Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure Reviews | Glassdoor

Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure CEO Steven Cost
Steven Cost

"IT Senior Manager"

Current Employee - IT Senior Manager in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great exposure to diverse technical infrastructure.

Cons

I have been very happy at Hexagon.

Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure2017-10-30

"Look elsewhere"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. There are a lot of great individuals that work here. 2. My management worked to improve work conditions for my team. 3. Building and other facilities are very nice.

Cons

1. Pay is much lower than industry standard. 2. Raises are very small, doesn’t seem to factor performance in at all. 3. Management reshuffles constantly; overall turnover is very high. 4. Very little opportunity for advancement 5. Technical information is poorly documented. This company always seemed to be in crisis. Its reputation in the area has definitely suffered over the past couple of years because of this.... I don’t have much confidence in its new products. There are definitely much better companies to work for in the Huntsville/Madison area.

Advice to Management

Think about what is most important to your customers. Look to offer employees more than the bare minimum.

Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure2019-10-07
  3. "Support Engineer/ Implementation"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Madison, AL

I worked at Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure full-time for more than a year

Pros

401K matching, decent amount of PTO, health benefits, tuition assistance, and the private gym is great.

Cons

Upper management is unorganized and lacks communication

Advice to Management

Additional training for employees

Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure2019-07-10
  4. "Pay to cost of living is not that great"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people to work around - colleagues that is. Cool building

Cons

Pay is not that great.

Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure2019-07-04
  5. "Great Job, Horrible Management"

Current Employee - Finance in Huntsville, AL

Pros

An exciting job that challenges me. Proud to work for a company that creates products that save lives. Have always really enjoyed working here and find great satisfaction in the work I do.

Cons

I've had many different jobs within the company and have always felt appreciated, valued, and challenged. However, the past two years have shown a BIG decline in the quality of management being promoted. Upper-level management is very aware of issues with mid-level management yet nothing changes. There are many, many, fantastic managers that work here, but there are way too many that are creating a very poor culture.... And the discontent is contagious. Current management treats the entire team as if we're replaceable. They don't share knowledge or encourage us to improve or innovate.

Advice to Management

Start a program to allow direct reports to review their managers. I'm highly loyal to this company but promoting people then completely ignoring their performance after that is going to force all your good people away. A company is built by your employees, so start treating them right. And yearly performance reviews should be REQUIRED! Two years have passed and I haven't had one. I've submitted my... self-evaluations both years and have gotten ZERO feedback.

Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure2019-06-24

"No opportunity for growth"

Former Employee - Engineer in Madison, AL

I worked at Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Great people, I had a great manager. 2. The building and gym are great to have and it was great to work out of such nice facilities. 3. Mid level management will do whatever it takes to make you happy and help you succeed in your position.

Cons

1. You will not be rewarded for hard work, and you'll receive a 2-3% raise every year no matter what effort you put in. Turnover is terrible. 2. There is no clear growth path within the company. They want to keep you exactly where you are for as long as possible and keep your salary as low as possible. 3. The only way to get a decent raise is to get offered another job and ask them to match. When I was offered... another job, I was offered a 20% raise without even negotiating. That's how low my salary was. My manager asked the VP to match it and he declined it so I took the 20% raise and left. 4. Upper Management are all prior salesmen. Unfortunately sales drives the company and not the products.

Advice to Management

1. Learn how to keep your best employees instead of trying to make everyone happy. The best employees won't accept mediocrity. 2. Stop hiring so much outside of the company and start promoting within. 3. Hire proven engineers with experience and with leadership qualities to run the company. They know the products, the customers, and the employees. Salesmen know one thing- how to sell products.. These should not be... your division managers.

Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure2019-02-07

"Good people, lack of industry expertise at executive level"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, AL

I worked at Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very smart people in the trenches and very dedicated to their work and to their customers

Cons

Executives don't like to hear the truth. Executives are now financial people with little understanding of customer needs. Decisions are made based on a balance sheet, not vision.

Advice to Management

Get back to your engineering roots and use financial data to help guide your team not govern them.

Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure2019-01-11

"Horrible Employer with Great PR"

Former Employee - Technical in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of work. Some very smart and talented people employed with company. Has some good benefits. International-type business.

Cons

Absolutely no regard for their people. Management too busy chasing Quarterly sales goals and have zero respect for the work being done.

