Hess Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hess Corporation Chairman and CEO John B. Hess
John B. Hess

Pros
Cons
  • There's an issue with work life balance, just like most places (in 9 reviews)

• They need to do a better job of vetting the people they put in upper management positions because excrement rolls downhill (in 7 reviews)

1. "Questionable hiring practices. Not "technically" a CRA violation."

Former Contractor - Security Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - Security Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Hess Corporation as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Subsidized cafeteria food and starbucks
    Willing to pay top dollar for the right talent

Cons

A requested one of their consulting partners only hire certain 'types' of staff members and made very questionable hiring decisions based on first and last name appearances on CV's. I sub-contracted under that partner and witnessed those practices that this client doesn't want surfaced. Instead of stopping that type of activity, the partner decided to adhere to the request but elected to hire U.S. citizens only and also requested every consultant get security clearance.

Highly questionable hiring practices. They will get rid of anyone who they think is a skills threat to their current FTE staff.

Advice to Management

Clean house and stop relying on consultants that should really be staff.

2. "Wellsite Supervisor"

I worked at Hess Corporation full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits for employees

Cons

Management of careers of employees nonexistent

3. "Great Company"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Hess Corporation as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, superior building and location

Cons

Industry woes are causing changes in culture

Advice to Management

Focus on "growing your own timber" and people development more

5. "Poor Management skills"

Pros

Customers and most co-workers were great. Customers always new how to put a smile on your face. Liked working with most of the employees, and had a good time.

Cons

The manager was a two faced slimy person. She makes life hell for those she uses and than tosses to the side. I don't know how any one can work for her.

Advice to Management

Get a manager in there that can be straight up and not a user.

"Keep all your options open..."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Hess Corporation as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was excellent, cafeteria was nice, building was great, location fantastic.

Cons

IF you are offered a choice between getting sent to a North Korean Labor Camp, and working at Hess, think long and hard about your choice. I'm not saying you NECESSAIRLY want to go with Labor Camp route... I'm just saying you may want to keep all your options open.

The atmosphere at Hess was undoubtedly the most toxic and fearful I have ever experienced. The upper management seems to have learned their management style from Josef Stalin. Step out of line, even inadvertently, and you get fired, immediately. You come in each morning and see someone's cubicle is now empty, and you don't talk about it. People were constantly being fired without any discernible reason, and with no investigation or chance to explain or defend themselves. The management would talk a good game to us, then tell us "If you don't like it, badge out."

One time we were told "We fired a guy for using the side entrance to the building today. Since you are contractors, the computer tracks the time you badge in and badge out, and matches it against the hours you bill for. If they don't match you're automatically fired. There isn't a badge reader on the side entrance, so when this guy used the side entrance, his times in the computer didn't match his bill, and we fired him. " That was it. This was the first warning we ever got about not using the side door. No advisory to the guy about "This was a problem, don't do it again." No chance for the guy to appeal or explain. They just fired him.

That's pretty much how Hess was run while I was there. Co-workers just vanish. It's kind of like those war movies when all the fighter pilots are in the bar, and someone says "Where's Terry?" and someone else says "Terry didn't make it." When I was let go, I found out by email. No warning. No reason. Never did find out why.

Hess has lots of contractors, because the employees are all so busy having meetings and fighting each other in inter-office politics that if they didn't hire contractors, no work would ever get done. That being said they are pretty unclear on the difference between a contractor and an employee. They tell the contractors what hours to work, what they can and can not wear, all those little details the IRS says makes you an employee and not a contractor.

As for the employees, there is constant maneuvering and infighting. Managers are to busy building little "fiefdoms", and there is a general policy non-cooperation between employees and departments that are viewed as a threat. We had one department that refused to return our phone calls or emails or support us in any way because they were afraid our team was making them "look bad", and that if they looked bad they would be fired. Our boss had us start listing every time they didn't respond to emails, or refused to support us, so he would have "ammunition" to use against them at the next meeting.

Managers will call you "buddy" and pat you on the back one day, then fire you the next. With all the backstabbing and plotting and duplicity it is kind of like being on a pirate crew... only without any gold... or rum... or those cute little umbrellas they put in rum drinks either....

Because of this, little, if anything, ever gets done during the work day. The employees say "Hess stands for Holidays, Evenings, Saturday and Sunday" because they are so busy doing corporate infighting during the week that those are the only time they have available to do their actual work. I heard stories about managers doing routine paperwork late at night Christmas Eve because the law required it be done by the end of the year, and that was the only time they had to get it done.

