Hertz Assistant Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hertz President & CEO Kathryn V. Marinello
Kathryn V. Marinello

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work/life balance almost expected at smaller location (in 184 reviews)

• Expect to work really long hours if you are in finance or accounting (in 499 reviews)

"Assistant Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, decent sales and management experience. Hertz gives you a chance to move up within the company.

Cons

Work life balance can be poor due to lack of staff.

"Hertz Local Edition in Kansas City"

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment. Fun co-workers. Entry-level job. Good place to learn relaxed corporate environment. Face-to-face customer interactions. Good way to build network.

Cons

Lack of transparency with upper management. Bonus structure based on area metrics rather than personal performance. Lack of work life balance. Inconsistent schedule. No overtime pay. Change in CEO three times in three years was an indicator of corporate instability. Lack of upward mobility potential. High turnover. Training and development strategies were lackluster. The culture breeds cynicism.

Advice to Management

When you value your employees, they will perform, and the company will grow. This is something that Google, or Amazon, or any other vastly successful company can tell you. Cutting overtime pay and slashing incentives are two ways that employees will certainly feel that they are not valued. Simply saying, "We are not hitting our goals, we must improve by any means necessary" will not help drive results or improve morale. There must be a fundamental change in the Hertz culture. I am not an industry strategist, but from what I can see, Hertz has developed a poisonous culture. Though Hertz could be an excellent training ground for top managers and corporate executives, this will not happen if employees are not given the tools, pay, or encouragement it takes to reach their highest potential.

"just a job"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

paycheck and bonus when things went well

Cons

its too many to mention

Advice to Management

when there is 4 CEO'S in 3 years this should open ALL EYES

"Branch Manager Assistant"

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Newnan, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Newnan, GA

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At least Hertz doesn't proudly discriminate against age, like Enterprise does (35+ college graduates need not apply to Enterprise, they'll pick you up, they just won't hire you!). Customer Service skills were enhanced. Hertz is HUGE, and the ability to rent a car at a very reasonable price was very nice. My Co-Workers (big shout out to Blake Edwards, he made the day fly by).. and the overall camaraderie when you do a great job for the company (ie. spend a day at a braves game, all expenses paid!).. Was fun! There are lots of opportunity for advancement, but the competition is fierce! Find a way to stand out from the competition.

Cons

OMG the hours, and the crappy pay! You work your tushy off for $12.00 / hour. You are forced to clean cars in suit and tie, handle unbelievably large workloads with one or two people, which is just a disaster waiting to happen. The hours are easily 50+, on a good week. They frown on overtime, but the turn-over is so high, that most of the time, you're the only one who is left to get the job done. People yell at you, lose their temper, and you are forced to take it. And.. when they go to complain, it's a 50/50 chance that Hertz will defend your professionalism, which is very disheartening. The things that customers say about you that are completely false, fabricated lies... You'd laugh if your bosses didn't force you to defend yourself. The amount of work you do is totally not worth the $12.00 an hour wage you're given. If you want a raise, you have to practically beg for it from a (more often than not) overweight sloth of a human being, claiming to be your boss, who takes his or her own sweet time, who would rather eat a subway sandwich, then give you a F&%king raise! Don't get me started on the half-wits Hertz hires as managers! All they care about is the numbers. If the numbers aren't met here, then they come down, hover, and nit-pick, until the numbers go up or someone gets fired! Your job is constantly threatened by the numbers! I feel like I've escaped a cult!

Advice to Management

The numbers can mean anything you want them to mean. If you do your job, with an appropriate set of people, then the numbers will work themselves out.

Don't get me wrong, bad numbers can mean inconsistency in a certain branch My only advice? Concentrate on the consistency, not the numbers. If you CONSISTENTLY offer the insurance, gas, and protections, a certain percentage of customers will buy! Stop threatening people's jobs! Turnover is horrible as it is. Don't make it worse by incentive-vizing your model employees into looking for better jobs. That's how you lost me!

"Hertz is a starting point."

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Greenville, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Greenville, NC

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's opportunity for upward mobility. Just be willing to put in the hours.

Cons

You'll find yourself in unfavorable situations for work. Often times there are things you'll be asked to do that are questionable.

Advice to Management

Listen to the front line staff more often.

"assistant branch manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

customer relations are gratifying, good to meet new people with different backgrounds and experiences

Cons

no organization, find myself lying to customers daily to meet company requirements even if we can fulllfill customer request, no recognition, no transparency, not enough resources need to complete daily tasks

Advice to Management

make sure full management training is given before promoting some to branch manager, well rounded managers/leaders.

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Hertz (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people that work with you. Learn to multi task quickly, get some up sale experience

Cons

Too hectic, angry customers all the time, horrible management, just want kids out of college, will work you to the bone.

Advice to Management

better training and advancement opportunities

"Avoid if you can"

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to manage your own business. Learn a lot about cars.

Cons

There might not be much of a growth opportunity. Waste of a college degree. After a year or two, growth is relatively static. Vacuum your tie all the time. Worked 6 or 7 times a week. Too much pressure to sell products customers don't need.

Advice to Management

More positive reinforcement. Increase base pay. Get newer cars.

"Assistant Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Operations Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Operations Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Hertz (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging Work Experience, Lots to Learn, Everyday is Different

Cons

Salary, No Work-Life Balance, Upper level management was not very supportive

Advice to Management

Please increase salary to meet living requirements.

"Good stepping stone"

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Potential for money is there
    Open environment
    Good benefits
    Get to meet lots of different people from all over
    Get to drive some nice cars

Cons

Company keeps pushing you not necessarily in a good way
    Low pay for what you have to deal with
    Ends up feeling like a regular retail sales job
    Upper management only does what benefits them

Advice to Management

Do more to keep employees happy.
    Spend a little bit more money to make things better for everyone