Hertz Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hertz President & CEO Kathryn V. Marinello
Kathryn V. Marinello

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work/life balance almost expected at smaller location (in 184 reviews)

• Expect to work really long hours if you are in finance or accounting (in 499 reviews)

"just a job"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

paycheck and bonus when things went well

Cons

its too many to mention

Advice to Management

when there is 4 CEO'S in 3 years this should open ALL EYES

"M T"

Current Employee - M T in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - M T in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can gain great knowledge about the business, which you can use in your future careers. Off early on Saturdays, closed on Sundays, and no work on holidays. Weekly pay is nice also!

Cons

There's hardly ever any fleet. The fleet we do have is old, dirty, and smells. Billing is horrible. You have to do at least five jobs for the price of one; you will do the rental, return the rental, wash and gas the cars, and pick up and drop off customers. You will be forced to sell optional services, and if you don't meet your numbers, you're subjected to a write up. You do not get a bonus for what you sell! Short staff and long hours.

Advice to Management

Please, focus more on adequate training. Not just forcing learning connections down our throats. Stop forcing us to sell when majority of the business is insurance replacement. It always causes confusion. Get more fleet, good fleet! Stop snatching cars. As soon as you do that, escalations start! Give your employees some initiatives, and act like you value us. In return we may become motivated to do better.

"Keep looking and be treated better"

Current Employee - Transportation in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Transportation in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at Hertz part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible hours and days off

Cons

management prefers not to be bothered.

Advice to Management

improve people skills and moral....job well done is appreciated to hear once in awhile.

"Worst company ever"

Former Employee - MIT in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - MIT in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hertz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers could be friendly when they want to be!!

Cons

Environment was horrible to work in, management was negative, lied to customers all the time. I got yelled at in front of customers. I felt like a rat race trying to get cars.

Advice to Management

Learn to be more professional in front of customers.

"Smoke and mirrors"

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hertz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-health benefits
    -nice co-workers
    -manager was kind
    -fairly simple application process
    -short interview process
    -flexible time off(depending on your manager)
    -you can drive many different cars

Cons

-antiquated technology. During my time at hertz(a local branch) the technology the company uses was beyond horrible. 1. When you clock in/out of work You feel like your working in the 1950's because you literally have a time sheet where you clock in/out. 2. The reservations software they use could also use a complete overhaul as you have to click on it several times to even get it work.

-office needs major remodel. The office where I worked was a mess in and of itself. From the break room which they should just call a rusty tin can because that's how small and dirty it was, to the the one car garage that was a health hazard, the office could use a major update.

-Manager Trainee...what a joke.

If I wanted to work in a car wash I would have applied to one! From day one you are really not much more then a glorified flunky with a "bs" title. The truth is you will be doing a lot of grunt work which 90% of is cleaning cars, 5% picking up customers from auto body shops,and 5% making reservations/inputting information when a customer returns a car.

The truth is hertz doesn't have a "manager trainee program" with a starting salary of $35,000 a year like there job post states in order to get over qualified college graduates into thinking that this would be a good entry level job. The actual reality of the situation is that you have the opportunity to work your way up just as working for any other company, but as far as a specific training program...it frankly does not exist.

-hertz reality vs. actual reality

When you apply for the "manager trainee" job where hertz makes you believe that you will be learning the business to become an actual manager with a salaried job is just not the actual reality of the situation. The way it actually works is you start of as an hourly employee($12/hour) to do a ton of grunt work for not enough pay. Then after working your butt of for several months, you may get a raise and become an assistant branch manager for a $2/hour raise, where they will continue to work you into the ground. Lastly, after a couple of promotions later(granted your upselling customers on getting them to buy there "protection and gas plans") IF a position opens up as a branch manager it MIGHT be one you can get and finally become a salaried employee where I've heard they work you so far into the ground that you basically turn back into an hourly employee.

Advice to Management

-be honest about the actual position/pay
    -have a more comprehensive training program
    -remodel the business
    -update the technology you use!

"Not what they tell you up front!"

Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Highland, IN
    Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Highland, IN

I have been working at Hertz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to grow, access to new cars, and good discount.

Cons

Long hours, angry customers, low-pay, unorganized, no fleet, bad fleet, and sales goals.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate the sales goals. Promote your dedicated workers in a timely matter. Resolve fleet issues and get better cars.

"Manager Trainee program does not work"

Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

discounts on rentals, laid back staff, able to move to different departments of company, meet all type of people from around the world

Cons

HOURS, PAY, ONLY PROMOTE FAVORITES, BONUS STRUCTURE, DIFFICULT CUSTOMERS, WORK LOAD, UNDERSTAFFED, HIGH TURN OVER RATE, HIGH EXPECTATIONS BUT NO REWARD, DIFFICULT UPPER MANAGEMENT,

Advice to Management

Branch manager- don't put so much work on your staff and require them to do 10+ hours over time and not have ANY breaks.
    District/General Manager- listened to your managers and employees concerns, don't be so hard on managers, and if you have staff that is qualified to be a manager, and has done the work of a manager at multiple stores, PROMOTE THEM!!! It's not always about sales especially is the employees sales are not bad.

8. "Vehicle Service Attendant"

Current Employee - Vehicle Service Attendant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vehicle Service Attendant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz (Less than a year)

Pros

Light work great hours full time

Cons

When all the cars are clean the work day goes slow

"Assistant Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits. Work life balance is ok. Initial opportunities are abundant. Great initial training.

Cons

No accountability. Lack of focus, always changing hot buttons. Compensation package can be lucrative if management had any idea what the bonus structure actually consisted of. I was paid multiple bonus for my previous position while in my most recent position plus the current. Bonus structure keeps changing. Company is going through an overhaul due to poor direction by former CEO.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to those who show an interest in career advancement. Good employees leave due to poor management.

"Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Branch Rental Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Branch Rental Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

This was an ok Company at first when I was in College and trying to pay for it but after we got under new management that place went down hill

Cons

No work life balance,Bad pay,Management only care about numbers and when you produce there is no rewards and if your are BLACK your only advancement if you start out in branch is Branch is maybe branch manager or maybe very few are Area manager and if you do make it pass that then your a black women the only reason your got that spot was you were Black and a women which is a double bonus become your a double minority.

Advice to Management

Value your employees,Give Blacks a chance,pay better,stop stealing the bonus from your employees.

Showing 107 of 3,549 reviews