Highland Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "DevOps"

Current Employee - Principal DevOps Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Principal DevOps Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Highland Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Highland Solutions values ethics and community. We want to be a company that is profitable and growing, but not sacrificing ethics along the way. We also want to create an environment where customers are valued and employees find purpose and meaningful relationships. I speak from my experience as a 15 year veteran at Highland.

Cons

Highland Solutions will not maximize profits at the expense of ethics. This will be a con for those who want to pursue a career path that maximizes earnings.

Advice to Management

Keep values centered on ethical behavior, what's best for the client, and nurturing employees. I believe these are Highland's greatest strengths.

2. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Highland Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company culture, competitive benefits

Cons

No clear path for promotion, team members moved between teams

3. "Overall a great company"

I have been working at Highland Solutions full-time

Pros

Management that truly cares about the people.
    Smart/competent coworkers and teams.
    Great office space and resources to do your job.
    Heavy focus on improvement.
    Complete absence of bureaucracy.
    Freedom (and encouragement) to grow and learn.

Cons

Typical small company troubles - Unsteady work making it difficult to work at a consistent pace, reinventing/changing processes based on environmental/project conditions creating challenges, and having to balance focus between initiatives (internal/external). But that's what we signed up for and why we're here. Not everyone is fit to work in this kind of environment (as can be seen by the other reviews).

Advice to Management

Management communication is strong, but public-forum announcements and Q/A sessions don't draw out topics from our more introverted team members. We're not immune to rumor mills. Not everyone responds well to the 'my door is always open' policy; sometimes they need to be asked directly and privately.

"The People Here Set Highland Apart"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Highland Solutions (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been holding off on writing this review so that I could properly articulate my thoughts and experience at Highland thus far. As I read extremely negative reviews from past and current Team Members, I admit that I do feel a mix of sadness, outrage and pity. I have been with the company for quite some time and have seen many changes during my time here.

Have there been growing pains and have mistakes been made along the way? Of course, but that’s life – nothing’s perfect. For those that spend their time holding grudges and ill will towards those that remain – please let it go. In an attempt to make yourself feel better, you are unintentionally (or maybe intentionally, not sure) hurting those that remain - the Team Members that you once worked beside daily. The people that would always ask how your weekend was and would drop whatever it was that they were doing to answer any question you had (if you were willing to ask).

Getting to the most important part of this review - what is it that sets Highland apart from others and makes me want to stick with the Team through the ups and downs? It’s truly the people that work here. I have never worked with such a highly motivated, intelligent and generous group that truly take great pride and care in what they do. The leadership team here empowers Team Members to take control of their career and speak their mind. Whether or not people choose to do that is upon them.

If that type of work environment appeals to you, then there is a strong chance that Highland is the right fit. If you want everything in black and white and want to be told what to do all the time then perhaps it's not.

Cons

As mentioned above, the team has and will most likely continue to experience growing pains in the near future. That is to be expected with a smaller organization. Processes and procedures aren't fully to optimum efficiency yet, but I trust that the people here will help us get to that level.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing but make sure to remain people focused. The day to day operations and stresses of running a business can be distracting but don't forget to continue to give attention to your most valuable assets - the Team.

"Don't do it"

I worked at Highland Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location is convenient to most public transportation and the snacks and free pop are nice too. The one VP and the President are very competent. Some of the employees are pretty cool.

Cons

If you are the kind of person who just wants to come to work and do your job without ever offering much input or telling people your real opinion, Highland is the place for you. If you are the kind of person who needs attention and praise based on brown nosing instead of talent, Highland is the place for you. Do you like working for a place running Agile (poorly) where the scrum master of all people says really bad things (lies) about non-brown nosers and certain people in management (oops no, it's all of them) to anyone who will listen, every single day? Apply now! The reviews that say stuff about the politics and the clique are totally right. The inexperience of the people in the clique makes for such a dreadful existence for everyone else. Some of them just flat out make things up and people lap it up with a spoon. It's weird.

Advice to Management

Throw the baby out with the bath water. Can the management team, sell, and let the new company vet out the remaining employees so people can be judged on merit instead of brown nosing skills for once.

"Cultural Wasteland"

Former Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL

I worked at Highland Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office is nice. Snacks are provided, and on occasion lunch. The office is close to public transportation. Some benefits, although they have recently been subject to cost-cutting measures.

