Hibbett Sports Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hibbett Sports President and CEO Jeffry O. Rosenthal
Jeffry O. Rosenthal

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay unless you're a store manager or higher (in 33 reviews)

• If you're a head coach, be prepared to work well more than the mandated 48 hours a week (in 12 reviews)

1. "Not really worth it."

Current Employee - Coach In Training in Alabaster, AL
    Current Employee - Coach In Training in Alabaster, AL

I have been working at Hibbett Sports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

25% employee discount on all items, including clearance. Good starter job if you're just trying to get through high school, or if you're just a college student looking for extra change. No place to be in search of a career.

Cons

Long work week with inconsistent hours, you rarely get consecutive days off in a row. You have to work 1 12 hour shift a week. You don't get proper lunch breaks. Little to no enthusiasm to be your best because you won't be compensated or recognized for it. No ways to make extra money, no commission, no bonus checks. You'll work most weekends. There is no chance of hoping to maintain another job due to the inconsistency of the schedule. This job takes away the most valuable thing you have... Your time. They will force you to transfer stores and make you commute to your new work place without offering any raise or compensation. I've had 7 years of retail experience prior to employment and I was only offered $11 per hour even though I felt $15 was fair.

2. "team player"

Current Employee - Team Player in Fleming Island, FL
    Current Employee - Team Player in Fleming Island, FL

I have been working at Hibbett Sports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

get to learn about selling sports equipment. meet new people. learn about different types of shoes.

Cons

All the employees and managers are two-faced. The store manager has favors for looks and not achievements. it is a terrible company to work for. You can try your hardest to make the company better and they don't care. the company is trying to hire a lot of new young kids 18-20 to take over when the older people that have been there for a long time are being let go.

Advice to Management

stop trying to be like every other sports store

3. "Assistant Manager Hibbett Sports"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Hibbett Sports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone I worked with was respectful and fun.

Cons

Really no room to move up within the company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

"Company that is Behind the Times in Everything!"

Former Employee - Sales Associaate in Fulton, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associaate in Fulton, MO

I worked at Hibbett Sports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good employee atmosphere, good discount.

Cons

management does not listen to employees suggestions or recommendations. cares more about preventing theft than they do about maintaining good customer service. Does not utilize a functional method of shipping and ordering of products for customers.

Advice to Management

Take advantage of the employees that work in your stores on a daily basis. They are the ones who are with the customers and know what the people want. Your ways are outdated and do not meet the customers needs. The only reason the company is still making money is because in many places Hibbett operates, they are one of the only sporting stores, if not the only one.

5. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Franklin, KY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Franklin, KY

I worked at Hibbett Sports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Benefits for full time
    -Fast promotions
    -Great Products that make sales easy
    -Contests/Spiffs to win free stuff
    -Fun environment
    -Loyal customers
    -Updated technology, new locate system

Cons

-Terrible training
    - Sexual discrimination when firing. ** worked for the company for 4 years! ** was let go because "was dating an employee." ** in fact was not. *** fired *** and offered the AC the position and of course he didn't take it. The AC quit because who would want to work for a company that treated long term dedicated employees that way. The assistant told me he asked the statement, "If this were me and **** would this be happening?" **** was another assistant there that was Male. The terminator responded, "No probably not." Therefore ** was wrongly terminated. ** put all of my time into that business. ** followed every rule to the T. Made sure everything ** had to do was done perfectly. ** asked anytime ** needed help. ** HATE getting in trouble. It's a huge fear of mine so to be treated unfairly for something ** didn't do was purely sad and very disrespectful. Although everything happens for a reason and ** will have a better job and future without this unfair company, it still hurts my feelings deeply.
    -Hard to hire trustworthy employees
    -Poor application pool
    -Upper management will drag out firing someone. If you have someone that clearly is performing poorly- you're suppose to give them time and chance after chance after chance. If I have a store to run, I need people that are going to show up for work and help improve the company.
    -Low pay unless you're a store manager or higher. This makes for a high turn over rate.
    -You don't get paid time and a half for working holidays
    - Although this store wasn't open thanksgiving, most are. I think that it absolutely ridiculous. That's a holiday to be spent with your family

Advice to Management

- Improve Communication
    - Update training
    - Have trust/faith in your dedicated employees

6. "Ok job at first but gets worse with promotions"

Former Employee - Head Coach in Sullivan, MO
    Former Employee - Head Coach in Sullivan, MO

I worked at Hibbett Sports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

25% in store discount and the vendors give you a website to go to for better discounts

Cons

Upper management litterally tricks you into their own hand. Do not take this as a career it is litterally a resume builder that's all it is. Low pay. They expect you to do everything drop your family life in the ditch. You WILL NOT HAVE A SOCIAL LIFE AS ANY MANGER HERE.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people. We have families. Don't work us like dogs.

7. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Price, UT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Price, UT

I worked at Hibbett Sports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to fulfill customer's needs.

Cons

The higher management does not listen to the employees suggestions.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees instead of going of hear say.

8. "Head Coach"

Former Employee - Head Coach in Ardmore, OK
    Former Employee - Head Coach in Ardmore, OK

I worked at Hibbett Sports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have a decent bonus every month, easy job, decent hours, benefits are okay but not the best weekly or bi-weekly memos.

Cons

Absolutely horrible communication. They use memos that come in a tupperware box on shipment days that may or may not have your memos for that week in it. They implement new things and don't give you any idea on how it's supposed to be done. Store resets almost weekly. Terrible delivery process. Outdated computers and shipment process.

Advice to Management

Give management an email for the company to easily get them accurate information quickly. Quit using outdated hardware and software.

9. "Your typical sales job, just very low pay."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Maryville, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Maryville, MO

I have been working at Hibbett Sports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Organized, clear objectives, instructions for everything that should be done. Team aspect is clear, chance to advance within the company.

Cons

Very low pay, harsh rules in some areas, open on holidays. Also truck can be over bearing and customers can get mad if you don't have a certain product.

Advice to Management

Cut thanksgiving and Christmas Eve off your schedule. Increase pay to employees, make team meeting videos shorter.

10. "Store Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Hibbett Sports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hibbett Sports is a awesome company to work for, One of the main reason you get to meet new people everyday and all of hibbett sports employees seems like family .

Cons

There are really not many downside about hibbett sports , only thing is that I think manager's should get paid a little more !

Advice to Management

To be a manager for any company you need responsibility example don't come in to work late and make sure you learn how to do the small things before you learn the night thing, and a great work ethic