhappy which can rub off. Also there are a number of poor performers and little desire from management to do anything about them in some cases.

Advice to Management

PMR system isn't the best and I would strongly advise a better recruitment system as the wrong people can be hired for jobs quite easily at the moment.