Hercules Capital Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Marketing Intern"

Former Employee - Intern Marketing in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Intern Marketing in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hercules Capital part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hercules provides an amazing opportunity to grow professionally. I was given a significant amount of responsibility up front and was given the freedom to tailor my internship in order to make the projects my own. After my internship ended, I felt that I had made a true contribution to the company.

The people who work at Hercules are looking to empower you. As an intern, I had the opportunity to work directly with the CEO in numerous occasions. While yes, he has a direct, no BS approach, he is incredibly passionate about this company and I'm lucky to have been able to learn from him.

Cons

The people who work at Hercules become incredibly immersed in their work. As a result, the culture suffers. However, HR is aware of this and has made a genuine effort to create tons of events to bring everyone together.

Advice to Management

Continue to build opportunities to build the culture.

2. "Great business model, but serious issues with the founder"

Former Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hercules Capital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great and many of the reviews here are on point with regards to the same. I enjoyed my time at the company and really appreciated the quality of people you get to work with. Very smart and understand their business well.

Cons

Turnover is excessively high and that is due to the founder having real emotional challenges. He goes from charismatic to down right insulting with personal attacks. If it wasn’t for the CIO and other members of the support team, there would be even more turnover. I finally couldn’t stand it and left, although I was never attacked.

Advice to Management

I completely agree with what was written about the Board. I never met them, but I am curious on what they really do. Especially after they destroyed value with that externalization exercise.

3. "Career Accelerator"

Former Employee - Finance in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Finance in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hercules Capital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hercules is known for its fast paced environment. It is an optimal sized company to grow and develop. Individuals are expected to do a lot and produce but are rewarded with extensive experience not easily obtained at other organizations.

Cons

As noted in the Pros, the environment can be fast paced and high demand. Expectations are often at, or marginally exceeding the abilities of the individuals asked to complete the needs.

Advice to Management

Given the high demands and expectations levied of the team members, it would be helpful if management evaluated or effectively communicated the cost/time/benefit of projects and workloads.

4. "Great perks, but room to empower top performers"

I have been working at Hercules Capital full-time

Pros

Hercules runs hard and is scaling up. Senior management is making some good changes and the team feels like family. Lots of new perks and events to get to know each other. Low performers and time clockers will not make it here.

Cons

Lots of churn and change (but such is life!). People-centricity and culture improvement are touchy subjects -- most of the company believes, but some do not.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing on the people front. Employees hear the words, but they need to feel it's real from the top. Otherwise the shift will never happen.
    Keep an eye on those high-performers who do amazing things and deserve to be invested in and appreciated, but may not feel empowered or "safe enough" to draw attention to themselves.

"Worst company to work for, without a doubt"

Former Employee - Investment Professional in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Investment Professional in Boston, MA

I worked at Hercules Capital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Outside of an outstanding CIO and great management team, except for the CEO who is completely incompatant, there is much.

Cons

CEO is absolutely crazy and the Board of Directors are a complete joke with no supervision of their CEO. Hostile work environment is never challenged, as CEO will fire you for having an opinion.

Advice to Management

Start your own fund.

"Great first job out of college"

I worked at Hercules Capital full-time

Pros

As an analyst, you're given a lot of responsibility and exposure to the deal making process.

Cons

Typical corporate drama and politics, nothing you wouldn't see elsewhere in finance/banking.

7. "Opportunities for Growth, Accountability Expected"

I have been working at Hercules Capital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bright minds abound. It's refreshing to work in an environment of intelligent co-workers, where people are driven, effective & accountable.

Excellent learning environment. Lots of opportunity to grow, and management is amenable to those that excel & show interest in stepping into new roles & opportunities.

Management is extremely supportive, and the "red tape" you'd normally see in large companies like Hercules doesn't exist. C-suite is accessible, and willing to take time for questions or concerns that arise.

Company events are an added bonus - lots of reasons to celebrate & get to know co-workers on a less formal basis.

Cons

Expectations can be too loosely structured at times, where objectives are set without defining means of establishing success. I can see how this could be frustrating to anyone who requires a firm, guiding hand - but for those that flourish under a self-starter atmosphere, and open reign to manage their workload, this is the ideal environment.

Advice to Management

Continue setting high expectations, and providing support to employees that need it. Company success is testament to managements' authority in the space.

8. "Great learning environment and fast pace"

Current Employee - Managing Director in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hercules Capital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

really smart group of people across the entire company

top notch team and the origination team is outstanding, they really know there stuff.

senior management is very active in the business and is a well rounded team

Hercules has tremendous VC relationships and deal flow, honestly incredible amount of opportunities to evaluate constantly.

Hercules has a amazing access to capital to continue to grow their investment portfolio, just look at the results past ten years

Cons

hard charging environment not for everyone
    If you want to learn venture lending and venture capital marketplace but are not willing to work hard and keep up with all of the other really smart people not the place
    everyone is really focused and expect a high level of performance and contribution

Advice to Management

honestly, keep it up, great learning experience and recognized as the top or second highest premium to net asset value BDC. Historical performance speaks for itself.

"Lender of Absolute Last Resort"

Former Employee - Investment Professional in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Investment Professional in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

The base salary wasn't bad.
    There are a few good people stuck there.

Cons

Before considering a job a Hercules, reach out on LinkedIn to one of the dozen people that left in 2014 / 2015 - CFO, CCO, General Counsel, Managing Directors, Principals, HR, Associates, etc. - they will be afraid to be overly honest (for fear of the crazy CEO) but you will be able to read between the lines.

The CEO is unstable. He will smile and shake your hand at the interview and then curse you and threaten to fire you along with everyone else.

The reputation is so bad that getting a company to take their money is nearly impossible.

Promises aren't kept. Incentive comp is a fantasy you wont see.

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO and promote the CIO.

10. "Good Software Dev Position"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hercules Capital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was never given any deadlines on any of my work. It was a great environment to learn the ASP.NET framework.

Cons

The technology was behind the times (Visual C#.NET) and the team was just two people. There was no formal testing.

Advice to Management

Focus more on team building and internal culture. Software management should move to an agile practice to quickly expand functionality of applications.