Hertz Branch Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hertz President & CEO Kathryn V. Marinello
Kathryn V. Marinello

Pros
  • Great management, good benefits (in 107 reviews)

• great people, great benefits, all working towards the same goal (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance almost expected at smaller location (in 182 reviews)

• Expect to work really long hours if you are in finance or accounting (in 493 reviews)

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Estero, FL
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Estero, FL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cars for managers, don't have to pay for gas or insurance

Cons

Constant changes to bonus structure to fit the needs of the company. Will nickle and dime you out of bonuses. Can be very stressful if you don't have cars on your lot

Advice to Management

Higher pay would lead to less turnover. Employee morale is down due to employees feeling underappreciated.

"Branch Manager Trainee"

Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Houston, TX

I worked at Hertz full-time

Pros

Coworkers were like family. Company has great motivational training's throughout the time you are there. Bonus checks keep you wanting more.

Cons

Pay sucks. The people you deal with everyday are straight out of hell. The dealerships you create relationships with lack loyalty. Upper management lacks loyalty when it comes to their employees. Long work hours with little help. Job is fast pace oriented but too much emphasis on fast.

Advice to Management

Security is needed for every branch. Every branch needs more than 2 front desk workers and a porter. Employees need more paid vacation time than given. Focus on your employees a little more and listen to what they have to say. The customer is NOT always right.

"Assistant Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, decent sales and management experience. Hertz gives you a chance to move up within the company.

Cons

Work life balance can be poor due to lack of staff.

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The money is good, but only because you work so much that you don't have time to spend it.

Cons

Hours vs pay ratio is terrible. Multiple times I watched employees complain to high up management and every single time we were ignored. They have no appreciation for the employees hard work. Very little to nothing is done to boost employee moral. Also, if you are interviewing and they tell you that its not a sales job or you don't have to clean cars DO NOT believe them. It is a sales position and you absolutely have to clean the cars. ( -30degrees or 130 degrees). Lying to people during an interview is not a good way to start a business partnership. Being listed on the top worst companies to work for was no mistake.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Appreciate them. Don't lie (people see right through it).

"Branch manager trainee"

Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros of working at hertz was the ability to test drive the different cars. I also like at my branch I had almost guaranteed overtime

Cons

The quality of cars was poor. I had the laziest manager and we never had cars. Also I worked a a uber partnered hertz so dealing with those customers without being compensated through a bonus was terrible

Advice to Management

Don't let just anyone become a manager off their numbers.

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

growth opportunity and free car, insurance, and gas.

Cons

long hours, terrible management, unreasonable expectations, absolutely no transparency, and horrible bonus plan.

Advice to Management

you preach about the "3 pillars", but have forgotten the most important one - employees!!

"Awful"

Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Paterson, NJ
    Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Paterson, NJ

I have been working at Hertz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any. Avoid at all costs and look else where. Too many cons. Only plus side is vacation policy and pto.

Cons

Long hours
    Poor management
    Low pay
    Unrealistic expectations
    No bonuses
    FORGET ANY OTHER DESCRIPTION, THIS IS A SALES JOB
    If you want to get promoted, sell.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees.

"Good benefits. Heavy load of work."

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Started as an MT (Manager Trainee) and quickly became Branch manager. Great Benefits. Branch manager position gets a company car and free gas. Get to build great connection and meet a lot of people. Its something new everyday in the rental car world.

Cons

LONG hours of work. Usual shift was from 9 to 12 hours. Not enough staffing to cover daily operations. There was days where I work a full 8 hours before even having a chance to take a break and have lunch. Micromanaging just became ridiculous. Very unorganized company. Too many changes to keep up, just felt like us employees were always playing catchup. Poor training.

Advice to Management

TRAIN your employees. Get more staffing. Have better communication.

"Hertz Local Edition in Kansas City"

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment. Fun co-workers. Entry-level job. Good place to learn relaxed corporate environment. Face-to-face customer interactions. Good way to build network.

Cons

Lack of transparency with upper management. Bonus structure based on area metrics rather than personal performance. Lack of work life balance. Inconsistent schedule. No overtime pay. Change in CEO three times in three years was an indicator of corporate instability. Lack of upward mobility potential. High turnover. Training and development strategies were lackluster. The culture breeds cynicism.

Advice to Management

When you value your employees, they will perform, and the company will grow. This is something that Google, or Amazon, or any other vastly successful company can tell you. Cutting overtime pay and slashing incentives are two ways that employees will certainly feel that they are not valued. Simply saying, "We are not hitting our goals, we must improve by any means necessary" will not help drive results or improve morale. There must be a fundamental change in the Hertz culture. I am not an industry strategist, but from what I can see, Hertz has developed a poisonous culture. Though Hertz could be an excellent training ground for top managers and corporate executives, this will not happen if employees are not given the tools, pay, or encouragement it takes to reach their highest potential.

"Hertz, Squirts."

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training material for personal growth, numbers metric still exists but not reaching your numbers doesn’t resort to a write-up, free rental and gas for personal use (only as a branch manager), experience of driving new vehicles, connecting and building relationships with some great customers.

Cons

Having to clean dirty cars immaculately in any weather including snow, consistent flow of angry customers, aggressive micromanagement from above branch level, scenarios which you must sacrifice sales for the sake of making angry customers happy which in-turn punishes your sales people, too many uncontrollable things (e.g. time management issues leading to not having fleet ready and available for rentals) which puts you into customer service issues, no breaks and no lunches (no lunch for branch manager only), phones constantly ringing making job difficult to perform in other functions (like cleaning cars), environment is naturally toxic, absolutely no work-life balance with the required minimum 60hr work week, branch manager pay diluted with so many work hours that pay is better as a Manager Trainee, unrealistic time to clean cars immaculately, short staffing of all the branches make it difficult to manage operations and time.

Advice to Management

Stop the micromanagement, stop initiating destructive conversations which does not attribute to the success of your own people and branches, stop finding reasons to fire people who you either simply don't connect with or aren't comparably as passionate about the business, quit deflecting issues away from yourself and take responsibility, quit with the personal attacks, be a part of the team and do as we do, analyze and assess issues before placing the blame immediately on your peers.

This review is for Off-Airport Colorado Springs only.