Heska Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Heska Chairman and CEO Robert B. Grieve
Robert B. Grieve

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Shamefully under paid but good benefits."

Current Employee - Production in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Production in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Heska full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best benefits in town. It’s not a far drive and the work hours are not bad. You will get off in time to still enjoy your day.

Cons

Lowest paying production job you’ll find in Des Moines Iowa. But on top of that you will get penalized for trying to move to a different job. A lot of favoritism, it’s a who you know atmosphere. From what HR has stated It will take 20 or 30 years in order to reach top pay which is only $35,000 to$45,000 annually.

Advice to Management

Get more money for your workers and their morel will improve along with their performance and attitudes. You won’t get much for just an extra 20 cent per year and that’s a maybe!!

"Think Twice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO

I worked at Heska full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can bring your dog into work in some cases every day or on Fridays. The company does have good perks as far as health coverage and if you're there long enough the vacation ramps up nicely.

Cons

Depending on what department you're in there is quite a bit of micromanaging and the company culture changed with the new CEO. Management does like to keep tabs of what you're up to on LinkedIn so don't link up with management. The company doesn't necessarily value on going education. The moves made are more often laterally than upward.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep your employees then talk to them about what their ambitions are and not be content to see your best employees go out the door. If that employee sees their career going in a different direction or into a different department, see how Heska can keep them versus seeing it they eventually won't be of help to your particular department and therefore they need to be pushed out. HR needs to listen to the employees when they have their exit interviews versus coming across as I didn't know you were upset why wasn't anything ever said. If management wants to keep their best employees they need to make the effort to do so and that disconnect between the employees, upper management, and HR needs to be squashed!!

"Former Employees Have It Right"

Pros

The benefits are very good, including being able to bring your dog to work. However, like everything else at Heska, some dogs are allowed to get away with a lot because of who their owners are.

Cons

I agree with everything that the other former employees have to say. Salaries are not competitive, raises are insulting and the "science" is that good anymore. I can't stand behind the products. Favoritism is rampant. Incompetent favorites are retained and even allowed to head up projects that they are not equipped to carry out.

Advice to Management

Get a competent management team. Stop spouting off about the great Heska culture. It doesn't exist unless you are one of the favorites. Reward the hard working employees that carry the company.

"Floundering Company with declining value"

I worked at Heska full-time

Pros

Small company environment
    Not much else

Cons

Mediocre salary at best
    High turnover

Advice to Management

Sell the company to a competitor

"Country Bumpkins in charge. Scientists make business decisions. That don't work."

Former Employee - Production in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Production in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Heska full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay. Good benefits. You can work there forever if you keep your eyes closed.
    Another reviewer mentioned the Pathways program. I agree that as a program it had potential. The most remarkable outcome of it was that each session devolved into a b!tch session about Heska management and their incompetence and unwillingness to actually listen to and involve employees. What did management do about this feedback? Not a word. No response. No action. No improvement. Probably because the managers said "aahh, what do they know anyway? I have the education. They are just blue collar grunts. Why don't they just do their job and be happy they have a job at all?"

Cons

Poor management and atmosphere. Management-employee relations sucks. A good ole boy network of managers that fosters incompetence and cronyism.

Advice to Management

Value employees. They know more about their job than you do. Don't make critical decisions about their job in a closed-door meeting without consulting them.

"Impressive science, lousy business people."

Former Employee - Account Representative in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Loveland, CO

Pros

Undoubtedly, during my time working at this company most of all employee survey's resulted in that we all believe in the mission and values of the company. (to better the lives of companion animals through innovative veterinary science.) As a result, of having this common thread I made friends at work.

At one point, back in 2003, the company invested considerable amount of money in Pathways to Leadership. A life-skills intensive training designed to teach skills to communicate more effectively, be more organized, deal with confrontation, and how to accomplish more at work and at home. Each employee went through the training within small group sessions. As a result, the training "brought down walls" between departments and for a while moral was better. Some people wholeheartedly tried to apply what they learned which made a difference in being able to find solutions to issues between departments. This lead to more understanding of processes, and overall a happier, lighter working environment.

I also felt like when I made an honest mistake, I was given a chance to try again without being ridiculed. This is something that I can only appreciate now as I reflect back on my experience.
    In time, I was able to build my confidence in my role there and this has been a quality that I will always have with me now. How great !!

Heska also had super group health care benefits. No one can argue what an incredible perk having just a $20 co-pay is......

Also, the company didn't skimp on office furnishings. We always had comfortable chairs, nice cubicles, clean, & warm or cool facility to work in (depending on the season), kitchen/break areas, small exercise room..... the things that make the place where one spends 8-10 hours a day the most comfortable as possible. When I needed office supplies, materials to do my work it wasn't questioned, I got what I needed.

In addition, at the time I worked there we could bring our dogs to work with us provided we followed the guidelines.

Cons

During my employment at Heska, in essentially the same department, I survived 6 different managers. I will provide examples, but I can summarize my experience with Heska management in one word : weak.

What do I mean by weak ? Weak means uneducated about the products and services. Ex: The most recent supervisor I had, after they were in the position for a year, did not know where one of our main products was produced. I was really embarrassed for this person.
    Weak means the inability for a manager to take a stand on an idea or observation they think would better the company for fear of rocking the "good old boys club." Same mistakes are made over and over again.
    Weak means the complete lack of any capacity to not only acknowledge, but foster team members initiatives to help grow business ..... because manager feels... threatened ??? I would think it would make a manager look good to have success stories within their team. (I never was able to understand, I tried throughout several meetings with HR to resolve issues. I received input but no resolutions, no follow up.)
    Weak also means a general sense of unprofessional management. Ex. 1: annual reviews were late, incomplete, and sloppy. Ex. 2: manager showed up continuously late for department meetings they themselves scheduled.
    Finally, weak means lack of planning. No overall plan for department, direction of where to focus energy to generate profit. Mostly, our department ran like "flavor of the day."

The Pathways to Leadership was a great idea and I think the program has potential to enable a company go from good to great. It was unfortunate that it was not supported and enforced by upper management. After the honeymoon of learning new skills was over, the practice of it for the most part went by the wayside.

Because the management was so weak I think this made employee relationships amongst each other stronger. (unfortunately an "us against them" mentality.)

My overall impression having worked at Heska : This is a good company to gain some work experience but not the place to grow your career.

Advice to Management

Establish accountability for all management. Hire a consultant, someone who is neutral to the company & establish some criteria for when hiring management - no lip service, just use some standards. Have mandatory, ongoing management trainings, optional doesn't work.

"Stay Away, culture has changed."

Pros

Heska has great benefits and good products. They have strong R&D and stand behind their products, that's why I stay.

Cons

Heska keeps letting go of good people. Every year it seems they place blame on good VP's or Senior Managers as to why the company is not growing at the rate they would like. Current Executives walk around like their the only important ones in the company. Internal culture has gone down hill since they let their former VP of HR go a few years back. I used the love this company, now I can't stand going to work. They have some major improvements to make, people keep quitting, and their new senior leaders seem self-absorbed and unappreciative of developing their employees.

Advice to Management

Value your employees, ask for their advice, make employee meetings worth going to.

"Very Hierarchical"

Pros

The employees are great. You can bring your pets to work. You work in an industry that makes a difference.

Cons

Management has a master-slave mentality. Executives are very clique-ish. Continue to make the same mistakes over and over. The company doesn't have a lot of there, there any more. Very frustrating place to work.

Advice to Management

Seek the advice of employees in the organization. Bring back the suggestion box. Nurture your strongest employees to ensure they stay.