Heska Reviews | Glassdoor

Heska Chairman and CEO Robert B. Grieve
Robert B. Grieve

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Love this company!"

Pros

This company has proven that hard work is rewarded with promotion. Great company culture, excellent benefits, have and will continue to recommend Heska to my friends in search of employment.

Cons

There is some negativity around the massive changes that have occurred over the past couple of years. Certain departments can be "gossipy" and the negativity can breed. However, I'm not sure there is a workplace without this kind of atmosphere to some extent.

2. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

Pros

active with employees and their needs

Cons

Look closer at individuals for their talents

Advice to Management

Take time to get the right answers

"Overall, a great company to work for."

I worked at Heska full-time

Pros

Very progressive environment. If ideas are communicated properly, they are taken seriously by management, and implemented in an inclusive fashion. The company is pet friendly, and department heads have an open door policy (for the most part). Heska provides quality benefits; top tier health insurance, matched 401K, and stock options.

Cons

There is some interdepartmental animosity, but this is not unique to Heska! Overall communication can be improved. Salaries are below industry standards; however, the work atmosphere and the benefits far outweigh these issues. May need more middle management opportunities.

Advice to Management

Communicate more effectively, delegate more efficiently, and carry on!

"Company values people, works to be best solution for veterinarians, and promotes from within"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Heska full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A company founded on the highest principles for animal healthcare, and expectations of personal accountability. Many perks are provided, including very appealing benefits (company absorbs majority of all costs) bringing our pets to work, recognition of employee birthdays and anniversaries, cookouts, and employee recognition programs like the "purple rocket" award, and "tokens of gratitude" where employees can appreciate each other, nominate outstanding contributors, and the company then rewards with monetary and tangible gifts.

Heska holds quarterly company meetings to go over earnings, inform us about what is going on with results and new initiatives, and answer questions openly. There are no closed doors, or hidden agendas here. The company recognizes employment anniversaries at company meetings, gives out gift certificates, and rewards milestones with more vacation time. At a recently held meeting, many 10, 15, and 20 year awards were handed out. It's pretty rare to see that type of loyalty and longevity these days.

I've had the benefit of experience, and having worked for other companies who could not hope to be as people-centric and caring as this company. I feel so lucky to know now that a company like this still exists. I am one of many lucky folks to have been promoted from within this organization. I demonstrated skills, an opening became available, and management approached me for the new opportunity. Many of my colleagues have enjoyed the same experience.

Cons

I've read the other reviews. Considering the company employs over 300 people world-wide, a hand-full of unhappy people are expected. Sometimes the shoe just does not fit, no matter how much you try to force it. Personal accountability is expected. If that is not your strength, than this is not the company for you. There is no such thing as a perfect company. Is there room to improve? Absolutely -- for the company, as well as each individual contributor. For those who will not believe or trust this review -- you're not the right fit for this outstanding organization. It's just like most industries -- you hear the negative -- few people take the time to write the positive experiences. That just changed with this review.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees, and support best practices. Thank you for always trying to include us, support us, and make our working environment as comfortable and appealing as possible.

5. "Heska Truly Cares"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Heska full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Heska holds strong to its promise of making a difference in companion animal health and working to build relationships and earn trust by delivering the utmost in support with integrity and professionalism.

Heska cares about employees and takes the time to recognize birthdays, annivesaries and years of service on a personal level.

Heska provides great benefits such as generous healthcare and dental plans, 401(k) with matching, generous vacation/sick policy.

Heska recognizes employees through exciting recognition programs - employee of the quarter and a program where peers say "thanks" with a comment and token that is rewarded with a $10 gift certificate.

Heska encourages employees to stay healthy through an $250 reimbursement for gym membership, etc.

We are like family - many of us have been here for 10-plus years.

My boss is fantastic and treats me like a person. He also takes the time to help guide and develop my career.

I don't feel like I work for the same company that others describe - Heska truly cares.

Cons

There are some cases where communication can improve across the organization,but isn't that every company?

Advice to Management

Communicate more and keep treating us the way you do! Thanks!

6. "Lots of Changes, but all good"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Loveland, CO

Pros

Good benefits, decent managers, good HR dept. great work environment, good location

Cons

change is sometimes not well thought out, managers are a bit closed minded, my dept has high turn over so constantly training new people

Advice to Management

Ask your employees what they think

7. "With a little work it would be great."

I have been working at Heska full-time

Pros

Great culture and good benefits.

Cons

Communication is lacking between management and teams, making jobs more difficult than they need to be.

Advice to Management

Communication communication communication.

8. "Family Oriented"

I have been working at Heska full-time

Pros

Family-oriented, excellent coworkers, flexible hours, excellent benefits and vacation.

Cons

HR, low pay, favoritism,

Advice to Management

Set a better example for your employees. Practice what you preach.

9. "Inside Sales Account Manager"

I have been working at Heska full-time

Pros

Benefits are amazing, local, no travel, great comp plan

Cons

There are a lot of women in the department

"Excellent company to work for the years I can speak of!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO

Pros

Now that I have left the company and search for new employment opportunities, it is clear what amazing benefits were offered to me. The insurance plans were excellent, as well as sick time, vacation time (however not able to rollover, which I think makes sense anyhow). An awesome dog friendly environment (NOT to be taken for granted!)

Cons

An excellent company to work for, one in which you felt like you were valued as a person, until a corporate merger and new President took over two years ago and the bottom dollar seemed to be all that mattered. Sure, the stocks are doing better, but have to question current employee morale. Interesting as I noticed today as I drove by the building the parking lot was not plowed from last nights snow! Let my people walk through the snow! (kidding) I also always felt there were a great deal of double standards provided to upper management and not the same to those who reported to them. Note, most of my years there were spent under the previous President and CEO, Bob Grieve and those were the years that were spent feeling I was of value as an employee and as a person. He cared about his people.