So, as I said, don't be too quick to rule out the Labor Camp option... at least there you have job security and you know who your enemy is.

Advice to Management

Hess has a reputation for being about as much fun as a P.O.W. camp, and this impacts recruiting. Because of this someone put together an "employee morale" package sometime in the past, and they did a great job of it. Hess has all the perks that the MBA text books say make worker drones happy. Great cafeteria. Excellent building. Nap room. Nursing mothers room. Company store. Nice art on the walls. Starbucks on the property. Benefits, (if you aren't a contractor) etc.

However, Hess has overlooked that whole "not treating your people like fungible worker drones and actually treating them like human beings who deserve respect" thing. Because of this, things still pretty much suck. I know it's old school, but it works.

"unpleasant"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Hess Corporation as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

many perks such as discounted meals and a starbucks on first level.

Cons

managers do not care if people are properly trained.

"a company of change...be wary"

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Hess Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The first years of working here held promise. Good and solid professionals - leadership yielded good bonuses because the company was doing well. Exploration successes were indicating a good future. Compensation was reasonable. Then there were leadership changes.

Cons

After organizational changes the company began to go through an unraveling - many good people left - some good people who were seemingly successful were laid off, and inexperienced leadership was brought into certain areas which caused disruption and confusion for many. More good people left because the organization became fairly unstable. Company performance was suffering.

In 2013, during the 2nd quarter, Wall Street activists moved into action, and there ensued a struggle for corporate control and direction. This company was not unique in being in this position within the industry. Wall Street activists are always looking for companies that are suffering from difficult strategic circumstances - Hess fell into this when its Exploration function began to lag back in 2010, and the Unconventionals began to pose an increasing strain on their struggling business areas, who were having difficulty keeping up with the pace due to high demands in an industry with a shrinking capable workforce. Performance requires enough people to manage the drilling and production activities. Weather and other difficulties were not helpful during 2010-2013 for this company.

From the beginning of 2011, there seemed to be a movement to drive out older employees (age-wise), and also run-off mid-management female leadership. The instability of the company continued to drive people to leave for better places to work. The trust factor moved down to new lows for many people who for years had put forth their best efforts for this company.

The company in 2013 has undergone much change. What remains to be seen is how the company will stabilize (if) in 2014, and survive in a very competitive industry. It appears that the accountants and the lawyers are beginning to move into control more, and this usually spells the demise of a petroleum company. Strong Exploration leadership is the back-bone for the future of any E&P company. Hess does not have this at present.

Advice to Management

Your culture shift and the resulting turmoil has made Hess a less popular place to work than your competitors. Decreasing staff and imposing more work does not win long term employees when many companies in the industry are thriving and providing a better work culture, better benefits, greater compensation, and a more promising future. Don't just talk, but walk the walk. Strong trusted leadership will go a long way in securing a good workforce who will stay. People need to be led, not made to feel enslaved to do more work because leadership took a wrong turn. If you could measure your talent loss during 2011-2013, it would be significant. You cannot make people be innovative - they must be inspired. Hess has lost a good deal of its ability to inspire people. Inspiration will have to build back up over time. Good luck in bringing the company back to a better place.

9. "I used to not mind my job, but then my manager decided to start paying others under the table, violating the law."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Brockton, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Brockton, MA

I have been working at Hess Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I make my own schedule, get a tiny bit of vacation.

Cons

Manager lied about when my vacation expired, pays other employee more money to work illegally, writes me up for anything, takes vacation when I tell her I want it.

Advice to Management

Management sucks, no room for advancement so why should anyone bother? They shouldn't. I hope this place tanks.

10. "Warning to ex-employees. My old boss is replying to emails at Hess account pretending to me be. I left for another job."

I worked at Hess Corporation full-time

Pros

None. It was a horrible place to work.

Cons

Clearly having my old boss pretending to be me and sending out emails with my name attached is causing a lot of problems for me since I left.

"a public company run like a private, which is why its in its current state..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, NJ

I have been working at Hess Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great industry; heritage of the brand; historically strong profits

Cons

senior leadership has never had a clue. Drove decisions at the detail level with no strategy; put the wrong people into roles without experience and didn't walk the talk of holding people accountable

Advice to Management

Get your act together. Get rid of senior and mid mgt (including spun off businesses) and start holding the teams accountable