Hi-Rez Studios Reviews

Updated Jan 14, 2021

3.9
Hi-Rez Studios President Stewart Chisam  (no image)
Stewart Chisam
Pros
  • "Free lunch is available sometimes(in 11 reviews)

• "Free food is always nice even though the true motive is to get you to stay extra late(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management has heavy favoritism towards certain managers, often ignoring the majority of the studio's opinion(in 12 reviews)

• "We are very stressed out here in the office and are often "asked" to stay extra late to crunch for an ambiguous milestone with an unreasonable deadline(in 7 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Lead Gameplay Programmer in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Hi-Rez Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

- No required overtime. No crunch. - Voluntary overtime is compensated - Catered lunches (when everyone isn't working from home) - Upper management is transparent and responsive to concerns - Environment is positive, coworkers are all great people to work with - People really care about making quality products - Work from home has been coordinated very well

Cons

- For a while, the studio wasn't great at long term planning, and tended to rapidly change direction more often than was healthy. This is much less problematic now than it has been in the past, but there is still the risk that people revert back to familiar habits if the studio doesn't stay vigilant.

2. "A Challenging and Rewarding Experience"

Current Employee - Senior Gameplay Programmer in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Hi-Rez Studios full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of creative freedom; challenging and exciting work; lots of growth opportunities;

Cons

constant release cycle keeps us very busy every month of the year

3. "How Hirez is a great company"

Current Employee - Game Tester in New York, NY

I have been working at Hi-Rez Studios full-time

Pros

treated well flexible schedules you have fun.

Cons

there are no cons, the job is great.

4. COVID-19

"Pretty good, definitely well intentioned"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Hi-Rez Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

Forward thinking with infrastructure - Very prepared for working during a pandemic Focused on health of teams and games - They're still trying to navigate this, but this has been an ongoing conversation to which I haven't seen any actions contradicting the words (although I don't talk to literally every team, so can't say 100%) Passionate people! Everyone always has good intentions about working on the game. Friendly! A bunch of different social groups, chats about games, foods, pets. Advancement is possible without becoming a lead - This is important and every studio should understand this - just because someone is a good contributor doesn't make them a good leader! I'm very pleased that there's technical and leadership routes to advancement. Very Competitive Game Focused - They know what they're doing and they're sticking to it!

Cons

Very Competitive Game Focused - They know what they're doing and they're sticking to it... Really this depends on the person whether you should consider it a pro or a con. Occasional communication issues (come and go) The internal studios (divided by game) can vary in culture a bit. I've heard people emphasize a good trait that is important to their team that can sort of feel like they're not sure everyone else in the company shares that trait. (I mean there's no guarantees, but it was uncomfortable) Live service model - This is kind of neat in a way, but also it means there's some natural anxiety before every update. While we're usually pretty responsible, because releases are frequent and things slip through, I do tend to feel light anxiety constantly and occasionally need to help solve critical issues on the build that is about to go out. (Note: Finally a single release game is also stressful in its own way) Free to Play and Monetized - I hear people talking about customer happiness a lot with respect to monetization, so I usually feel ok about it here. But I've worked elsewhere where the business group skeeved me out. So it's fine here, but I'm paranoid something bad COULD happen.

5. COVID-19

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Hi-Rez Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- You are given autonomy and management supports you to pursue ideas and different strategies. - Leadership is logical, trustworthy, and caring - There a sense of family and open communication. - Pay is fair - Benefits are good - The work is challenging and fun - Very generous work/life balance. Even before covid. - Lots of freedom to grow and explore different aspects of game design and development

Cons

- There are growing pains in communication and production in new IPs - There are occasionally issues with ineffective employees who have been grandfathered into leadership roles. This is rare now, as most of these people have been removed.

6. COVID-19

"Beware of 5 star reviews"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Hi-Rez Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Relaxed culture, friendly folks -Good work life balance (usually) -Fun place to work -Pro LGBTQ

Cons

-Very Average benefits and pay, nothing to brag about -Local cost of living (Alpharetta) outpacing salary adjustments -Unoriginal games, save SMITE. Too many failed mobile attempts milking old IPs -HR serves the company, not a real resource for employees -Upper management has heavy favoritism towards certain managers, often ignoring the majority of the studio's opinion

"Good place"

Current Employee - Customer Service Lead in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hi-Rez Studios full-time

Pros

Vacation pto. Cares about people

Cons

Can be chaotic and people who don’t know what they’re doing lead.

"Great place."

Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Hi-Rez Studios full-time

Pros

Good place to learn and grow

Cons

Company direction is always unknown

"Just ok"

Current Employee - Senior Visual Effects Artist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hi-Rez Studios full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Consistent work No sign of slowing down

Cons

Constant crunch Low pay Poor scheduling

"Great studio to build experience"

Former Employee - UI Programmer

I worked at Hi-Rez Studios full-time

Pros

Little to no crunch. Open door environment, lots of collaboration, amazingly diverse especially in game dev. Some of the friendliest game developers I've ever worked with.

Cons

The company culture, despite the corporate slogans, really does lean too heavily on "well let's just keep doing what we have always done." The EPs tend to be too hands on and don't seem to trust their leads very much. Workforce tends to skew quite junior, which isn't bad, especially if you are a Jr. Developer.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 133 English Reviews