HighTower Advisors Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Elliot S. Weissbluth

1. "Managing Director, Partner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at HighTower Advisors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exceptional management, great advisor support and consistent investment in culture, platform, technology and operations. Good benefits and 401(k). Open-minded leadership.

Cons

I have no complaints. I came from a wirehouse, and the differences between life at a brokerage firm and life at an independent are like night and day.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in tools for clients to plan with their assets, and for advisors to invest and support their clients and teammates.

"A Disfunctional Organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at HighTower Advisors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a good place to start if you want to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Upper level management is terrible and are not held accountable for their actions. This is not the place to be if you value being treated like a human being. Yes, if you walk around the office everyone is smiling and seems to be happy but the reality is that most people are miserable. They hold monthly meetings for employees to speak freely in an open forum but ignore the fact that there are serious problems - under staffed and over managed. It's rare people stay over 2 years, and not because they are lazy, but because everyone is working around the clock and get tired of being treated poorly.

Advice to Management

Fully staff your departments so that your employees do not burn out. Stop promoting bad behavior and unprofessionalism. These executives you think are so great are really not, they manage up. Start making real changes instead of ignoring what's really going on. There's a difference between a manager and a leader, you need more leaders.

"Head of Business Development"

Former Employee - Head of Business Development in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Head of Business Development in Washington, DC

Pros

Highly motivated firm. Focused business approach. Easy model for potential Clients to understand (flat fees). Growing firm.

Cons

In a business sector that is under attack and under severe pricing pressure. Tries to make their investment process unique when essentially it is the exact same as all the traditional Wire Houses.

Advice to Management

Avoid price as the main issue be focusing on the benefits you deliver. Pay close attention to the Department of Labor ruling on Fiduciary requirements- this is a real game changer.

"Manager"

I have been working at HighTower Advisors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to learn and grow - face moving, high energy.

Cons

Shortage of mentors and due to face pace, expect a lot of freedom to make your own success.

Advice to Management

Find some time to mentor - lots of good people there who need a little support and would appreciate the attention

"Culture, People, Opportunities!"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HighTower Advisors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working at HighTower for over 6 years, and having been in the industry for over two decades can unequivocally say it's the most transparent, "open door" policy, and best culture I've experienced. If you are willing to work hard, are flexible with changing priorities of a growing company, and eager to learn and grow, this is the place for you. The rapid growth we have experienced nationally, offers many opportunities to talented people around the country to join us and experience the "all for one, one for all" culture that is very unique in the industry.

Cons

Rapid growth (if you can call it a con) - necessitates being flexible with work priorities and juggle many projects at the same time. It's definitely never boring!

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on company objectives, and bring in top notch team members to continue in our growth trajectory.

"HighTower"

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HighTower Advisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love working here. Some days it is a little hard to keep up with, but I'm surrounded by people willing to help if I'm overwhelmed. I learn a lot that way! The HighTower community is strong, and I always feel comfortable meeting new people.

HighTower is transparent, the president is always updating everyone on our goals, the state of the business and what our next steps are. If I have questions I know I can ask and it seems like my understanding is important to him, which makes me feel included.

Cons

HighTower is fast paced, and if you want something done you need to make it happen for yourself. Everyone has to hold themselves accountable for their work and how they accomplish it, as well as their attitude.

Advice to Management

Keep an open mind, be ready for change and new ideas. Keep everyone informed. Overcommunicate if you have to.

"HighTower a terrific growth story"

Current Employee - Managing Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HighTower Advisors full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful work environment with amazing growth opportunities. Great culture and always nurturing to maintain it.

Cons

None noted, I love this place!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and THANKS!

"HT review"

Current Employee - Managing Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HighTower Advisors full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work - challenging, innovative and fast paced. Innovative leadership and energetic professional staff.

Cons

No cons to note here.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on communication and culture.

"Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great place to work. The company is changing the industry.

Cons

Fast growing company with plenty of opportunity.

"Stay away from this place! Can I give this place negative stars?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HighTower Advisors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Since a large part of it is owned by private equity its almost a free for all. Almost because its the execs that abuse this the most. Great public relations announcements that creates so much noise that you don't see how bad it really is.

Cons

This place has actually fallen behind rather quickly. There is plenty of PR stating that this organization is disrupting the industry which couldn't be further from the truth (great PR). The vast majority of the tech team is behind the times and this is due to poor leadership from the CTO, the hiring practices are even worse. If you know the CTO you can get a job pretty easily whether or not you can do the job. However don't ever challenge 95% of the execs at HighTower, it gets escalated pretty quick. The whole technology and operations group could really use an upgrade of talented resources. Elliot is so far removed from reality that its pathetic. There are certain execs that can say or do anything and there are no consequences with HR. Its an absolute zoo. Do not buy into the hype about the IPO either. Do not go to work here with the hopes that your "stock" will be worth anything and that you will have a decent nest egg. Management has made sure they will be the ones to make out like bandits (IF there is a liquidity event) and the rest of the "common folk" will be left behind.

Advice to Management

Fire all the C level execs and get people that can actually lead. Stop giving power to the loudest person in the room. Stop paying the ridiculous salaries to the C level execs that are clearly a problem within the org and get rid of them. There are smarter people out there, after all this is Chicago.