Hewlett-Packard Reviews in Oklahoma City, OK | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman

Cons

1. "Very professional organization"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hewlett-Packard (Less than a year)

Pros

High technology, good teamwork, flexible hours

Cons

Very busy, sometimes high stress

2. "Room for Improvement"

Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Allows you to work from home as long as you get approved by your manager.

Cons

Since it's such a large company, it's easy to feel lost in the mix. There was no welcome procedures that made me feel included in the community. It got better over the years with some team building activities and annual reviews, but big opportunity for improvement. Even after expressing desire to move up in the company, no assistance provided.

Advice to Management

Focus on creating an encouraging culture that values internal employees and wants to see them succeed.

"has lost employee focus"

Current Employee - Storage Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Storage Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is great working for a company that makes really good technology and getting to use it. The are a lot of opportunities for learning on the job and ending up with great experience. HP and a number of the companies it has acquired used to be great places to work and there are still remnants of this scattered about the company if you are lucky enough to find it.
    There is a wide range of benefits, which taken as a whole are pretty good. But when looked at individually are good but not great.

Cons

Upper management appear to have a direction for the company. However, they are typical 1 percenters where their take, the market and stockholders are what really matter. The concerns of the employees is not on their radar. Work conditions are subject to management whims, such as doing away with telework and forcing people to move to keep their jobs.
    There are no career ladders or built in advancement for employees, rather employees must advance by finding other opportunities.
    In the long term, year over year, pay increases do not keep up with inflation and typically do not cover the increase in the employees portion of the benefits package.

Advice to Management

Step back and realize the employees are just as important as you are. Follow the gold rule. It works better when all boats rise together.

"CEO changes are never ending. None of them (most of all Meg) have any idea how the OKC office works since its different"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hewlett-Packard (More than 8 years)

Pros

Talented Configuration team. Some very talented leadership and employees at the OKC office. Lots of driven people who actually desire to make this account great and profitable.

Cons

Customer Service reps are unable to do their job accurately due to its' Supervisor not understanding how the MetaVance program works internally and how the claims process works internally (via Claims Processors). Too much finger pointing at "system problems" and "management problems", when the actual problem is not following or understanding claims workflow and how the MetaVance System works.

As far as CEO's go, none seem to understand that this is not your "typical" HP office. This is HealthCare. This is nothing like anything else they do. I wish more than anything EDS was never bought out by HP. People loved working for EDS and they loved their jobs and their work environment. People were PROUD of where they worked, and worked hard. The didn't have to worry that their job was at risk daily (HP is ALWAYS getting rid of people or with this most recent "no telecommuting " rule, they are now pushing people out. You cannot build a better "team" when you are forced to drive hours to the nearest location and sit in an office full of people who know nothing about what you do (again, its HealthCare) and vice versa. There is no team building there!!!! Just an even more stressful work environment. Or be forced to quit your job (regardless of how long you have been in your possession, and regardless that a huge part of why you took your job was for the telecommuting ability. I just have nothing nice to say about HP. EDS has lost all of its former glory due to its owner of the past 8 years. What took Ross Perot years to build (and it was a great company), HP has managed to destroy. Maybe its because they literally have no idea how the HealthCare industry works in all reality. And all of there research on bettering the company has nothing to do with our field. But we as employees have been let down by our corporation.

Advice to Management

There is a large amount of great employees at the OKC office. However, they are pulled down and have too much time wasted on the "baggage" at your office. People who are not willing to LEARN and do THEIR work instead of pushing emails so that they don't have to deal with them as well as work, are just baggage that cost you money since others are having to cover their workload else it not be done. It takes a team of people willing to carry their load and learn to make an office not only a profitable one but one that people WANT to work at...which in turns will make them want to work harder for you.

6. "Puts dividends first"

Former Employee - ITO Service Delivery Consultant II in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - ITO Service Delivery Consultant II in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very laid back environment, good benefits, never worked over 40hrs in a week, very flexible with schedule as long as work was completed on time.

Cons

Directions from management were very ambiguous, aren't fully vested in your 401k until 2 years of employment most people get laid off within the 2 years so the company saves that money.

7. "Very good work environment"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High caliber co-worker with high quality, integrity, of customer engagement support delivery.

Cons

Strategic Industry and Market right-sizing affect.

8. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot about customers, customer service and myself.

Cons

Job can be a bit lonely at times

Advice to Management

continue to hire good engineers

9. "Make it Work for You"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a couple of accounts in OKC. Both at Shepherd Mall. On the OSEEGIB account most of the positions aside from the customer service dept. have nice daytime hours Monday-Friday. Managers/Supervisors, at least mine, are flexible and will work with you as far as appts, children issues, etc. Lots of extra money to be made with the constant OT.

Cons

Pay raises and bonuses are few and far between. Never ending overtime(positive and negative). 1 year and counting as of this review. The pay from person to person is varies greatly. A person with no relative experience/education can start with wage several dollars higher than a person with either of the aforementioned qualifications. Bonuses are seemingly randomly dolled out as well. Don't expect to to advance within the company.

Advice to Management

Reward ALL employees who have earned it. Compensate employees fairly.

10. "ITO Svc Del Rep III"

Current Employee - ITO Svc Del Representative III in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - ITO Svc Del Representative III in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to contribute to expanding business.

Cons

Movement is stagnant inside the company (Enterprise Services). Lateral transfer is best option.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat. Lazy workers are in it for the paycheck and don't look to improve anything.

11. "Most disorganized company ever..."

Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for HP is a good way to pad your resume. They offer continuing education classes through their internak "HP University," so you are encouraged, even expected to continue learning more about your field and the company. HP also has an employee disaster outreach team that is fantastic.

Cons

Having an international company with tens of thousands of employees, you would expect there to be some form of organization. I have honestly never worked for a more inefficient company than HP. IT should be noted that my experience is limited to working for their "enterprise services" group. I was specifically assigned to the Oklahoma Medicaid account (Title XIX.)

There is an overabundance of management, yet a serious lack of leadership. Before my first day with the company, my manager was changed three times. To make matters worse, the system in place for making any system changes is excessive. to make a single change often required 5 or 6 change orders, each with a minimum of 2 project managers (often different for each change order.) Any time a defect was idenified - it generated its own set of change orders that often did not tie directly back to the originals.

The insanity does not stop there. . . I was employed as a business analyst, but was placed in a customer support role as a tester. While BA's can and often do some testing, it is not our sole function. Why the company takes someone with a very broad skill set and chooses to utilize only 5% of that knowledge, I will never understand.

I was hired as a salary employee, yet my manager emailed me almost daily requesting that I fill out a timecard. This is FAR from normal business practice for salaried employees. If that wasn't bad enough, if I didn't log 8 hours every day on said timecard, I was asked how I was going to "make up" the time. Unfortunately, the times I logged less than 8 hours (typically on a Friday,) I had actually worked 9 to 10 hour days Monday through Thursday. This begs the question, if I log 45 hours in a week, yet only work 7 hours on a Friday, then exactly what time am I "making up?"

Bottom line is this: HP is probably a decent company to intern for or have as a first job out of college to pad your resume with, but for someone who already has several years of professional experience in their field, steer clear!

Advice to Management

Meg, you're doing a good job of turning the company around, but Enterprise Services still needs a SERIOUS overhaul.

Showing 14 of 15,893 reviews