Hertz Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hertz President & CEO Kathryn V. Marinello
Kathryn V. Marinello

3,433 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • great people, great benefits, all working towards the same goal (in 107 reviews)

• Great management, good benefits (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance almost expected at smaller location (in 182 reviews)

• Expect to work really long hours if you are in finance or accounting (in 490 reviews)

"Stay Away!!!!"

Former Employee - Director, Contribution Management Strategy in Park Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Director, Contribution Management Strategy in Park Ridge, NJ

Pros

Under the new regime, there are no good reasons to work here.

Cons

Sr. leadership is very uncaring of employees. Massive layoffs.

Advice to Management

Remember the employees who built the company instead of throwing them out. You are being extrodinarily short sighted!

"If you just want to cash mediocre paychecks without doing any real work, Hertz is the place for you!"

Former Employee - Associate Manager (One of Many Made-Up Titles In A Bloated Management Structure) in Park Ridge, NJ

Pros

Work/Life. Most of the people that work there do so because they live close to the headquarters, and are working themselves into a nice little rut. They have no plans on leaving, ever. The company's official hours are 8:15-4:30, at which time, it's like a parade out the door. You will probably never work overtime.

Cons

Same as the best reasons. They don't hire go-getter Type-A's. Work is boring and mundane. Low morale across the board. The people who have been there for ever are very protective over their positions. The back-stabbing and undermining is ridiculous. You want to get promoted? Never challenge your boss, and do all of his/her 'dirty work'. That is, start fights with other departments, rat out dissenters, and then yell at them when your boss tells you to.

Advice to Management

It's 2008, not 1958. How about casual dress, flex hours, competitive salaries, work from home policies? A real holiday party (not a catered lunch in the building lobby with no booze)?

"Only as a last resort out of college"

Current Employee - Management Trainee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

If you are right out of college, and can't find your perfect job, this may be a good place to start. At the least, you'll have "Manager" on your resume when you leave, if you can stand to stay that long. You will be a trainee for about a year, then you will be promoted with better commission. The next promotion after that will have slightly better commission, but you'll still be making $12/hr IF you live in an expensive city. AVOID unless absolutely necessary.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, working Saturdays and holidays.

Advice to Management

Pay us more! We work 10 hours a day plus Saturdays in a shirt and tie. Most of us do a good job, but you'd rather hang yourself than give someone a raise.

"Washing cars in suits and ties"

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Okay money if make it to Assistant Branch Manager, also get to drive different cars all of the time. You get to interact with some customers who are nice and appreciate your services.

Cons

Long hours, non ethical sales behavior, too much pressure to sell, dress code, washing cars all day long, not enough employees. Most of the customers are so completely rude and unappreciative. You get verbally abused all day long most of the time from people who are having a bad day and take it out on you because they feel that they are better than you because you are working at Hertz Rental Car. I felt like a trashy used car salesman most of the time and didn't like to look at myself in the mirror.

Advice to Management

More morale boosting, hire more employees for better salaries, don't have to rely on sales as much.

"Impossible Expectations, Harsh Working Conditions, and Horrible Customers"

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great pay for Assistant and Branch Managers, also a company car and free gas if you make it to a Branch Manager Position.

Cons

Emotionally detached upper management, long hours (60+ a week). Constantly being verbally and emotionally abused by some of the rudest customers I've ever come across. I've had to wash cars in an extremely hot public garage, in the required dress code of a business suit, sometimes alone before 6 am when there were homeless people present.(I'm female) Not enough fleet to meet reservation demands. I was constantly pressured to "hard sell" by upper management, and constantly had my job threatened if I did not meet their expectations, I even had one Branch Manager tell me, "In order to meet your goals, and sell to every customer, you have to do some shady things." And also being made to feel like I was worthless scum, both by snotty, narcissistic customers, body shop and dealership employees, and Branch and City Managers on a power trip. I'm usually a very upbeat and optimistic person, but after I got myself financially invested with a new car and a home while working at Hertz, I'd never been more unhappy. I'd have to say the three years while working there were the worst and most emotionally draining in my life. Also, forget about a life outside of work. Living in a new city and just out of college, I had absolutely no time to make friends, and even if I had, I was so exhausted and emotionally drained at the end of each day, I wouldn't have been a pleasure to be around anyway.

