Hertz Reviews | Glassdoor

3,488 reviews

Full-time Part-time

3,488 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work/life balance almost expected at smaller location (in 184 reviews)

• Expect to work really long hours if you are in finance or accounting (in 499 reviews)

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Brand Manager in Bonita Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Brand Manager in Bonita Springs, FL

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great brand new corporate headquarters building - parking, onsite gym, cafeteria, day care center, etc. Open office environment. There were quite a few intelligent people.

Cons

No company leadership, constant politics, overall terribly run. Employee morale was in the dumps from the beginning, then things just kept getting worse. No strategy, constant change and none of it based in strategy. Basically everyone is chasing their tales with no vision or commitment to the future, or their employees.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees - lead by example, and be honest.

"The operations is ran horrible with underqualified individuals with degrees."

Former Employee - Management Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Management Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits...definitely well needed after the humiliation of managers and customers.

Cons

Poor management, poor training and a lot of inconsistency. Hertz incorporates a lot of very young employees that have no field training or life experiences. Hard to present ideas!

Advice to Management

Hire based on individual experience verses who an individual knows already in the company. This behavior warrants negative energy and underperformance.

"Location Manager"

Former Employee - Location Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Location Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great perks! Unlimited use of a car, fuel, insurance etc

Cons

Low pay. Low bonuses

Advice to Management

Reward you employees better with either raises and/or bonuses

"Demeaning and disingenuous company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Car rental discount, as an employee you can use a debit card to rent under a gold account, and coworkers on the lower levels are hardworking good people who really do give all they can until they just putter out

Cons

This company is so demeaning to its employees! The supes, managers, and higher-ups write glorious reviews on how all you need to succeed is a "can-do attitude", a hard-work ethic, flexibility, great customer service, and willingness to learn and grow (easy to say when you sit in an office and don't actually have to face the customers you screw over). What a crock! I know hard-working employees who bust their butts every single day to keep this company afloat and they never hear anything, but the minute they make a mistake (even if it's not entirely their fault), they'll hear about it first thing and be threatened with warnings. So yes, you can work hard and you'll do just fine if you can manage to scrape by, but that hard work doesn't go far when you have little to no support from your OWN COMPANY! But you'll never see an actual higher-up taking their share of any blame. They seem to sit in an office and make rules that only hurt the lower level employees thinking that will fix their mistakes when the problem is not with the people doing the physical labor. They cut corners where they can, and if that includes cutting something from you, so be it.

If we ever have problems with angry customers, we can't find anybody to help. It will quickly frustrate even the most professional, polished employee. Customers rightly expect us to have some form of control and professionalism but we have very little because of the lack of support and training, which makes the customers even angrier at us.

You don't have much time for breaks so if you have an illness or some reason that you need to use the bathroom or take a couple of mini-breaks for relief, I suggest bringing formal paperwork for them. Yes, they asked us if we had an illness that caused us to use the bathroom more than twice per 8 hours that we contact them to disclose that information. I am not lying.

In the interview, they'll skim past overtime as if it might be a rare occurrence but don't be fooled it will be always and forever. ASK THEM in the interview how much OT the department/position you're applying for is currently working, and how often they usually work it. If the interviewer is truthful with you, they'll tell you there might be one-two times per year where it's slow and you will only have to work your regular hours (lucky you, eh?). The people on the ladder to the top blame it on employee's work performance when its really because they can't keep new hires due to constant overtime and mediocre pay (plus a plethora of other communication and ego problems) so it's like a vicious cycle that doesn't seem to be sorting itself out.

Basically don't take this job if you've got a family or kids. You'll have zero time with your loved ones. It's great if you're young with no strings attached, like hard work and long hours, don't mind handling ANGRY customers (and you WILL get them every single day with how Hertz is handling operations), and want the experience in the vehicle/travel industry. Oh, and you must be able to take initiative and do whatever needs to be done under your own accord while still having a heart of stone so you don't break down in tears in front of people, because good luck finding anybody to help you.

Advice to Management

Don't demean your current and former employees to make the short-comings in the company seem not corporate's fault to quite an extent. Too often I see these silly reviews that read like passive pep talks from corporate that serve to diminish our very real concerns. Your "big guys" talk about hard work or bust, reminding us how if we JUST HAVE the good attitude and hard-work ethic we can do anything and will have no reason to complain and every means to advance, as if the reason so many leave or can't succeed in the company is because they just couldn't hack it or weren't good enough when you KNOW well over half of those that leave do so because they're not getting what they need from their own company and have to work so much for very little, or don't see a future in what they do at all. I was once that positive, hard-working person you hired, you know. But you're sucking it out of me quickly.

