Hertz Assistant Branch Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Hertz President & CEO Kathryn V. Marinello
Kathryn V. Marinello

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work/life balance almost expected at smaller location (in 194 reviews)

• Expect to work really long hours if you are in finance or accounting (in 516 reviews)

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, decent sales and management experience. Hertz gives you a chance to move up within the company.

Cons

Work life balance can be poor due to lack of staff.

"Assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You meet some great people ( customers) working for the company . Hours of operation are okay. Great employees. Weekly pay

Cons

Long work hours, not enough employees, company does not respect their employees, low pay, trying different ways to pay the employees less and want to work the employees more, bonus structure gone, make you move up just to receive a little bonus, does not train their employees well, expect you to wash cars and don't make the customer responsible for messing up the vehicles, upper management does not take responsibility on their choices they make, customers receive free upgrades because we never have the size they request, always wanting employees to say yes even when their are no vehicles available. The management staff makes decisions based off friendships.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Customers are not always right.

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of hard work

Cons

Low Pay
    Bad Branch managers

Advice to Management

Increase Pay

"Hertz Local Edition in Kansas City"

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment. Fun co-workers. Entry-level job. Good place to learn relaxed corporate environment. Face-to-face customer interactions. Good way to build network.

Cons

Lack of transparency with upper management. Bonus structure based on area metrics rather than personal performance. Lack of work life balance. Inconsistent schedule. No overtime pay. Change in CEO three times in three years was an indicator of corporate instability. Lack of upward mobility potential. High turnover. Training and development strategies were lackluster. The culture breeds cynicism.

Advice to Management

When you value your employees, they will perform, and the company will grow. This is something that Google, or Amazon, or any other vastly successful company can tell you. Cutting overtime pay and slashing incentives are two ways that employees will certainly feel that they are not valued. Simply saying, "We are not hitting our goals, we must improve by any means necessary" will not help drive results or improve morale. There must be a fundamental change in the Hertz culture. I am not an industry strategist, but from what I can see, Hertz has developed a poisonous culture. Though Hertz could be an excellent training ground for top managers and corporate executives, this will not happen if employees are not given the tools, pay, or encouragement it takes to reach their highest potential.

"Need to present more, value employees"

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overtime available, endless customer service experience.

Cons

Promotion opportunities can take longer than anticipated, hourly pay should be more for multiple duties performed,

Advice to Management

Raised pay to support employees, Focus more fulfilling employee growth.

"Branch Manager Assistant"

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Newnan, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Newnan, GA

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At least Hertz doesn't proudly discriminate against age, like Enterprise does (35+ college graduates need not apply to Enterprise, they'll pick you up, they just won't hire you!). Customer Service skills were enhanced. Hertz is HUGE, and the ability to rent a car at a very reasonable price was very nice. My Co-Workers (big shout out to Blake Edwards, he made the day fly by).. and the overall camaraderie when you do a great job for the company (ie. spend a day at a braves game, all expenses paid!).. Was fun! There are lots of opportunity for advancement, but the competition is fierce! Find a way to stand out from the competition.

Cons

OMG the hours, and the crappy pay! You work your tushy off for $12.00 / hour. You are forced to clean cars in suit and tie, handle unbelievably large workloads with one or two people, which is just a disaster waiting to happen. The hours are easily 50+, on a good week. They frown on overtime, but the turn-over is so high, that most of the time, you're the only one who is left to get the job done. People yell at you, lose their temper, and you are forced to take it. And.. when they go to complain, it's a 50/50 chance that Hertz will defend your professionalism, which is very disheartening. The things that customers say about you that are completely false, fabricated lies... You'd laugh if your bosses didn't force you to defend yourself. The amount of work you do is totally not worth the $12.00 an hour wage you're given. If you want a raise, you have to practically beg for it from a (more often than not) overweight sloth of a human being, claiming to be your boss, who takes his or her own sweet time, who would rather eat a subway sandwich, then give you a F&%king raise! Don't get me started on the half-wits Hertz hires as managers! All they care about is the numbers. If the numbers aren't met here, then they come down, hover, and nit-pick, until the numbers go up or someone gets fired! Your job is constantly threatened by the numbers! I feel like I've escaped a cult!

Advice to Management

The numbers can mean anything you want them to mean. If you do your job, with an appropriate set of people, then the numbers will work themselves out.

Don't get me wrong, bad numbers can mean inconsistency in a certain branch My only advice? Concentrate on the consistency, not the numbers. If you CONSISTENTLY offer the insurance, gas, and protections, a certain percentage of customers will buy! Stop threatening people's jobs! Turnover is horrible as it is. Don't make it worse by incentive-vizing your model employees into looking for better jobs. That's how you lost me!

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Realizing this is the worst job on the planet and getting another one.

Cons

Worst job ever. Management is a bunch of idiots, no cars ever, customers are a bunch of losers, the cars we do have are disgusting, a lot of co workers are insanely stupid.

"Hertz is a starting point."

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Greenville, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Greenville, NC

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's opportunity for upward mobility. Just be willing to put in the hours.

Cons

You'll find yourself in unfavorable situations for work. Often times there are things you'll be asked to do that are questionable.

Advice to Management

Listen to the front line staff more often.

"assistant branch manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

customer relations are gratifying, good to meet new people with different backgrounds and experiences

Cons

no organization, find myself lying to customers daily to meet company requirements even if we can fulllfill customer request, no recognition, no transparency, not enough resources need to complete daily tasks

Advice to Management

make sure full management training is given before promoting some to branch manager, well rounded managers/leaders.

"Avoid if you can"

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to manage your own business. Learn a lot about cars.

Cons

There might not be much of a growth opportunity. Waste of a college degree. After a year or two, growth is relatively static. Vacuum your tie all the time. Worked 6 or 7 times a week. Too much pressure to sell products customers don't need.

Advice to Management

More positive reinforcement. Increase base pay. Get newer cars.