Hertz Reviews in Uxbridge, England | Glassdoor

Hertz President & CEO Kathryn V. Marinello
Kathryn V. Marinello

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work/life balance almost expected at smaller location (in 194 reviews)

• Expect to work really long hours if you are in finance or accounting (in 514 reviews)

1. "Decent company to work for"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I worked at Hertz as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is incredibly friendly and supportive of one another.
    The heirarchy system is fairly relaxed with regular large meetings and presentations for teams/departments.

Cons

IT department is pretty disorganised, with issues taking a long time to be dealt with (heard a new employee didn't get their company email for 3 months!). Lacking funding so seems not to be much room for big new projects.

Advice to Management

No advice really, maybe review people more closely, some people didn't seem to know how to do their jobs and I'd have to talk them through processes (coming from an intern!)

"Hertz UK"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great brand. Loyal and understanding customers.

Cons

Hertz Intl Board had no appreciation of the current status of the rental market in the corporate world. Zero investment in technology. Poor climate with its people. No respect or appreciation for the people in the branches who are stretched unhealthily low number per branch.

Advice to Management

Talk to your people. Folliw and continue with a strategy. Don't think there is one silver bullet that will solve everything

"Overall experience was mixed. Good staff. IT can be a hinderance."

Former Employee - Analyst in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to be part of a Global Brand, exposure to many different areas of business. People work hard and work together for the most part.

Cons

IT is dated. General business strategy seems to be very reactive, not forward looking. Lots of managers - not always sure who does what.

"Hertz Talk the Talk but do they Walk the Walk"

Former Employee - Manager IT Support in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager IT Support in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dynamic, international corporation. Ability to establish friendships and bonds with co-workers across different continents.

Cons

Extremely poor leadership examples set by the very top position and his senior management team. Corrupt practices seen as the established path to follow with very little regard to the consequences that may apply to the general workforce. Hertz certainly do not Walk the Walk.

Advice to Management

,Get back to basics, be more ethical. Review and cease the constant flow of cost cutting "initiatives" that have demoralised the workforce. Take a walk in the shoes of your employees who work on the shopfloor. Have more respect and consideration to both your customers and employees with regard to the age and condition of the Hertz Car Rental Fleet.

"Hertz employees are asked to enter excellent reviews! It's all lies. Please block this fraudulent behaviour Glassdoor."

Current Employee - Manager in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. Isn't it obvious that the good reviews coming in concentrated batches look obviously fake? The same happened a while back, when directors and above were told to enter reviews.

Cons

Leadership is weak, dishonest and highly political. The company is totally focused on cost cutting at ALL costs. Management are recruited because they are cheap 'yes-men' and not because they have any relevant skills and challenge the status quo. Often this is internal promotion, because who wants external candidates with opinions and ideas - right?
    Pay is poor, and they want to pay less. Performance management is a non-existent joke. The staff satisfaction survey ('Pulse') is even funnier. Frissora is obsessed with the market perception of Hertz, including sites like this.

Advice to Management

Rediscover your humanity, ethics and backbone or resign. Stop bowing to Frissora's ego and trying to build his bank balance - we are all losing because of this.

"One to remember"

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

(Specifically to Hertz Europe Ltd)
    The workplace is normally quite relaxed and informal and the diverse backgrounds and different nationalities of the workforce contribute towards an even more positive environment.

I have had the pleasure of working with highly-skilled and knowledgeable people, who have been at Hertz for over 20 years and are an invaluable asset for the business, as well as a precious source of information and help for the younger and less experienced team members.

In my opinion the awareness of the importance of working for a global leader in the sector has a positive effect on employees’ performance. If you engage with the business concept and fully appreciate what it takes to become, and maintain such a prestigious position in a very competitive market, you will then strive for excellence in your role, you will enjoy even more and perhaps lay the foundation for what could be a brilliant and fulfilling career in the organisation.

