Hertz Reviews in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

1.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hertz President & CEO Kathryn V. Marinello
Kathryn V. Marinello

Pros
  • Great management, good benefits (in 105 reviews)

• Great shift and great people to work with (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance almost expected at smaller location (in 176 reviews)

• Expect to work really long hours if you are in finance or accounting (in 486 reviews)

"Poor corporate model."

Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay with 4 year degree and 10hr/wk of overtime. Weekly paycheck. 50 hr work week. Get to drive cool cars sometimes.

Cons

Exhausting hours. Angry customers due to lack of cars. Impossible sales goals by ethical means. High turnover rate! Cooperate af. Rent in a dirty car is a durable offense. Management expects customers to wait until we can have a clean car ready.

Advice to Management

There's no hope of improving without meeting the supply of cars with the demand and changing the corporate model.

"Location Manager I"

Former Employee - Location Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Location Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

You get a company car to drive and free gas.

Cons

Sale Representatives rip off the customers through deceptive and predatory sales techniques, while Upper Managers look the other way. Training is very unorganized. Lower Managers are expected to work 15 hrs + days and come in on your off days. The company treat their employees like their rental vehicles , TURN AND BURN. They treat their customers even worst by: adding extra charges, insurance products etc.

Advice to Management

Find your moral compass. Stop treating your employees like rental vehicles. Be more customer focuses vs creating a culture for crooks.

3. "TPL"

Former Employee - Team Performance Leader/Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Team Performance Leader/Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Hertz (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Opportunities for advancements and Management

Cons

some Hours at night weekends and Holidays

Advice to Management

None

"On site service rep"

Former Employee - Account Executive/On-Site Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No manager standing over you, discounted car rental.

Cons

Hertz fired their CEO in 2015 and they restructured the company by re-interviewing all management to flush out the bad. The restructuring also put money into renting exotic cars in big markets. They also treat the employees poorly. They do not invest in their staff and would rather spend money on sports cars than sports stars of employees.

Advice to Management

Spend more money on your people and your company will prosper faster.

"You are another body for them to over work"

Current Employee - Vehicle Service Attendant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Vehicle Service Attendant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Hertz (More than a year)

Pros

The poeple you work with are friendly
    you get to drive new cars
    Almost unlimited OT

Cons

The location is always under staff making you work mandatory over time! They will make you work 3 hours mandatory within one hr noticed! You have to stay otherwise you will be written up!

During season you will work 16 hour shift everyday for 2-3 months!!! Only the 2 people high in seniority wont do it.

This is a union environment which can be either good or bad!

Managers dont last, they are always getting fired or quitting which makes the department unstable

The pumps, the carwash and the system to scan cars dont work. Whenever we ask managers when it will be fixed, they said that they have submitted the problem but never gets fixed!

Managers are always looking for things to writte you up! come on, you need the people why are you looking for things to fire them??

Working on the hot summer days of phoenix sucks!

Advice to Management

Provide some of the waters you give to employees in the main building! Specially in the hot summer!

"Stressful with no work/life balance!"

Former Employee - Location Manager I in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Location Manager I in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It helped me learn different areas of the business making my resume better.
    Free car
    Free gas
    Request a car in other locations
    Request special vehicles if you find your gm in good mood

Cons

They make you work long hours specially if you work in the LOT area. Sometimes your looking at 16 hr day and expected to be there the next day on time and with energy. I made some mistakes and the GM hold that against me. They did offered me training but even though i improved he would always hold that mistake against me. The location was often under staff making customers wait in line up to an hour, and they still expect us to upsell them. The location often dont have the correct fleet having to dealing with angry customers that got downgraded.
    Gm will make you drive compacts for under performing while he will take mercedes, SUV and 300, where is the lead by example?
    They give you basic training and expect you to be the master of your deparment

Advice to Management

pay 10K more and you will surely make that job worth your while

"review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Hertz full-time

Pros

free car, opportunity for growth

Cons

long hours, sometimes very stressful

Advice to Management

pay your managers more

9. "Branch manager trainee"

Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Hertz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best reason would be how easy the job can be during certain hours. My manager was great. He lead by example came in on weekends to make sure we had our special equipment.

Cons

No room for advancement unless a position holds up. Many times coworkers will take walk up reservations to boost their numbers. Terrible hours at airport locations as well as being understaffed. Great manager though.

Advice to Management

Through third parties, do not allow customers to reserve vehicles when there are none available. The third parties will suggest we drop our reservation who has reserved three months before hand compared the presidents circle who makes a reservation a half hour early.

"High expectations with little support"

Former Employee - Hertz Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Hertz Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Hertz part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was weekly.

Cons

The commission was not structured so that employees can commission.

Advice to Management

Get managers that actually know the job. Most of the time the managers couldn't help because they didn't know how to perform the job themselves. There are only a few managers that are actually helpful.

"Stay away from a joke of a company"

Former Employee - Location Manager II in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Location Manager II in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free car but it often comes with restrictions such as taking away the privelage of choosing a car that was agreed upon when you sign the paperwork. If they are running right on cars they will put you in unsafe cars that they won't rent to their customers.
    Free gas

Cons

Managers are restricted when dealing with employees. The older employees often get managers they don't like fired.

Upper management is only out for themselves and has no interest in helping you further your career

Often the goals are out of reach and not attainable and when you don't make them they make you work even more than the 60 hour weeks they already expect.

You will have no time for a life outside of work. Don't expect good days off for a long time
    They play favorites and do not treat everyone equal.

They have a bonus structure but good luck figuring it out. You are supposed to be paid within 6 weeks after a quarter but that rarely happens and when it does you have no idea how much it will be until it makes it to your bank account

The HR deptartment is there for only the employees as managers are never given the same protection. Recruting is like Jesus performing miracles, you are often very understaffed and have no one to cover departments.

Advice to Management

Take care of your managers as they are the face of your location. You enjoy the success off of their hard work while they are typically fired or they look for new work before they are fired

Showing 38 of 3,422 reviews