Hewlett-Packard Reviews in Glasgow, Scotland | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman

Pros
Cons
  • Company manages for efficiency so workload can upset work life balance at times (in 336 reviews)

• Senior Management seems to not know if they are coming or going sometimes (in 384 reviews)

1. "Good company to work with"

Current Employee - Finance Specialist in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Finance Specialist in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good brand name , good culture , good environment

Cons

HP- got split into HP INC & HPE ( HPE 2 part sold out to CSC & another company)

2. "IT dinosaur"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

International setting, variety of Division and Business Unit to move to.

Cons

Bloated organisation whose only drive is cost reduction and shareholders' return.

Advice to Management

Get rid of short-term promotion hungry management that deliver value and cost-cuts now leaving a stinky mess behind.

"Hewlett-Packard Graduate Scheme"

Former Employee - Information Testing in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Information Testing in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Pros

- Free parking
    - Lots of diverse people to work with
    - Easy interview process with presentation and short questions
    - Good teams to work with

Cons

HP made a mistake and hired too many graduates resulting in not enough roles and graduates sitting for months on end with no work. This resulted in their probation being extended (weeks after probation period was over) and finally having their contract terminated with unfair reasons. They also promised a disabled colleague an electric wheel chair and suitable equipment however they failed to do this. The graduate program promises to give you an opportunity to work in different roles however HP failed with this also as most graduates were in the same roles for the full time of the program. The graduate scheme management is terrible as promotions are given depending on who is the favourite. There are no career prospects as you can be working there for 5 years and only have an increase of about £1500. If you are promoted then no salary increase is given. Graduates expectations are not laid out at the start and they are therefore bullied and penalised for not meeting expectation. DO NOT WORK HERE this is not a professional company. This company is so terrible that I was accused of "over achieving".

Advice to Management

- Set expectation clearly
    - Do not hire more people than you can manage
    - Stop breaching contract
    - Stop racism/discrimination in the company

"HP as an Employer"

Former Employee - SAP Analyst in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - SAP Analyst in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very few, if any, actually not.

Cons

Bullying colleagues, lots of racism, could care less about their staff attitude, crap products, a view to relocating everything to China and India. Unpleasant racist bullying colleagues, not a good place to work at all.

Advice to Management

Not good, and needs massive improvement, gestapo style will never cut it!

"Obsessed with cost cutting."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people. Some interesting work going on. Opportunities to work from home on occasion. Opportunity to buy additional or sell leave.

Cons

Capability management structure does not work. Capability Managers do not necessarily have any idea what the employee is working on. Overworked and stressful environments. Revenue and cost saving are considered ahead of the well being of employees.

Advice to Management

Properly resource the work on the books and allow for some contingency. Take the home / work life balance thing seriously. Stop depending on the goodwill of certain staff to win through.

"Graduate Experience with HP UK&I"

Former Employee - Graduate Trainee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Graduate Trainee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined HP UK&I, along with 11 other graduates as part of the 14 month 'Sales' program based up in Erskine, Glasgow. Unfortunately, it was not a pleasant experience. I was the 3rd graduate to resign from the original 12, and I know that another grad has since left the scheme. This leaves only 8 left out of the 12 who started last September.

There were some Pros at HP:

- A good basic Salary (however the advertised salary of £25,000 was only achieved after a long battle with management. Two months into the program our salary was cut to £20,000 with a £5,000 bonus based on hitting a sales target - there were issues with the sales letters being published / corrected in a acceptable time).

- A company going in the right direction. HP's stock value has more than doubled since this time last year and under the rule of Meg Whitman (CEO and President) HP is on track with its 5 year turnaround plan and has delivered to the market some exceptional solutions in recent times. It really is the only IT company that can provide an end-to-end solution to customers - across the spectrum of hardware, software and services. I completely bought into the 'HP message' and loved the image that was given from the executives. This, however, was not enough to mitigate against my decision to leave, and was the only Pro (issues with salary) that I can really speak about.

- Fast-Track: It is a fast track program to a high wage in a large multi-national organisation, but the 'structure' of the program will only suit a certain kind of person.

- Looks good on a CV: This is true, and the only reason why I do not regret my decision of accepting a place on the HP sales graduate scheme. All 4 of us who have resigned (so far) have gone onto roles that are more suited: One grad went to join Accenture's consulting graduate scheme; Another is a marketing exec for a medical diagnostics company; another is now a PhD student; and the other is a field rep for Diageo.

Cons

Where to start?

- Training: We received virtually no training from the L&D department in Erskine. This was partly, but not wholly, down to the fact that the site in Scotland is contracted out to Manpower and very few employees are 'HP Badged'. As a grad, you are HP badged and there is no one in Erskine to speak to about any grievances felt due to the contracted nature of the site.

