Heyl Truck Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

Alan Heyl

"Laid off driver"

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Heyl Truck Lines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good well maintain clean equipment,

Cons

Force dispatch after unloading , never know where your going until done unloading, hard to plan future route or home time, low pay,lays people off after several years to get cheaper help

Advice to Management

Keep your help, you cant buy the experience of a driver saving you money because they know the routes , truck stops and how to be safe, let the driver pick the routes during bad weather..

"Good Company to Drive For"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Zephyrhills, FL
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Zephyrhills, FL

I worked at Heyl Truck Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Trucks are decent for this type of company. I never worried about weigh stations or DOT inspections.

Cons

I lived in Florida so I had to stay out longer than I liked. That applies to all Florida companies that I'm familiar with. But my manager never talked to me about different options. Even when I asked.

Advice to Management

I think management does as well as they can with what they've got. It's a hard industry with all the regulations but that's the business.

"Driver"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Heyl Truck Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Respect, miles, nice equipment, and a lot of roundtrips

Cons

It's still OTR, trucks governed @65mph

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Akron, IA
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Akron, IA

Pros

A family owned business that has been around for over 60 years. Hard work is rewarded and all employees are treated with respect. There are many opportunities for advancement and to grow your carreer.

Cons

The only draw back would be the location of their corporate headquarters however this could be a positive for some. Location is a very small community in Northwest Iowa however there are opportunities to locate at one of their other terminal locations in IA, FL, WA, TX, or SD.

"Good company!"

I have been working at Heyl Truck Lines full-time

Pros

Honest people, good miles, good pay and benefits. Promotions come from within the company. Good equipment, maintenance does a good job of keeping the trucks on the road. The safety department is strict but fair.

Cons

We handle a lot of meat products. Corporate headquarters is not what you would expect for a company of Heyl's size.

Advice to Management

Take stock in what your drivers are saying. They are the ones that see the road everyday.

"Sad excuse for a trucking company."

Former Employee - Company Driver in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Company Driver in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Heyl Truck Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Halfway decent trucks. And mostly newer trailers. Decent lanes of travel

Cons

I had nothing but grief while I was working at this company. First off I have had my class 1 license for 21 years I have a solid understanding of federal hours of service and am not afraid to turn high miles. My suspicions about this company started when I went for my "prehire drive" the gentleman who conducted my prehire drive didn't want to see my license didn't ask me to do a full pretrip there was no air system inspection requested and my prehire drive was all of 15 minutes in length. Then once I finally went on the road with this company there was no company orientation to speak of. I was given a truck and some very vague directions as to the location of my first pickup. No preperations fo my first border crossing was made and I was not shown the proper procedures for their paperwork. This nonsense would continue for the 3 months that I worked for them and it included multiple late deposits for my pay which upon talking to payroll was blamed on me. Even though most if not all of my paperwork was submitted 2 to 3 days in advance of the cutoff day. Overall this company needs a restructuring if they want to be in business for another 60 years.

Advice to Management

MORE TRAINING. MORE ORIENTATION. STOP ASSUMING THAT JUST BECAUSE A DRIVER HAS LOTS OF EXPERIENCE THAT THEY KNOW EVERYTHING! !!!!