Hewlett-Packard Reviews in Pontiac, MI | Glassdoor

Meg Whitman

1. "Splendor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

Pros

Thorough. I was able to complete many tasks while learning from .others. Attributes were noticed when efforts were made to accomplish tasks.

Cons

No room for advancement in direction I wanted to go with. Inconsistent shifts which made it hard for travel for myself personally.

"Worked less than a year, then got out ASAP, glad I did. Don't be afraid to call in sick."

Former Employee - Service Desk in Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Service Desk in Pontiac, MI

I worked at Hewlett-Packard (Less than a year)

Pros

Oddly enough I would recommend to a friend who needs some low tier, low pay IT work if he or she were to get an opportunity here to take it. Why? It is because putting HP on your resume does help, despite all of the cons I listed below.

Nice big building with plenty of bathrooms.
    co-workers were mostly cool people
    get to put HP on your resume, this does look good to other companies when looking elsewhere
    I worked in one of the few low call volume desks, this is just a pro for me and if you're lucky
    they pay five holidays a year, and if you work in a 24/7 desk you can get paid double for working on a holiday

Cons

training was, yeah...
    pay is pitiful
    raises? LOL
    benefits? (and you're a contractor for Addeco): LOL
    pto is a joke
    major burnout
    you will most likely be taking upwards of forty to fifty calls a day for barley more than a janitor makes (for people who got switched over to addeco from other contractors in the great (when all HP Service Desk employees, including at the time direct HP employees were forcefully moved over to contractor status again after HP split into two companies, months before Meg Whitman gave herself a huge bonus) screwing of 2015, I was payed $13.25/hr, but you'll likely get lower
    so much nepotism
    no sick days

Advice to Management

I have no advice, because management couldn't care less about the stress you as a service desk employee go through. Why should they? Management also got forced to work as contractors along with all the service desk employees. A select few did get to stay direct HP employees though, because the company that has their desk in HP REQUIRES that they speak to an HP employee.

"Company never knew how to run a services company. ."

Former Employee - Financial Transformation Project Manager in Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Transformation Project Manager in Pontiac, MI

I worked at Hewlett-Packard (More than 5 years)

Pros

EG Business and products are very promising.

Cons

The past few CEOs had no concern or care for employees. To focused on wall street rather then customer service. Upper management did a poor job of integrating services to the enterprise product line. This marriage was a good one but upper management failed to lead it to market. So based on that failure they just dumped services. (merge with CSC)

Advice to Management

80% offshore models will not work in the long run. Customers will demand more service the what can be provided offshore. Company touts collaboration and forces US employees to the office while thinking workers thousands of miles away can do the work and collaborate.

4. "Horrible"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Pontiac, MI
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Pontiac, MI

I worked at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The level of information that is available per your skill set is amazing, the help you get from senior staff is of high quality( training, access to technical resources),

Cons

If you were part of a contract house that ended due to HP consolidated to one contract house for it's contract employees. I didn't feel appreciated by the company even though my immediate supervisor was awesome. Horrible pay compared to other contract houses with other companies. No benefits, so if you plan on having a family don't

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth and offer benefits.

"Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Pontiac, MI

Pros

Pay Check is why I am here

Cons

took away work from home

"Financial Analyst II"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time

Pros

Corporate Culture, respectful work environment, flexibility in working from home.

Cons

Not as flexible, all called back into offices. Raises and bonuses all most nonexistent, but promises of them keep you staying until you realize you've been there for many years and income declined massively. Expects Salary employees to work the hours of two people. Makes clerks salary to get around the paying of O/T. You get a promotion but no raise, they tell you that you must first work in that position for a year to be eligible. Then, the same story every year, the company is not making money. Contracts are quoted with bonus, wages, etc. the company takes the money to purchase other companies and not give it to the folks who it was to go to.

Advice to Management

They have been given advise for many years but does not help the bottom line so they will continue the same antics. Young folks just out of college will work massive amounts of hours to learn in a few years the promise of raises do not come to pass.

"Service Developer I"

Former Employee - Service Information Developer I in Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Service Information Developer I in Pontiac, MI

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who I worked with were incredibly smart, helpful, and talented. There were several resources, certification classes, and study groups available to help employees learn new skills. The projects were interesting, and there were a large variety projects. HP makes a big effort to help the community and promote doing things right and ethically. The benefits were pretty good, and you start off with 3 weeks vacation a year with the option to "buy" more vacation time.

Cons

I found that the work-life balance was very poor. I worked 55-60 hours a week, but was made to feel like I accomplished nothing. I didn't like having to adjust my hours to meet with people from different time zones. I had to apply to try to get on projects. Most of these projects required 4-10 years of experience, so it was difficult to find a project if you are a fresher. If you can't find a project within a month or 2, you could lose your job. Overall I felt that this job was very stressful. The constant layoff of employees didn't relieve any of the stress.

Advice to Management

Shorten the length and frequency of meetings. Meeting 4-5 hours a day leaves very little time to get any work done. Find a role on projects that a fresher can do if you are going to hire them.

8. "HP Review"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard (More than 8 years)

Pros

Hewlett Packard is a global, enterprise level corporation with many opportunities to grow and enhance your skills and experiences.

Cons

The company has gone through many restructuring activities leading to work force reductions. Many internal initiatives are at risk and there is very little to no bench at all times.

9. "Good Training"

Former Employee - Help Desk Support in Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Help Desk Support in Pontiac, MI

Pros

Good start for entry-level help desk support. Depending on department you're given 1 week to 3 months training. At the time of my training I received a week and other got three months for a new start up department. In-house cafeteria. Walk-able for exercise.

Cons

I didn't stay because of the drive and I had an older car. Cafeteria was all that hot.

Advice to Management

None.

10. "Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Pontiac, MI

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

They don't hire younger employees.

Showing 107 of 16,229 reviews