Hertz Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Hertz President & CEO Kathryn V. Marinello
Kathryn V. Marinello

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work/life balance almost expected at smaller location (in 195 reviews)

• Expect to work really long hours if you are in finance or accounting (in 516 reviews)

1. "Transporter"

Current Employee - Transporter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Transporter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Upward mobility, tuition reimbursement, good pay

Cons

Lazy co-workers who lack passion

Advice to Management

Train employees and monitor them

"Manager Trainee"

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours of operation are good and insight on various vehicles is a plus.

Cons

Long hours, no cars, short staff, insufficient resources, over worked, under paid, and inconsistent policies.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what customers are complaining about and fix those issues within the company. Stop being "greedy" and allowing customers to book reservations when we don't have cars! If you know your biggest contract is high demand, get more cars in the fleet!

"Worst company ever"

Former Employee - MIT in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - MIT in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hertz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers could be friendly when they want to be!!

Cons

Environment was horrible to work in, management was negative, lied to customers all the time. I got yelled at in front of customers. I felt like a rat race trying to get cars.

Advice to Management

Learn to be more professional in front of customers.

"just a job"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

paycheck and bonus when things went well

Cons

its too many to mention

Advice to Management

when there is 4 CEO'S in 3 years this should open ALL EYES

"Smoke and mirrors"

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hertz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-health benefits
    -nice co-workers
    -manager was kind
    -fairly simple application process
    -short interview process
    -flexible time off(depending on your manager)
    -you can drive many different cars

Cons

-antiquated technology. During my time at hertz(a local branch) the technology the company uses was beyond horrible. 1. When you clock in/out of work You feel like your working in the 1950's because you literally have a time sheet where you clock in/out. 2. The reservations software they use could also use a complete overhaul as you have to click on it several times to even get it work.

-office needs major remodel. The office where I worked was a mess in and of itself. From the break room which they should just call a rusty tin can because that's how small and dirty it was, to the the one car garage that was a health hazard, the office could use a major update.

-Manager Trainee...what a joke.

If I wanted to work in a car wash I would have applied to one! From day one you are really not much more then a glorified flunky with a "bs" title. The truth is you will be doing a lot of grunt work which 90% of is cleaning cars, 5% picking up customers from auto body shops,and 5% making reservations/inputting information when a customer returns a car.

The truth is hertz doesn't have a "manager trainee program" with a starting salary of $35,000 a year like there job post states in order to get over qualified college graduates into thinking that this would be a good entry level job. The actual reality of the situation is that you have the opportunity to work your way up just as working for any other company, but as far as a specific training program...it frankly does not exist.

-hertz reality vs. actual reality

When you apply for the "manager trainee" job where hertz makes you believe that you will be learning the business to become an actual manager with a salaried job is just not the actual reality of the situation. The way it actually works is you start of as an hourly employee($12/hour) to do a ton of grunt work for not enough pay. Then after working your butt of for several months, you may get a raise and become an assistant branch manager for a $2/hour raise, where they will continue to work you into the ground. Lastly, after a couple of promotions later(granted your upselling customers on getting them to buy there "protection and gas plans") IF a position opens up as a branch manager it MIGHT be one you can get and finally become a salaried employee where I've heard they work you so far into the ground that you basically turn back into an hourly employee.

Advice to Management

-be honest about the actual position/pay
    -have a more comprehensive training program
    -remodel the business
    -update the technology you use!

6. "Vehicle Service Attendant"

Current Employee - Vehicle Service Attendant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vehicle Service Attendant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz (Less than a year)

Pros

Light work great hours full time

Cons

When all the cars are clean the work day goes slow

"Assistant Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits. Work life balance is ok. Initial opportunities are abundant. Great initial training.

Cons

No accountability. Lack of focus, always changing hot buttons. Compensation package can be lucrative if management had any idea what the bonus structure actually consisted of. I was paid multiple bonus for my previous position while in my most recent position plus the current. Bonus structure keeps changing. Company is going through an overhaul due to poor direction by former CEO.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to those who show an interest in career advancement. Good employees leave due to poor management.

"Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Branch Rental Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Branch Rental Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

This was an ok Company at first when I was in College and trying to pay for it but after we got under new management that place went down hill

Cons

No work life balance,Bad pay,Management only care about numbers and when you produce there is no rewards and if your are BLACK your only advancement if you start out in branch is Branch is maybe branch manager or maybe very few are Area manager and if you do make it pass that then your a black women the only reason your got that spot was you were Black and a women which is a double bonus become your a double minority.

Advice to Management

Value your employees,Give Blacks a chance,pay better,stop stealing the bonus from your employees.

"Location Manager"

Former Employee - Location Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Location Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hertz (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team with great culture.

Cons

Employees simply don't stay around.

"Zero Stars"

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Healthcare depending what plan you pick and Rental car discounts. I worked with some great managers.

Cons

730-6 days or longer with no breaks or lunch breaks because of high turnover and upper management is awful at hiring enough people for store locations. Upper management will not help you and will blame you for everything. Management thinks it's fine to leave one person in a store to do everything (clean cars, help customers, answer phones, etc) There are managers that don't know how to do simple paperwork. Unqualified people can be promoted because of the high turnover.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees. Stop treating employees as disposable garbage because they're the ones working hard.

Showing 73 of 3,745 reviews