Hersha Hospitality Trust Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jay H. Shah

"Do not recommend this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jamaica, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jamaica, NY

I worked at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health Insurance but very expensive and some promotion within

Cons

Do not treat employees fairly; Do not give raises on timely fashion.
    Managers are really bad at providing their staff any time of information

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and listen to their opinions and maybe you will have a better outcome.
    Do not side with General Managers they will always say what you want to hear. Upper Management should check on properties more often so they can actually see what is really going on at the hotels.

"NYC Office is unorganized, unprofessional, petty and regressive."

I worked at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Received NYC & multi-brand experience.

Cons

Regional Operations team is underqualified for positions. Office atmosphere is extremely political, male-dominated and fosters a toxic work environment. Support from Regional Operations and VP of Revenue Management does not exist; their behavior is subversive and counterproductive - they will put their needs and desires above those of the company and their subordinates.

Advice to Management

Take time to listen to employees, this will be most helpful in identifying core problems. Give HR the necessary training so they have the tools to enable them to deal with these issues. Recognize that some of the people in upper-management roles may not be fit for said role, despite the time they have invested with the company. The company itself seems to be moving in the right direction, while the NYC office maintains a very narrow-minded view of the overall picture.

"I worked here for one year and left. Do not recommend this company"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There dont seem to be too many. I guess the regional team that I worked with was nice although they all seemed to be a bit over their heads in the skills they have and the skills they need.

Cons

This company is very "clicky" in that there are two groups. Either you're a long timer and are one of the "boys club" and everyone else. All of the people I talked to in the company tell me how hard it is to break into this click so many people leave after just a year like I did.

Advice to Management

You should employ a feedback mechanism to get the employee's feedback. Then, you should be humble enough to hear us and react to the feedback.

"Area Director of Revenue Management"

I worked at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

best reasons to work here...none

Cons

Corporate office is unorganized and does not know anything about managing people much less hotels. They are a law suit waiting to happen. Never have I seen managers act in such a manner that is despairingly illegal. HR and VP's are a joke! This company is the worst I have ever seen or been anywhere near! I would not let my worst enemy work here! The managers at their hotels are hostile and demeaning to their employees as well as people in the corporate office. The VP's in the Philadelphia office are also demeaning to the employees. There is no communication, no morale report with the managers. This is a sweat shop for hotel workers. The door is constantly revolving!

Advice to Management

This company needs to get real managers. People who know how to actually manage others and keep morale up. They need to learn how to be a real company! Buying dozens of hotels doesn't make you a good company, it is the employees that you have who stay- no one stays here...says a lot about the company!

"Worse Company to work for"

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I cant think of anything nice to put here.

Cons

I work at a hotel manage by Hersha. All i can say is Hersha is cheap. Its all business. There is no incentive for the employees here. I use to love my job until i came to this company. Its very sad to say that. Some of the workers here work over 8 hours and no break, this isnt a sweatshop but they treated us as such.

Advice to Management

They way the property managers are treating your hotel is showing everyone who work here that corporate doesnt really care about the employees. Maybe instead of looking at the numbers ( which you probably well never do) Look at the qualities of your employees, anyways because of them is that you make any money at all.

"Poorly Staffed and Managed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time

Pros

There is a lot of room for advancement (positions, not so much with pay), the company is growing fast and you can get valuable industry experience here.

Cons

You will probably have to learn most things on your own, there is no structured training. The company is very unorganized from the top down. You will have to do the work of many, in most positions, since they don't budget for enough staff to properly run their business. Standards and wages are low (but demands are high) so many of the people you work with will be under-qualified. Most of the qualified employees are overworked and burned out since the company seems to have no real value on them.

Advice to Management

Provide formal training and increase budget for staffing so you can have enough staff to support your needs and pay enough to hire people who are qualified.

"Worst Management Company"

Current Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing
    Current Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No positive attributes about this company

Cons

Upper Management is clueless. No real vision, no trust in their associates.
    Horrible Compensation- Worst in the industry.
    Abysmal incentive structure/opportunity

Advice to Management

Quit. Allow those positions to be occupied by qualified executives who actually exhibit hospitality

9. "No job security"

Former Employee - Food and Beverage
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage

I worked at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, immediate management, and co-workers.

Cons

someone who does not know you or what you give and contribute can terminate your employment.

Advice to Management

Look into an employee record and dedication along with all the other customers the have made happy before you decide to ruin their life and make them feel like they meant nothing to your large corporation!

"Don't Waste Your Time with this Company!"

Pros

Great place for a recent college grad to gain experience.... think of it as an extended internship. When you're ready, start looking for a better company that will treat you right.

Cons

Extremely high turnover at all levels and areas of the company:
    -The benefits are minimal or non-existent. (i.e. you get to use your vacation time when you're sick....lol!)
    - The pay is very low with no hope of a raise or rewards for hard work.
    -Lack of respect and/or appreciation for employees at all levels.
    -Low level of professionalism
    -It's a Top-Down culture.... don't expect any respect if you're not high level management
    -Bad leadership...... I wouldn't want my kids to work there..

Advice to Management

I'm kind of surprised that there aren't more reviews on this site.... but not surprised that just about all of them are negative!

You really need to think about changing the culture to one which appreciates what people do and treats them like human beings. If you continue to run the company like a labor camp..then you'll keep losing all of your good employees.

And stop being sooooo greeeedy! Why are most of your employees making just above the federal minimum wage?!?!?!? Meanwhile you guys are living the life.... you would be banking a lot more money if you invested in the people that actually do the work down to the property staff!!

"The Walmart of Hospitality"

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing good to say. I do not feel valued as an employee. On the upside I do in fact get a paycheck!

Cons

They are such a low cost operator, employees are generally paid way below average which creates more turnover and low morale. Company grew too fast and is buckling beneath its weight at the corporate level. Not enough support for as micromanaging as they try to be. No real training for new hires at any level (line level, supervisor or manager). Roll outs for anything new are reactive instead of proactive which creates chaos. Corporate is also completely disorganized. Hopefully this will change and they learn fast or they will lose employees, myself included.

Advice to Management

See "cons" section and learn.