Advice to Management

Instead of sending more and more work to India, utilize the better employees right here in Huntsville. If you really need to downgrade some departments offer good employees other positions. Or maybe trying be cutting edge and proactive for a change. Dumping your talent each Quarter to meet sales goals is not a strategy.

Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure2018-11-26

"High Turnover Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will be swooned by the modern, colorful building.

Cons

Employees beware: one bad quarter and you'll experience massive layoffs in all departments!

Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure2018-10-01

"Not a Meritocracy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, AL

Pros

Amenities Experience in large organization Benefits A few good people

Cons

Not an Idea or Competence Based Meritocracy. Compensation is terrible, so consider you're ROI for your effort and subjecting yourself to such a degenerate environment. 3% merit increase is nothing when put on top of nothing. In some groups, there is totally incompetent middle management and too many middle managers in general. Some due to peter principle, some due to politics, some due to affirmative action.... In many cases, outright incorrect guidance is given that you must succumb to in order to not be reprimanded for defiance or overreaching. Also, middle managers can insight a lot of infighting among teams and can berate subordinates without logical reason or objective truth. Manager can also silo off the group and punish collaboration for political reasons. Some managers both middle and executive are more likely to focus on subjective, non job related qualities when evaluating their hires or subordinates. Hiring people with non job related qualities like demographics or personal interests will also ultimately exacerbate the degeneracy here. It's a very diverse environment for race, age and gender, but I've seen outright discrimination against qualified candidates because they "look the same" as in they are white and male, who are the majority of applicants for the record. Executive managers rule from on high with little to no ground level intel influencing decision making. Perhaps because they cant work with their incompetent middle management. Regardless, the structure is to tiered causing grossly inefficient and ineffective communication. Communication is siloed and in an echo chamber. Business is in decline, some key products are not up to par because executive management had the company rested on its laurels too long and had a total lack of long term risk/reward vision, losing focus and making poor decisions regarding product dev and employees. Consequently, years of good business is being undermined because company has to manage decline by making hard lined monthly/quarterly "bottom line" financial decisions, further causing large customers of 10+ years to leave to the plethora of alternatives. What you did good today will not be remembered tomorrow. What you did not do good today will be remembered tomorrow, whether you actually did wrong or not, managers may just assume, insinuate, or make something up. A minuscule mistake and a personal offense are like one in the same. You could have all the good feedback there is to have, but what goes on the record is what your manager writes the narrative to be. I would say work/life balance is good because this place runs fat in all the wrong places, but work here is very taxing on morale. I've heard countless colleagues talk about how much Intergraph has effected their spirit unnecessarily. A disgruntled employee is one thing, but the amount of turnover jumping ship here speaks for itself. Modern interiors are ugly.

Advice to Management

Where to begin... half just need to get lost, you aren't where you belong. In general- Try to instill a competence based reward structure. Find out who you do and do not need to concern with and at least give those good hard working employees the benefit of the doubt. Fire all the net-negative lazy people, do not back-fill their spot, give all your competent hard workers the added responsibility and 50% of the... savings in base pay. Middle management- Focus on competency of those you hire, not gender, race or "personality". Hiring for "personality" is the opposite of diversity in ideas. Women not in management need to look around at all the women in management and affirmative action taking place and quit the false insinuations about unfair pay and "boys club" nonsense.. it is baseless. If you look at the back wall (where middle managers sit) you will see that this is a "diversity" employer, that is not to say that there is an allowance for diversity in ideas, there is not. and trust me.. the vast majority of employees are not getting paid average market value for a like occupation elsewhere. Regardless, anyone who thinks they are a victim of something does not belong here. For "finance" (accounting)- All the executives need to crack open their MBA text books and rehash on bargaining power of supplier vs bargaining power of buyer. Make economic decisions, not accounting decisions When confronted with the decision to make an insignificant compromise, think about the power of sentiment, especially with the business being where it is at this point. i.e. a discount is a risk aversion, right you make that discount % less, but that opportunity cost is almost always better than the infinite loss of losing a key account or a new logo. WHEN ACCOUNT RETENTION IS LOW, DO NOT FOCUS ON MARGIN, FOCUS ON RETENTION. For the business- Forget about the reputation you had, it's gone. Do not trust bean counters to make proper business decisions. You need people who understand the intrinsic financial economics and have situational awareness. Good Luck!

Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure2018-07-03