I want more employees and for our company to mend, don't get me wrong, but I need to be frank which I can't do unless anonymously. I don't want people reading these to take the job thinking they're getting one thing then just end up leaving because that wastes company resources, precious time and money, and leaves us in a worse position than we were before. Get real with yourselves if you want the company to repair. Stop idealizing yourselves while blaming the people actually handling the customers you brought them. Somewhere down the line someone in corporate is dropping the ball. Figure it out because it's not the people taking the calls and cleaning the cars - we can't even keep a permanent CEO, so obviously it's not us lower guys. You promise change so let's hope it does come, but don't be so demeaning to your good people by passive-aggressively telling them they're basically just not working hard enough or don't have a "good enough attitude" so basically they just have to suck up the constant OT. Don't blame them for having to work 60 hours, missing time with their families due to them not being able to wait for scheduled breaks to use the bathroom. That's ridiculous and they see through that so that just won't do if you want to keep good employees. People are obviously going to leave, and you can say all you like about how great the opportunities are if you just work hard enough, but what do the good employees get when they save a stranded customer, for example? There are no bonuses or even pats on the back for that, but if we push insurance on some poor old lady who doesn't know what it is and doesn't need it, we get to keep our jobs and maybe get bonuses as well? Backwards! Employees quickly find out right after being hired that busting their butts and putting in too many hours of sweat and tears for no thanks and little incentive really isn't worth it. That's why they leave.

You are getting new systems and reworking the infrastructure, you say... which we in the res centers are waiting until 2018 to see what that will actually end up looking like. Sounds great, but what are you ACTUALLY going to implement for us? As employees, we don't even know. You just SAY it's getting better and that's an example of the lack of communication you have with us. By the way, it'd help if our guys on the front lines didn't think we were just lazily booking cars they didn't have for the hell of it. We see full availability when there is none so why should we have to call the locations to make doubly sure a car is there before a customer goes to pick it up?! They're blaming us, we're blaming them... this is so out of hand.

Advice, if you'll listen? Stop blaming it all on us. We need help from you. We feel we're swimming alone out here, and that's why we leave. Your supervisors/managers are sitting around hiding behind computer screens working on publicity to pull in new employees who won't stay, much like you pull in new customers who won't stay because your quality is spiraling downhill. Instead of blaming employees who are doing the best with what they've got and the little to no outreach you give them, look at yourselves because other companies don't have this problem but they have the same kind of employees. You're one of the top worst companies to work for and the more you blame the very folks you work so hard to hire, the less people will apply for your jobs. Just think about that.

"Assistant Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, decent sales and management experience. Hertz gives you a chance to move up within the company.

Cons

Work life balance can be poor due to lack of staff.

6. "Counter sales rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Hertz part-time

Pros

Work Environment, No micromanaging, Very laid back job, Easy job

Cons

Very low pay, if the flights were delayed, so were you. There were times that i could not leave work until 4am. You have to stay an hour past the last flight arrival.

"csr"

Current Employee - CSS in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - CSS in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hertz (More than a year)

Pros

they pay on time and what they owe you

Cons

Mandatory overtime, I slept at the airport. sucked

Advice to Management

maybe jump in and help and not be concerned as much about what car your going to drive home

"Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The money is good, but only because you work so much that you don't have time to spend it.

Cons

Hours vs pay ratio is terrible. Multiple times I watched employees complain to high up management and every single time we were ignored. They have no appreciation for the employees hard work. Very little to nothing is done to boost employee moral. Also, if you are interviewing and they tell you that its not a sales job or you don't have to clean cars DO NOT believe them. It is a sales position and you absolutely have to clean the cars. ( -30degrees or 130 degrees). Lying to people during an interview is not a good way to start a business partnership. Being listed on the top worst companies to work for was no mistake.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Appreciate them. Don't lie (people see right through it).

"Back Office Clerk"

Current Employee - Back Office in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Back Office in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not that many. Reduced rent on cars that you can't afford?

Cons

The company allows incompetence to flourish. Bad attitudes face little to no ramifications. The same is true for bad work. Those who are hard workers are perpetually treated poorly. The benefits package is good, but the pay is so poor that you can't afford it.

Advice to Management

Quit accepting incompetence. It's killing your company.

"Customer service /managment"

Current Employee - Customer Representative in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Representative in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is definitely room to grow. Especially at the hertz local edition. The hertz local edition ensures you trained and are extremely knowledgable.

Cons

Management at the airport is inconsistent and does not have the same consistency with information and supportive training techniques.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate with staff consistently. Have management train with HLE managers.

Showing 3,488 of 3,541 reviews