Hersha Hospitality Trust Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Peace of Mind"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hersha is a great organization. I have found them to be fair, supportive and driven by the human factor of our business. Unlike many hotel management companies, they get that to be successful you have to take care of your people and they will take care of you. They are evolving with new ideas and strategies to engage the team, assist them with learning opportunities and growing the company which provides for advancement for worthy members of the Hersha team. At Hersha we can never say we are not provided the tools to do our jobs.

Cons

Insurance is as high for families and spouses, but reasonable for the team members

Advice to Management

Find a way to get better insurance rates for employees families

"Shared ServicesStaff Accountant"

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, business casual. Most employees and middle management are down to earth. Great place to gain experience and leave because pay/benefits are extremely poor.

Cons

Partner's heads are in the clouds, an astonishing turnover rate by all levels of employees from Directors of Finance to Staff Accountants. Owners refuse to be competitive in terms of pay to keep talented/driven individuals, yet drive their brand new $200,000 sports cars to flaunt to the employees. Health insurance & retirement plan basically non-existent. Overall a gross imbalance when it comes to owners to employees. Rampant nepotism in the corporate culture: a family member of the owner gets almost triple what a regular employee makes.

Advice to Management

Take an inventory of what works and what doesn't. Get rid of what doesn't and reward what does. That may mean not buying a new Bugatti every year, but you would have a much stronger company.

"Poor pay no matter how good of a job you do"

Pros

Employees are dedicated dispite horrible pay

Cons

very poor pay, benefits and time off

Advice to Management

reward employees with decent pay increases for job well done.

4. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Accountant in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You like hotels? You like hospitality? This is the right place for you to work! Love this place!

Cons

Need longer lunches. Not enough smoke breaks. Sometimes you have to work on your break which isn't cool, at all.

Advice to Management

Management, please give your employees more raises and stuff. We need it! We really do! We love you though, real talk.

"wages poor"

Current Employee - Accounting Coordinator
    Current Employee - Accounting Coordinator

Pros

Ok place to start as a entry level if your supervisor/manager actually teaches and show you how to do serious tasks that well help you in your career instead of being stuck as a "accounting coordinator" and making wages a 20 year old couldnt live of, even if they lived at home with mom and dad with no bills.

Cons

Very low pay for the amount of work they give. They classified employees as "accounting coordinator " instead of accounts receivable, accounts payable, staff accountant, or anything else so they can pay you a lower wage even though you are doing all of these job titles that require a higher minimum pay.

Advice to Management

Actually read the surveys that hr gives the employees at these location. Visit the properties and see whats really going on and the issues these employees are having with these low wages and why and how these employees have issues with a lot of these supervisors who dont know how to talk to people.

6. "Great Growth"

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great growth opportunity, you will learn a lot if you have no hospitality background and the people are usually great to work with

Cons

people grow too fast and there is not enough direction. You learn as you go and there is almost no training involved.

Advice to Management

get standards in order and make things black and white. Too many managers at multiple properties have 1 title but do 3 jobs. I understand you're trying to save money but an Executive Housekeeper should not be doing her job, and Accounts receivables, and something else outside of their job title.

7. "Co-workers are like family"

Pros

It's a great place to work because everyone who works here is like family. We have been here way before Hersha was in charge. So we have stuck together.

Cons

The annual raise is only 3%. The company is really cheap when it comes to giving raises.

Advice to Management

If you are willing to pay your employees more then they will be happier at work. Which will result in hard work and great reviews for the hotel. Employee satisfaction is key to a successful business.

"The penny stocks of hotels"

Pros

I can honestly not think of a single pro.

Cons

No work life balance. Promises of growth and ethics; hollow delivery. People who have been in company a long time dump blame and work on newer employees. No support. Honor in service? NOT

Advice to Management

Lack of sincere concern is evident. If you think everyone is beneath you, retire and leave the work to people who care. Politics only get you so far, and the high turnover and lack of employee happiness should tell you something.

9. "Growing pains"

Pros

Great staff on property and amazing regional support. Love my property and the people I work with daily. No matter what is thrown at us, we get through it.

Cons

Corporate staff needs help in the Payroll and IT departments. Need to add more bodies and support for the properties in this area.

Advice to Management

Be proactive with hiring instead of reactive. Prepare for growth by hiring in departments that will need it instead of scrambling after the fact.

"Don't even waste your time!"

Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing positive to say about this company except they give me a paycheck.

Cons

Where to start...the turnover is the highest I have ever seen! This company is money hungry and doesn't care about their employees whatsoever. Benefits are horrible, bonus structure is a rip off (that's if they even decide to pay the bonus) and the management is extremely dysfunctional.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you want them to treat your guests!