- Day Job: The Grad scheme is advertised as something wonderful. On the website is speaks of the salary and the ongoing training that you will receive in order to prepare you for a field based role in consultative selling (the end goal if you pass the year in Erskine). The reality is that you work in a call centre - it is a simple as that. Cold calling customers trying to get them to buy HP. This was not mentioned at the assessment day / nor was it in the literature available online. Your KPIs are Talk Time (2 hours minimum per day) and Dials (around the 30 dials a day mark).

- Salary: As mentioned above. The grad scheme advertised a salary of £25,000 which turned out to be a lie (even though on the contracts signed it stated that the basic salary was £25,000). We were told that if we had an issue with the reduction to £20,000 + £5,000 OTE then we were on the wrong program. As 4 out of 12 grads have since resigned I think it is clear that this was an issue for some, but it was not the only issue. The sales letters that were given to us came late, and most were incorrect (people's targets being too high / the account set wrong, etc) and there is up to a 5 month delay on being paid commission. I had budgeted based on a basic salary of £25,000 and struggled with my outgoings as a result of the change. (Most of the grads, including myself, moved to Scotland for the program).

- One Sided Nature: All the pressure will be on you. No one will be there to help. We were told that we needed to 'Fit the mould provided' and if we didn't then we would fail the assessment at the end of the program. We were told, by the head of L&D that the number one rule was to 'never be ourselves'. I had major issues with this approach. Management seemed to want us to jump through hoops and if we complained about the nature / structure / realities of the grad scheme we were told that it could affect our ability to pass the final assessment.

- Disparity: Between management in Erskine and management in London / Bracknell.

- Structure: There is none.

Advice to Management

- Be Honest: If you are honest with regards to the realities of the grad scheme in Erskine then you will not see such a mass exodus of grads during the program. Had I known what life was going to be like I would not have accepted the offer to join the graduate scheme. Do not advertise one wage and then pay another, it will lead to an unhappy workforce and resignations.

- Support: Support the grads and help them to be the best that they can be in the roles asked of them.

- Structure: I hope that given the unacceptable resignation rate on this years grad scheme, that for the incoming grads, management will put in place a well structured program with adequate training and development in order to help the grads grow as HP employees, as well as providing a clear pathway to the end goal (field sales).

I don't believe there will be much / any change when it comes to the structure of the program.

- Be Approachable: Unfortunately, the management for HP UK&I were generally not approachable. There were, of course, exceptions to this.

"Education"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gained top level training and understanding of how the I.T industry works

Cons

Very Very Silod, Communication is not the best

Advice to Management

Talk more

"Sadly one of the worst decisions of my life"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some talented people who are happy to help, pay isn't terrible for the amount of real work people do, there are some good corporate benefits, its mostly a 9-5 where you can erase your experience at the end of the day.

Office isn't bad, its had its day don't get me wrong but compared to other offices it still has some redeeming qualities (on-site gym, good catering, bright)

Personally, I still have a lot of respect for HP as a brand but I can't deny that my time here has been one of the most demoralising experiences of my life to date.

Cons

Highly bureaucratic, documents on top of documents, processes over already bloated processes, but with no real sense that these complexities are creating any value for HP or its customers.

Employees can work on projects for years and there be no end result, was the customer happy? Some projects are so insular that employees don't really know who the customer is and what it was they were sold in the first place, therefore no real understanding of where they fit into the value chain.

Career progression is almost non-existent, even for highly talented employees, many of which can double their salary when they inevitably make the move externally.

Attrition rate is unbelievable, there is no incentive for a long term career in the company, which is tragic. Many of the people walking out the door are talented people that under the right circumstances could create tremendous value for HP especially during this critical turnaround period. Almost everyone is following a silent agenda of finding greener pastures outside the company.

Advice to Management

Firstly put up your hand and say hello, no one is really sure who you are.

I don't know what the solution is but what I will say is that there are a lot of good people in this company. Get to know them, be bold about developing them, work to get rid of all the unnecessary complexity that is draining moral from employees and profits from HP's accounts.

These days I would struggle to articulate what HP is truly great at any more, I would say the company needs to be aggressive about redefining its purpose. That might mean huge sacrifices but I think this is now unavoidable. We are now a lame racehorse that was once a champion, great change is necessary if we are going to be a phoenix rising from its own ashes.

"Soul destroying"

Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most people I work with are great and much of the work is interesting and challenging.

Cons

Poor prospects, continuing erosion of pay and benefits while more and more is expected of you for less. Management don't want UK employees they want offshore, cheap resources. Everything is based on short term planning. Training is off the menu.

Advice to Management

Try to learn who your employees are and treat them with respect - actions, not words. Provide clear and detailed pictures of where you expect the company to be in 3-5 years, especially employee numbers per team. If we're not in your plans tell us so we can make career choices in our own timescales.

11. "HP"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best Corporate setup i have work in so far in my career

Cons

Cons are not applicable for HP

Advice to Management

I have no advice to for HP management

Showing 12 of 16,061 reviews