Cons

The culture is dominated by a clique of inexperienced, backstabbing, egomaniacal "team members" looking for a reason to throw you under the bus to "save themselves." Long after you've escaped, they will continue to project their own feelings onto you as the root cause, and management encourages this behavior. If you aren't accepted into the club, your job is already at risk. Titles are tossed around like cans of La Croix: if you've been a sycophant for six months, you're guaranteed a lead manager title (without pay or meaningful responsibility of course). There's a reason they constantly have open positions--not only is salary on the low end of market value, but who wants to stay at a place that turns a blind eye to, or even harbors this type of culture?
    The management culture is just as bad. Sure, they will hype you up with words like "empowerment" and "flat organization," but don't kid yourself about such themes--power is concentrated in the hands of the few. The leaders that entered the company with solid experience, pure intentions, and the vision to take the company to the next level, were chewed up and spit out by entrenched management. As long as the same people remain in power, the organization will not change.

Advice to Management

There are dozens of companies that do what you do and can do it better. You anxiety-filled reactions and incessant risk-aversion, as well as your sad management team has led you to this point and stripped you of any meaningful differentiation. Most of the remaining staff are looking to jump ship. Anyone willing to follow at this point does so out of blind loyalty, and at risk to their own career. Put them out of their misery and sell the company.

"Not What It Appears"

I worked at Highland Solutions full-time

Pros

They like to appease their employees with games, alcohol, and gym memberships.

Cons

This is supposedly a progressive company. The reality is this: men get paid more than women for the same job. Strong, opinionated women and people of color are either let go or leave because they are not valued. They are replaced by white males who will tow the line. If you are a friend or family member to management, you will do well here.

Advice to Management

Sell the company. They won't ever admit to the short-comings in order to improve and therefore will never be anything more than fake.

Highland Solutions Response

Aug 1, 2016

As someone who values feedback from clients and Team Members alike, I find venues like Glassdoor can be a constructive way in which individuals can provide insights that may improve how we operate... More

"A Great Place to Work and Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Highland Solutions (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highland has one of the most supportive and open cultures I have ever experienced. The work and the people are interesting and smart. I have worked here for several years and I still enjoy going to work every day and collaborating with a really talented team of people who like to build valuable tools for our clients.

Cons

Highland has grown significantly every year that I have worked here and growth always creates challenges. Processes and structures have to mature to keep up. Highland's commitment to incremental improvement keeps us ahead of the game, but it can feel pretty stretching at times.

Advice to Management

Keep creating a great environment for your employees and thanks for valuing and respecting us as people!

"A Breath of Fresh Air"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Highland Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A welcoming culture that allows each individual to find their true calling and expand their career. Work/life balance is stressed from day one and something that everyone believes in from the top down. After working for a very large tech company where the culture felt more like a frat house than a business, it's amazing to work for a company where a relaxed, yet productive environment is fostered. Benefits and compensation are well in line with the market, if not better.

Cons

Highland is a very flat organization and it can get the best of us sometimes when tough decisions need to be made. With that being said, it has yet to impede our progress as a growing company. It just may take us longer to make those tough decisions.

Advice to Management

Your presence and guidance is always welcomed in meetings and the current projects we are working on. Do not feel like you would be a hinderance, we value your opinions!

"Where Careers Go to Die"

I have been working at Highland Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I started at Highland it felt like a dream come true. Everyone was friendly and seemed to pay a lot of attention to me. Management seemed to listen to what I was saying and it seemed like a great opportunity. Since then the truth has shown itself and the real faces behind the masks are able to be seen.

Cons

Many if not all of the management are two faced. When you first get into Highland everyone is happy go lucky and ready to help you, listen to you, and laugh with you. The longer you stay there the more pushed away and cold shoulder’s you get.

The management always stresses how they want to enable people to learn new things and broaden horizons, but when you do you are told to focus only on the work in front of you. You are encouraged to do one on ones and training with other team members in other fields, but everyone is run so ragged that no one has time to do anything but eat, sleep, and work. The teams are incredibly under staffed. Some team members work 60 hours+ per week and are expected to sustain that for an indefinite about of time.

Hard working people that believe in the company and try to dedicate themselves to the company are fired while the favorites that don’t know what they’re doing remain. A previous comment on here states that it is a flat organization. It is if you are among the “chosen ones” If not, then you may as well be climbing a solid rock cliff, fighting tooth and nail to be heard.

Feed back is completely ignored unless it is good feed back and then you get excepted into the fold for a while before getting forced back out.

To anyone reading this, Run!

Advice to Management

Get new management that listens to people and can take constructive feed back without firing the person that does a week later.