Hertz Manager Trainee Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hertz President & CEO Kathryn V. Marinello
Kathryn V. Marinello

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work/life balance almost expected at smaller location (in 184 reviews)

• Expect to work really long hours if you are in finance or accounting (in 499 reviews)

"Poor corporate model."

Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay with 4 year degree and 10hr/wk of overtime. Weekly paycheck. 50 hr work week. Get to drive cool cars sometimes.

Cons

Exhausting hours. Angry customers due to lack of cars. Impossible sales goals by ethical means. High turnover rate! Cooperate af. Rent in a dirty car is a durable offense. Management expects customers to wait until we can have a clean car ready.

Advice to Management

There's no hope of improving without meeting the supply of cars with the demand and changing the corporate model.

"Branch Manager Trainee"

Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Houston, TX

I worked at Hertz full-time

Pros

Coworkers were like family. Company has great motivational training's throughout the time you are there. Bonus checks keep you wanting more.

Cons

Pay sucks. The people you deal with everyday are straight out of hell. The dealerships you create relationships with lack loyalty. Upper management lacks loyalty when it comes to their employees. Long work hours with little help. Job is fast pace oriented but too much emphasis on fast.

Advice to Management

Security is needed for every branch. Every branch needs more than 2 front desk workers and a porter. Employees need more paid vacation time than given. Focus on your employees a little more and listen to what they have to say. The customer is NOT always right.

"Branch manager trainee"

Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros of working at hertz was the ability to test drive the different cars. I also like at my branch I had almost guaranteed overtime

Cons

The quality of cars was poor. I had the laziest manager and we never had cars. Also I worked a a uber partnered hertz so dealing with those customers without being compensated through a bonus was terrible

Advice to Management

Don't let just anyone become a manager off their numbers.

"Poor management is Hertz's downfall"

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Hertz (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent. If you are female, they make sure you succeed. Constantly busy with State Farm claims and dealership replacements.

Cons

They hire people with very little skills. Focus too much on numbers to promotion, hard work does not matter. Poor management. Do not value employees. If you are male, you will wash cars 85% of your day.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and look at things from another angle. I promise you will see the problems.

"Awful"

Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Paterson, NJ
    Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Paterson, NJ

I have been working at Hertz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any. Avoid at all costs and look else where. Too many cons. Only plus side is vacation policy and pto.

Cons

Long hours
    Poor management
    Low pay
    Unrealistic expectations
    No bonuses
    FORGET ANY OTHER DESCRIPTION, THIS IS A SALES JOB
    If you want to get promoted, sell.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees.

"Manager Trainee"

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Newport News, VA

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

i would not wish this job on my worst enemy

Cons

unrealistic expectations, management does not like to be bothered, bonuses are no longer available until you're a manager so don't let the job description mislead you, very long hours, constantly understaffed, cleaning cars in dress clothes, questionable cars are rented everyday (be careful with every one way you rent), team players in this business are a rarity, other branches are more important than others and that goes for the staff too. The only way to get promoted is if you are making sales - which is fair, but it opens the door for unqualified people to run a branch.

Advice to Management

Value not only your customers, but your employees. Your low men on the totem are the ones that are face to face with customers everyday representing your company.

"pay cut"

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Naples, FL

Pros

good health benefits

discount on rentals

Cons

pay plan always changes

poor training

Advice to Management

train your employees

"Branch Manager Trainee"

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part of working at Hertz rental car is that you have an opportunity to quickly move up to the Branch Manager position

Cons

There are long hours, you are under paid and management is always on your back about sales goal that are normal unattainable.

"Manager Trainee"

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Cut Off, LA
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Cut Off, LA

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overtime, another experience gained, always busy which makes your day go by quickly, rewarding feeling by your customers who appreciate what you do for them

Cons

Cons:

* You are a NUMBER and nothing more!
    * Long hours
    * Always understaffed
    * Overworked and underpaid
    * Basically thrown to the wolves from the get go
    * Software is outdated
    * Training program is a joke! Totally opposite from what they claim to be. It's all just to look pretty on paper.
    * Room for advancement: haha...only if you meet their sales numbers will you advance! That leads to employees who get promoted to manager positions who have absolutely NO IDEA how to manage!!
    * Favoritism is unreal
    * Upper management shows absolutely NO interest in employee input; although Hertz claims to be a business where good communication is valued and highly encouraged.
    * They expect you to get the job done but lacks giving the tools needed in order for this to happen
    * You're left running the branch by yourself only after two weeks on the job with minimal training.
    * Washing cars....yep you must do that too guys...Enterprise certainly beats Hertz in that area...at least they're not too cheap to hire people to wash the cars
    * Absolutely NO appreciation for the hard work you do...I have gone above and beyond to help my customers and make things convenient for them. Even conducting rentals on my time off due to my choosing; however, Hertz could care less about the good you do if it doesn't involve "NUMBERS"
    * Only hear from upper management when they have an issue with you. Believe me...they will never go out of their way give you a pat on the back.
    * Does this company backup and support their employees? Absolutely NOT! They will take the word of a customer's complaint over yours, even though you have the evidence and facts to prove your innocence, they choose not to take that extra step for their employee.
    * If you try to voice your concerns or take steps to prove a false claim...watch out bc upper management will retaliate against you and find a way to get you out. They take absolutely no responsibility for ANYTHING! Everything falls on you!
    * Be aware of managers and co-workers...they are capable of lies and deceit just to take blame off their backs as per the saying "snakes in the grass"...so be alert.
    * Applicants...my suggestion would be to go to Enterprise. At least they respect their employees more than Hertz ever will!
    * I can go on and on...but to sum it up...Hertz is only out there to make a $...PERIOD!!

Advice to Management

Learn to value your employees...maybe you wouldn't have such a high turnover rate!

With management being a major issue...tweak out your promotion requirements. Just because someone is good at sales doesn't mean they will have the skills and leadership to be a good manager and vice versa.

10. "Manager Trainee"

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hertz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount (40%), driving different vehicles, variety of work

Cons

Work life balance, pay, opportunity for growth

Advice to Management

Listen to employees on the front line,