Highland Capital Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Highland Capital Co-Founder and President James Dondero
James Dondero

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Highland is great to work for!"

Former Employee - Settlement Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Settlement Associate in Dallas, TX

Pros

The management staff are very respectful to employees. Every upper level manager has an open door policy and is willing to talk with recent graduates about their experience level and how they got to be a senior partner. The benefits package is also above average; three weeks of vacation per year, they provide lunch every day, an annual offisite company wide retreat. It is a small company, you are not just another cog in the wheel, or just a number to them. You do get lots of face time with senior partners. They also do not have a dress code, which makes a very comfortable and relaxed work environment.

Cons

They have a minimum of fifty hours per week, which can be a strain if you have other activities outside of work. The atmosphere can seem cliqueish at times. Some individuals are not as welcoming to new folks as others are. Training can be scant, you pretty much have to jump right in and ask questions as you go along. For some people this system an be maddening, for others it works perfect. Company culture is very hard core, bottom line oriented. It can feel like you are working right on Wall Street - high powered, high energy, capitalism at its best.

Advice to Management

work on training

"Great company"

Current Employee - Currency Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Currency Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Highland Capital full-time

Pros

Young vibrant atmosphere
    Pay package
    Great perks; vacations and bonuses
    Training is fulfilling and on target.
    Good opportunities for vertical advancement.

Cons

Hours are very long. Zero social life. I would sometimes work 80 hours maximum. Getting time off was difficult.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales, Marketing, Communications in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales, Marketing, Communications in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Highland Capital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office culture
    Jeans and casual attire
    Lunch is paid for
    Great bonus structure
    Competitive salary
    AMAZING health benefits = No premiums or deductibles!
    Extremely talented employees and a robust vetting process

Cons

Hard work & long hours, but that should be expected in this industry
    Very entrepreneurial, make your own way
    Business units seem somewhat silo'd

Advice to Management

Create a more organized structure around performance reviews

"One of the best places I’ve had the privilege of working for. Very unique company culture and values."

Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Highland Capital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of learning opportunities, great firm reputation, and friendly colleagues. Fairly horizontal organization structure that rewards initiative and constructive input.

Cons

Requires strong work ethic – minimum number of hours for each employee. Also need intellectual horse power and strong problem solving skills.

Advice to Management

None

"Great Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Highland Capital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of financial firms get a bad rap but Highland Capital Management is not your typical finance firm. Everything from the interview process to the culture is unique. The interview process was quick, efficient and painless. The Recruiting Manager was there every step of the way: from the initial call to signing my contract. Highland has a great culture: not everyone is always suited up and while it’s fast pace and everyone works hard, there is a laid back feel. Upper management has an open door policy. I have never worked at a firm where a Co-Founder takes the time to really know their employees. More importantly, there is access to incredible knowledge. I am a recent grad and new to the finance industry. Having the ability to learn from more experienced professionals and industry leaders in invaluable. The retail side of the business is growing exponentially, so there is definitely opportunity for career growth.

Cons

My only “con” is not really a con. While the work hours are long, the pay is great. In sales, you definitely see a direct correlation between how much you put in and how much you get out of it.

"Great company with attractive advancement opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Highland Capital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Senior leadership is very strong and has positioned the company for growth. Wealth of advancement opportunities for those that seek them. Excellent benefits and pay. The culture is very strong; everyone is friendly and seems to really enjoy being at the firm and part of the industry.

Cons

The hours can be long; however, as mentioned in the "pros" section, you're compensated for the commitment.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you're doing!

"High expectations but a very rewarding place to work."

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Highland Capital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to senior management
    Ability to work independently on own research ideas
    Good work/life balance
    Fun work environment
    Ability to take on new responsibilities, entrepreneurship encouraged
    Great compensation and benefits
    Casual dress code

Cons

Time quota (just the concept, it's not really hard to meet expectations)
    Limited travel to companies and conferences

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the business and communicate that vision to the firm

"Highland Capital was the best company I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Highland Capital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This firm was to me the perfect job. The people here are outstanding, intelligent, motivated, the perfect blend of talent. I only left because they spun off my department into a separate company and I no longer worked directly for them. And I have missed working there ever since. It's the longest I've ever been with a company.

Cons

For some people the hours might be a con, but for me once you got used to putting in your time and you knew everyone else was else, by design, putting in their hours or more you felt everyone was contributing equally.

"Plenty of Opportunities / Talented Employees / Great Pay & Benefits"

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Highland Capital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Highland has been an outstanding place to work. I've been able to work with very smart, energetic people - it is a motivating environment to work in. If you perform well you will have the opportunity to take on additional responsibility and leadership. It's a flat organization with easy access to senior management. The firm is nimble and makes decisions quickly without getting bogged down in bureaucracy.

The comp is very hard to beat and the benefits are world-class (free medical and dental insurance, free daily lunch, gym, cell phone bill paid, generous vacation days, etc.)

I'm proud to work here.

Cons

It is an intense work environment and the pace isn't for everyone...a work hard, play hard type of place. Very high standards.

"Great experience"

Pros

The very flat organizational structure and variety of investment vehicles provide a great amount of responsibility right off the bat and allow you to take on virtually any investment idea or project, getting anyone's ear from your peers to the CEO. There's also a real sense of growth at the moment with AUM steadily climbing and plenty of new hires, setting a great tone for the team.

Everyone here is incredibly bright and, at least in my group, everyone is someone I'd be happy to go grab a beer with. Other good HR perks are zero cost healthcare, a generous PTO package, free drinks / snacks all day, free lunch, a very nice office at the Crescent, etc.

Cons

Out of principle, tracking your hours via Timekeeper is obnoxious and sets the wrong tone, but it practically doesn't matter. Work / life balance, while far better than investment banking, is no different than any other investment fund (~55 hours / week), and it's not hard to clear your requirement. The one positive thing about tracking your hours is that if you're above your minimum requirement, you can basically take half-days on Fridays without taking PTO.

Free lunch is great most of the time and is always good for the bank account, but it'd be nice to go out to lunch with coworkers every once in awhile to help build camaraderie. Not that much of a con, I suppose, and partially offset by fairly frequent company happy hours and group outings.