Heritage Auctions Reviews | Glassdoor

Heritage Auctions Reviews

Updated Jun 4, 2019

Found 80 reviews

Heritage Auctions CEO Steve Ivy (no image)
Steve Ivy
Pros
  • "see some cool stuff, some good coworkers, horrible conditions build solidarity; benefits are ok(in 4 reviews)

• "Great work environment and team to be part of(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Then when they want answers about certain things no one knows why certain things have happened(in 6 reviews)

• "Expected to work weekends and long hours without exception(in 5 reviews)

1. "Great company and work life balance!"

Former Employee - SEO Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Heritage Auctions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I can't speak for all departments, but the digital commerce department was awesome to work in. I generally enjoyed coming into work every day and worked with some amazing people. One of the coolest things about Heritage is the diverse workforce and getting the chance to experience people from all different walks of life from their personalities to the hobbies they do in their free time. Having the opportunity to... see and learn about rare collectibles was also incredibly cool. This was an extremely difficult job for me to leave, but did so for career growth purposes.

Cons

Projects can get held up in IT, which can limit what can be accomplished from a technical SEO perspective.

Advice to Management

Invest in a 401k matching program. This can go a long way to keep employees.

Heritage Auctions2019-06-04
  2. "Great company, great experience"

I worked at Heritage Auctions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employee-centric approach to business. The brass celebrates talent and offers a lot of opportunity for learning and advancement. I was based in California, so I can't speak to corporate other than my experience at the headquarters whenever I was there was great. Excellent benefit program. Some of the best Specialists in the business emerge from this company (across all specialties and levels of seniority.)

Cons

The lack of women in higher management to executive positions was disheartening. The pay is too conservative and not demonstrative of the cost of living. There weren't enough paid holidays, and it was hard to take time off due to the demands of the auction cycle.

Advice to Management

Promote more women to higher positions and invest in those at Junior levels - don't lose good talent to other companies.

Heritage Auctions2019-04-20

"Great company"

Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Heritage Auctions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People are great to work with

Cons

None that I can think of

Heritage Auctions2019-03-18

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Heritage Auctions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Get to handle a bunch of cool items. Management is easy to work with.

Cons

Deadlines can be extremely tight

Heritage Auctions2019-03-14

"Kill the nepotism"

Former Employee - Data Entry Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Heritage Auctions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Met many wonderful people. I enjoyed the higher up's and they would often try to compensate the lower pay with some other fun things (Cake day (monthly), Xmas party, last year I was there they had a pretty awesome raffle with amazing gifts, though sucked if you didn't win but if you did you made out very well)

Cons

My boss was a nightmare. Her entire family runs the joint like the mafia. I was a manager but treated like I didn't exist. Raises are crap for a company that has millions of dollars sitting in its vaults. My last raise.. I didnt even get because they lied on my review. I not only took over another position while doing mine, but did it and did it well. Also had Exec's asking me to work on things due to my trust... worthiness and abilities. Yet when it came time to raises... it was a joke. All because they didn't want to pay. I'd rather have been told you are great, your performance is great, we just don't have the money right now (though - lie but at least you aren't lying about my job performance which I took GREAT pride in).

Advice to Management

Kill the nepotism. Short term summer work is fine, but letting one family run roughshod over the company (and not even Exec's) is idiotic. I left because my boss treated me with no respect because she knew I was far more intelligent then her and I wasn't afraid to say it. She could cuss people out, treat people like trash. Scream at people. Luckily she never pulled that crap with me. Scream at me and I can... scream louder than a siren and I will eviscerate a person with my words because I do not tolerate disrespect. Also actually look at your talent. You really missed out on me. My new boss - he respects me. Allowed me to learn and grow on the job. What I can now do with Excel and analytics - would blow your mind. If I had this knowledge or ability to develop this knowledge when working at Heritage I could fixed so many issues and evaluated the work force and created a much more efficient company as I have done here. I could have probably moved up but there was no way my boss was going to let me go. She liked the power she had. Her loss. I heard it was not an easy transition once I left. I inspired and all she tried to do was inspire through fear and she was created another monster just like her. Happy employees are more productive and more likely to work for you. I love my new boss. I want to be the best so I can make him look like the best. He also doesn't steal credit. He says his credit is having the ability to see talent and put intelligent people in place where they can thrive and that by essence makes him look good. There is a reason I moved up so quickly in my position at Heritage (and my other jobs and my current job) and that was threatening to those who could not compete with my drive and ambition.

Heritage Auctions2019-02-20
  6. "Not the place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Heritage Auctions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some employees are very helpful and it is an interesting industry.

Cons

Raises are a joke, they expect people to work hard but do not reward for it. The turnover rate is high because of their failure to reward talented employees and after they leave for much better opportunities. Management does not seem to fight for the employees they have underneath them. Also it seems like an every man for themselves mentality. Terrible training on the job, mostly just thrown into the fire and... expected to know it. Then when they want answers about certain things no one knows why certain things have happened. Lack of communication between managment and employees.

Heritage Auctions2019-03-19

"This job destroyed me"

Former Employee - Operations in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Heritage Auctions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cons

the pay is a joke and they'll give a < .50 cent raise and act like it's a gift; management is chosen based on nepotism and is incompetent; dangerous work environment - chronic leaks and inhospitable temperatures and sewage backing up, someone fell through a ceiling once; overtime is crazy with days well over 12 hours and weeks without a day off; unnecessary culture of secrecy; rampant sexual harassment that is... never addressed because you aren't supposed to reprimand higher ups; consider most employees disposable; will make you do more and more work with no promotion or raise; clear sexism in pay and the way higher ups talk about employees; very poor environment for priceless objects; no diversity in higher up positions

Heritage Auctions2019-01-31

"Get out!"

I have been working at Heritage Auctions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Schedules can be flexible if yo uh have kids or go to school. Get to travel

Cons

Forget about ever moving up unless you're either friends with management or sleeping with them. You'll be stuck with the same pay until you leave. At most, maybe a $1 raise every 2 years, if you're lucky. This place sucks you of any happiness you hold. The hours are long, and with little pay it's not worth it. Especially during the overtime. There is constant gossiping and harrassment. If you want to report it,... you'll get shut down because that person is protected. People are flat out rude and bigoted. I cant count how many times somebody said the n word or make fun of the trans employees here. They will openly bad mouth muslims without any consequences. The overtime isnt terrible, but it's not good either. I know one department that works their employees like a sweat shop, working 16+ hours a day, even as far as working until the next day, never leaving. That cannot be legal.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees better, dont just give them the monthly birthday snacks. Get better with raises and bonuses. Let those who want to move ahead, move ahead. And provide a MANDATORY diversity seminar! These people need to know it's not okay to be so foul.

Heritage Auctions2019-01-18

"Fun place to work"

I have been working at Heritage Auctions full-time

Pros

You get to see fun and interesting items. The culture is fast paced and outgoing. People are great and knowledgeable about what they do, you can see the true passion.

Cons

High intensity during crunch times.

Advice to Management

Exec team is pleasant and nice. As an employee I do like knowing who I work for and enjoy their continues growth. Please continue to value and invest in your employees.

Heritage Auctions2018-12-12
  10. "Love this work place"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Heritage Auctions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone is friendly New work experiences/opportunities Great work environment Always feel safe Pretty flexible work schedule when needed Managers will always try to work with you as long as you give your all to your position.

Cons

A bit conservative but not a problem for me. I know it can be for others.

Advice to Management

NONE

Heritage Auctions2018-12-12