We should also recognise and appreciate that Hertz have been able to absorb relatively well the external shocks associated with the recession, thus avoiding the need for restructuring or downsizing.

On the whole, a job at Hertz certainly is a valuable working experience at any level and it might well be a job for life to some and/or the start of a brilliant career for others (not all!)

Cons

Goes without saying that large organisations result in heavy bureaucracy that can slow down the decision making process. Hertz might appear to have bureaucracy in place that lacks in internal transparency and fairness, but it can't be assumed to be bad, only because it is a large organisation. In my opinion, it would benefit from more agility and responsiveness.

Office politics” can be part of a regular part of the day-to-day culture of any business, Hertz is no exception. When used to gain advantage at the expense of others or the wellbeing of the organization, office politics should be avoided (HR should have a more clear and assertive role when this happens!)

Personal suggestion: don't ever engage in any destructive gossip or childish bad-mouthing (remember “what goes around comes around”). Also; should you really share ALL your personal information with your co-workers? Be smart, some of them could be distorted and used against you….

A more effective and responsive IT department (not to mention the equipment) would help speed up some of the daily tasks.

Advice to Management

The overall knowledge and professionalism is remarkably high. However, there are many executives who make excellent No. 2s and act as a fine complement to their CEOs but somehow fail when they move into the corner office.

Management should be more regularly interacting with employees talking to them to understand the problems they are facing and giving them the additional resources they may need to discharge their responsibilities efficiently.

Important factor that should be considered and reviewed: benefits and compensation (e.g. competitiveness with respect to comparable companies), personal grow opportunities, training (update current programme and tools), performance evaluation and appraisal process (to be made more streamlined, achievable and realistic), work/life balance (totally unbalanced!).

Better promotion policies should be in place to ensure that the right people are promoted at the right time, and to identify potential candidates for development.

"Mixed Experiences"

Former Employee - Director in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Director in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Brand
    Some great People
    You'll never run out of work

Cons

Short term Tactical versus the long term visioning
    It's who you know that counts; plenty of self serving senior management
    Politics a plenty

Advice to Management

Walk the talk in terms of people. At senior levels, policing the Values is clearly needed. The Mission Vision and Values are great but all too often are paid lip service.

8. "Progressive mobility solution provider who listens and acts upon customer needs"

Current Employee - Director in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Progressive - never afraid to change
    * Open minded - no idea is a bad idea, infact we reward people for succesful new ideas
    * Great people - to deliver change and great customer experiences, you need great people. That's what we've got!

Cons

* We like change a bit too much!
    * Remember - we rent cars - it's not rocket science - sometimes we can "over engineer" processes in the pursuit of perfection - let's keep it simple
    * Company car scheme - being "asset light" does not always mean "employer of choice"

Advice to Management

* Keep listening and acting upon customer and employee feedback
    * Stop restructuring and let the business focus on deliverying a great service to customers
    * Take a longer view on decisions

9. "My job is different every single day - and like any great relationship it gets better over time!"

Current Employee - Director in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I have been working at Hertz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The brand, the people: great minds, great ideas across all continents; fantastic access to a host of resources

Cons

as in any large company: daily lessons in diplomacy and politics - which is not such a bad thing

Advice to Management

It is interesting how enterpreneurial one is encouraged to be - sink or swim?

10. "Hertz has given me great career opportunities"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for Hertz for a few years and have been able to move into new roles every 1-2 years. This has been great for my career, and shows that it is a company that looks to internal talent, and gives opportunities to take on additional responsibilities following success in previous roles. The environment is high pressure and very results driven, but its a high performance business that recognises the work of its employees

Cons

The most difficult thing at Hertz is that we are in a business that is affected greatly by the current tough trading environment, and we operate in a business segment which is very commoditised and in many ways driven purely by price. As the market leader we want to differentiate ourselves more, and we are striving to do that

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. There are many great opportunities for our business, lets make sure we are structured to succeed in all of these

Showing 13 of 3,689 reviews