Hersha Hospitality Trust Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Jay H. Shah

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great people, great company"

Pros

small company, get to know everyone, and everyone is nice

Cons

work can get boring sometimes

2. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Accountant in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You like hotels? You like hospitality? This is the right place for you to work! Love this place!

Cons

Need longer lunches. Not enough smoke breaks. Sometimes you have to work on your break which isn't cool, at all.

Advice to Management

Management, please give your employees more raises and stuff. We need it! We really do! We love you though, real talk.

3. "Peace of Mind"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hersha is a great organization. I have found them to be fair, supportive and driven by the human factor of our business. Unlike many hotel management companies, they get that to be successful you have to take care of your people and they will take care of you. They are evolving with new ideas and strategies to engage the team, assist them with learning opportunities and growing the company which provides for advancement for worthy members of the Hersha team. At Hersha we can never say we are not provided the tools to do our jobs.

Cons

Insurance is as high for families and spouses, but reasonable for the team members

Advice to Management

Find a way to get better insurance rates for employees families

"Great Place"

Former Employee - Administrative in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Hersha Hospitality Trust (More than a year)

Pros

Good sense of community, fun co-workers. Free sodas, coffee, tea in the corporate office, happy hours, beer cart. Nice office

Cons

Can be intense at times. Long hours depending on your department.

Advice to Management

Try to keep people around who are committed to the company and who really want to work there, and who enjoy it

"Positive experience with opportunity for growth."

I worked at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of HHM's core values is personal growth which I can personally attest to. Within a relatively short period of time and a lot of hard work, I was able to advance to General Manager under great leadership and several mentors. If you wok in NYC, the benefits are great. There are some really great people working for HHM and a number of corporate level associates who really do care about the little guy and development.

Cons

Pay is not competitive enough to match other hotel management companies. Not all regions are treated with the same care and attention. Although the company has expanded and made strides, there is still a lot of disorganization from the corporate level to the property level. As expected in the hospitality industry, the turnover rate can cause some inconsistencies in leadership, training and communication.

Advice to Management

Develop a better training infrastructure for new and up-and-coming associates. At the property level, there is sometimes a lack of communication of expectations largely due to poor training. Conduct a wage study for your regions and consider increasing compensation from the bottom up. Other hotel management companies offer at least 12-15% more for comparable positions.

"Decent company, I've enjoyed my time."

Pros

They promote from within and the opportunity for growth is definitely there. They do a great job of making you aware of opportunities as well.

Cons

Wish there were more hotels in their portfolio. There are none in a lot of major cities I would have been interested in moving to. They don't have very many high end or full service hotels either. May be property specific but they do not do very much in the way of employee appreciation or give back to the staff in any way.

7. "Growing pains"

Pros

Great staff on property and amazing regional support. Love my property and the people I work with daily. No matter what is thrown at us, we get through it.

Cons

Corporate staff needs help in the Payroll and IT departments. Need to add more bodies and support for the properties in this area.

Advice to Management

Be proactive with hiring instead of reactive. Prepare for growth by hiring in departments that will need it instead of scrambling after the fact.

8. "Good company, lots of opportunities to grow"

I worked at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Opportunity to grow- The company usually promotes form within, so if you prove yourself you shouldn't have any problem moving up.
    2. Supportive environment- You do get a lot of support from co-workers and supervisors
    3. Amazing co-workers-
    4. Competitive pay

Cons

1. Work load can sometimes be very streneous

9. "Lots of autonomy in the execution of duties."

Current Employee - Banquet Staff in Saint Pete Beach, Pinellas, FL
    Current Employee - Banquet Staff in Saint Pete Beach, Pinellas, FL

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality Trust part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No micromanagement
    Decent hourly pay, considering the skills required.
    Great work environment.
    Great experience to fall back on in tough times.

Cons

Long shifts (12-20 hours)
    High variability in hours worked (Sometimes 80 hr/wk, sometimes 12 hrs/wk)
    A field with high demand for competent, consistent workers (Never out of a job).

10. "Good learning experience"

Former Employee - Food & Beverage Server in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Food & Beverage Server in Wilmington, DE

I worked at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for. Good company core values that works in the best interest of excellent guest service and great guest satisfaction. Overall good potential for internal promoting.

Cons

Benefits and pay aren't that great