Hertz Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hertz President & CEO Kathryn V. Marinello
Kathryn V. Marinello

Pros
  • Great management, good benefits (in 105 reviews)

• Great shift and great people to work with (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • PLANNING : work/life balance quasi inexistant (in 174 reviews)

• Expect to work really long hours if you are in finance or accounting (in 482 reviews)

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Hertz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Car rental at a discount.

Cons

Pay and job responsibilities were not what was promised. Staff consistently talked back to managers while I was in training. Worked 50 hour work weeks for poor pay. Told would not have to clean cars but did have to daily.

Advice to Management

Learn how to properly manage. Management does little to correct the store issues.

"I wish I never applied"

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Denver, CO

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Decent car rental discount
    -Some downtime to do what you want
    -Some great customers
    -Can get out of the office a decent amount

Cons

-Garbage hours with garbage pay
    -Garbage benefits
    -Requires a degree to do a job a 16 year old could do
    -Very sales based which requires selling unnecessary extras to unwilling customers
    -Upper management has no idea what they are doing
    -Hertz refuses to adjust to market demand
    -Very money driven versus customer or product driven
    -You are a number and nothing more
    -Only focuses on you when you're performing poorly
    -Treats you like a irresponsible child
    -Turn over rate is extremely high
    -Only promotes based on sales
    I could continue on for days but I think I've made my point

Advice to Management

My immediate manager was a fantastic person who made the best out of a bad situation. However Hertz needs to learn that providing what customers want, versus what they think they want, are two totally separate things. Learn to value your employees, so your employees can value your customers. Instead of promoting based on sales, promote based on customer service performance and branch management. Many times I've seen employees be promoted for their sales, only to fail in their next position because they do not display any other talents. I'm not saying I want Hertz to fail, but i would not be at all surprised to see the company completely decline to nothing.

"Location Manager II"

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Drive brand new cars, Mercedes, Infiniti, whatever. Just don't get in an accident with one of the Prestige cars and you're good.

Cons

Pretty much your entire workday is a conference call to talk about how bad we're doing prior to last year and about 7 excel files you don't care about due by 9am

Advice to Management

I honestly am at a lack of words. We change presidents every year so which Management are we even talking about?

"Severely Under Paid"

Pros

Some good people to get to know while working here. Pretty young employees overall.

Cons

Severely underpaid for requiring a four year degree. Over worked and poor management

Advice to Management

Drop the degree requirement or raise the salary.

"Wrong company to work"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Drive any car in the lot

Cons

Bad upper mgmt. they don't have a long term vision. Priorities are changing every week . They manage by fear.

Advice to Management

New CEO should get rid of all RVP-Directors. Let branch managers do their job in the field. Stop changing priorities.

7. "Manager Trainee"

Current Employee - Manager Trainee
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*You definitely meet a lot of interesting people, both co workers and customers, which is good if you're a people person.

*Starting salary is a reasonable rate, with lots of opportunity for overtime.

*Health benefits and vacation/sick time are reasonable.

Cons

*Upper management has ridiculously unreasonable expectations for sales of a product no one really needs.

*Management doesn't care about customer satisfaction or any other aspect of the job; It's ALL about sales numbers.

*Promotion is based solely on sales numbers. You could have absolutely no other skills, and very low work ethic, but if you're "numbers" are high, get ready to be promoted quickly!

*As a woman, I've found that this company doesn't seem to take women as seriously as men, treat them with the same amount of respect, or offer the same opportunities for advancement as other companies, which is extremely disheartening.

*Long hours, working with little to no help, and very minimal training.

Advice to Management

Maybe if you focused more on vehicle quality and customer service, as opposed to pushing the protection packages, your employee retention rate would be higher, and you would have satisfied, repeat customers.

"Location Manager I"

Former Employee - Location Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Location Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

You get a company car to drive and free gas.

Cons

Sale Representatives rip off the customers through deceptive and predatory sales techniques, while Upper Managers look the other way. Training is very unorganized. Lower Managers are expected to work 15 hrs + days and come in on your off days. The company treat their employees like their rental vehicles , TURN AND BURN. They treat their customers even worst by: adding extra charges, insurance products etc.

Advice to Management

Find your moral compass. Stop treating your employees like rental vehicles. Be more customer focuses vs creating a culture for crooks.

"Management Training Program"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chamblee, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chamblee, GA

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-worker camaraderie, gained experience in business operations, supportive location manager, employee discount on rentals, busy atmosphere helps work day pass by quickly

Cons

Long Hours, little pay, lack of support from corporate, lack of resources to effectively compete duties, no lunch breaks, often worked weekends and holidays

"Manager Trainee"

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Magnolia, TX
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Magnolia, TX

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts on rentals and insurance for staffing.

Cons

The bonus structure is not equally divided because you can't determine what location you will be working. You are not a manager because you have little to no staff. You have to do everything by yourself including vacuuming, washing, and cleaning vehicles by hand.

Advice to Management

Get into the 21st century and hire staffing for management and cleaning vehicles.

"Please figure it out. If you want a job where your constantly doing things that don't make sense come here."

I have been working at Hertz full-time

Pros

I suppose if you're into renting cars at a discount, probably the best thing about it. Other than that not much. Benefits are OK, not bad, not great. Steady work for the most part, paid holidays. Nothing special in comparison to companies that take good care of their employee.

Cons

Lacking a sense of direction. The company is now on CEO number 4 in the last 5 years. Management doesn't supervise or enforce hourly union employees to follow policies and procedures. Corporate does not provide the necessary resources to do the job. On-site vendors not OSHA compliant (painting cars subjecting nearby employees to fumes). Constant turnover - Hertz is notorious for laying off staff every year to clean up their books come Q4. Use it or lose it vacation policy. Managers do whatever they want (include smoking in rental cars).

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics. Give the customers a good experience at a good price. Stop overselling fleet (you keep screwing this up every year - figure it out!) Treat the front line employees with respect and pay fair wages. Take a serious look at your culture with all the turnover you have. Why is that? Maybe if you took care of your employees they will take care of you. Stop buying companies and running them into the ground. You can't even run your own company correctly. Constant changes that don't make sense, then the following year we turn around and go back to the way we used to do things.

Showing 690 of 3,385 reviews