Hersha Hospitality Trust Reviews | Glassdoor

Hersha Hospitality Trust Reviews

Updated April 2, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Poorly Staffed and Managed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time

Pros

There is a lot of room for advancement (positions, not so much with pay), the company is growing fast and you can get valuable industry experience here.

Cons

You will probably have to learn most things on your own, there is no structured training. The company is very unorganized from the top down. You will have to do the work of many, in most positions, since they don't budget for enough staff to properly run their business. Standards and wages are low (but demands are high) so many of the people you work with will be under-qualified. Most of the qualified employees are overworked and burned out since the company seems to have no real value on them.

Advice to Management

Provide formal training and increase budget for staffing so you can have enough staff to support your needs and pay enough to hire people who are qualified.

"Area Director of Revenue Management"

I worked at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

best reasons to work here...none

Cons

Corporate office is unorganized and does not know anything about managing people much less hotels. They are a law suit waiting to happen. Never have I seen managers act in such a manner that is despairingly illegal. HR and VP's are a joke! This company is the worst I have ever seen or been anywhere near! I would not let my worst enemy work here! The managers at their hotels are hostile and demeaning to their employees as well as people in the corporate office. The VP's in the Philadelphia office are also demeaning to the employees. There is no communication, no morale report with the managers. This is a sweat shop for hotel workers. The door is constantly revolving!

Advice to Management

This company needs to get real managers. People who know how to actually manage others and keep morale up. They need to learn how to be a real company! Buying dozens of hotels doesn't make you a good company, it is the employees that you have who stay- no one stays here...says a lot about the company!

3. "Good learning experience"

Former Employee - Food & Beverage Server in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Food & Beverage Server in Wilmington, DE

I worked at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for. Good company core values that works in the best interest of excellent guest service and great guest satisfaction. Overall good potential for internal promoting.

Cons

Benefits and pay aren't that great

"I worked here for one year and left. Do not recommend this company"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There dont seem to be too many. I guess the regional team that I worked with was nice although they all seemed to be a bit over their heads in the skills they have and the skills they need.

Cons

This company is very "clicky" in that there are two groups. Either you're a long timer and are one of the "boys club" and everyone else. All of the people I talked to in the company tell me how hard it is to break into this click so many people leave after just a year like I did.

Advice to Management

You should employ a feedback mechanism to get the employee's feedback. Then, you should be humble enough to hear us and react to the feedback.

"NYC Office is unorganized, unprofessional, petty and regressive."

I worked at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Received NYC & multi-brand experience.

Cons

Regional Operations team is underqualified for positions. Office atmosphere is extremely political, male-dominated and fosters a toxic work environment. Support from Regional Operations and VP of Revenue Management does not exist; their behavior is subversive and counterproductive - they will put their needs and desires above those of the company and their subordinates.

Advice to Management

Take time to listen to employees, this will be most helpful in identifying core problems. Give HR the necessary training so they have the tools to enable them to deal with these issues. Recognize that some of the people in upper-management roles may not be fit for said role, despite the time they have invested with the company. The company itself seems to be moving in the right direction, while the NYC office maintains a very narrow-minded view of the overall picture.

6. "Lots of autonomy in the execution of duties."

Current Employee - Banquet Staff in Saint Pete Beach, Pinellas, FL
    Current Employee - Banquet Staff in Saint Pete Beach, Pinellas, FL

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality Trust part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No micromanagement
    Decent hourly pay, considering the skills required.
    Great work environment.
    Great experience to fall back on in tough times.

Cons

Long shifts (12-20 hours)
    High variability in hours worked (Sometimes 80 hr/wk, sometimes 12 hrs/wk)
    A field with high demand for competent, consistent workers (Never out of a job).

"Do not recommend this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jamaica, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jamaica, NY

I worked at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health Insurance but very expensive and some promotion within

Cons

Do not treat employees fairly; Do not give raises on timely fashion.
    Managers are really bad at providing their staff any time of information

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and listen to their opinions and maybe you will have a better outcome.
    Do not side with General Managers they will always say what you want to hear. Upper Management should check on properties more often so they can actually see what is really going on at the hotels.

8. "front desk agent"

I worked at Hersha Hospitality Trust part-time

Pros

Very fun work environment to be in. Location is great

Cons

parking is hard to find

9. "Good company, lots of opportunities to grow"

I worked at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Opportunity to grow- The company usually promotes form within, so if you prove yourself you shouldn't have any problem moving up.
    2. Supportive environment- You do get a lot of support from co-workers and supervisors
    3. Amazing co-workers-
    4. Competitive pay

Cons

1. Work load can sometimes be very streneous

10. "Peace of Mind"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hersha is a great organization. I have found them to be fair, supportive and driven by the human factor of our business. Unlike many hotel management companies, they get that to be successful you have to take care of your people and they will take care of you. They are evolving with new ideas and strategies to engage the team, assist them with learning opportunities and growing the company which provides for advancement for worthy members of the Hersha team. At Hersha we can never say we are not provided the tools to do our jobs.

Cons

Insurance is as high for families and spouses, but reasonable for the team members

Advice to Management

Find a way to get better insurance rates for employees families