Advice to Management

Why don't you come to an actual branch and work with the "little people" and take some of that verbal ferocity from your "beloved" customers for a few days? Or why don't you just quit. I actually hope Hertz goes in the same direction as Sharper Image, Linens & Things, and Circuit City.

"Hertz. We're here now, but where are we going?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park Ridge, NJ

Pros

Starting salary was great, company car, and initially a great management staff. Note I said initially.

Cons

Always looming lay-offs. No communication on any initiatives. Wavering directions from upper management. I was constantly hearing rumors of lay-offs from my first days there and after a while you can't concentrate on anything but figuring out when you were going to get the axe. There was always the potential to fix things, but people are always afraid to pull the trigger on an idea in fear of job loss.

Advice to Management

Current senior level management is ruining what was once a great brand. Hertz has always had the reputation as a rental car company that provided high equipment levels, low miles, and a clean car. Now their direction and product to the consumer is solely dictated by a false bottom line, left pocket - right pocket accounting structure. Customer service will suffer because of the age/miles of the fleet and less than adequate location staffing. Beware, when the rental car musical chairs game stops, you might be left without a seat.

"HERTZ AS A CAREER? NOT EXACLTY!!"

Former Employee - Area Distribution Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Area Distribution Manager in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Health, Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits, car priveledges, bonuses, free gas

Cons

Numerous. Getting treated like an idiot your entire shift. Coming up with and implementing cost saving measures that someone else takes the credit for. Just truly being made feel absolutely worthless. Getting let go after 17 years of very hard work without any notice, that was the hardest. It's really hard after being let go, to look back on the people that were kept!!!

Advice to Management

To take a minute and really listen to what your employees are telling you, and to treat employees like humans. Get out "of the box".

9. "If you just need a job, but no career goals, Hertz is the place for you."

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Park Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Park Ridge, NJ

Pros

Leaving at 4:30PM, nothing else I can think of.

Cons

Don't allow emplyee to work remote. We were even told once to use our personal days or take day off if we can't come to owrk due to snow. Health benefits not good. Wosrst cafe, no kitchen in the building. So emplyees are stuck with cafe food or drive during lunch. Too many made up jon title(Associate Manager, almost eveone is).

Advice to Management

Management don't care who is getting job done. Wrong people in wrong places. Start evaluating your employees. Start giving reviews in a timeply manner.

10. "Largest rental car company in the world. Yet..."

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Hertz is the number one rental car company in the world. Everyone knows about them. Hertz has the largest collection of cars that updates frequently. Hertz has everything from budget economy cars to large SUVs and convertible sports cars. All cars Hertz has are available to drive and clean. Despite how some people who posted Hertz employment reviews elsewhere; I enjoy cleaning cars, even while wearing a suit and tie. You get to work with a very diverse group of co-workers and customers. And if you keep your sales numbers on the high side, you are promised promotions and commissions.

Cons

All Hertz jobs focuses on selling and marketing of optional services: loss damage waivers, gas, upgrades, lower class cars, etc. It seems like that in order to be successful within Hertz, you must sell these thing consistently. And you are trained to 'sell' anything, even to downright lie to customers if they don't get what they wanted or reserved. Hours are always long, from before 7 am to after store closing at 6 pm, but do get paid overtime. Customers are expectant of high praise and customer service from the world's largest rental car company and it pains some that we could not deliver sometimes.

Advice to Management

Try and not make the Manager Trainee position successful by looking at sales numbers solely.

11. "Not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Benefits are OK
    Met some good coworkers

Cons

Horrible senior management
    Terrible pay
    Bad morale
    Almost everybody I worked with were either fired or quit
    Having to fight with Insurance companies

Advice to Management

I would advise better pay, more support from management, better working conditions,

Showing 3,433 of 3,484 reviews