Highline Community College Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Highline Community College President Jack Bermingham
Jack Bermingham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Woman's Program Front Desk Services"

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Des Moines, WA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Des Moines, WA

I worked at Highline Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a way to meet the needs of the students and give back to the college. The flexibility to allow you to work your schedule around your classes. Enjoy supporting the staff and the events planned for students.

Cons

Between quarters it is possible that you will not be working at that break in between. So no income, but able to go back at the start of the next quarter.

Advice to Management

Have one person advising employees so there is not so many mistakes made. If each person has been given different directions from separate staff personnel much confusion and time is lost, frustrating both staff and employees.

2. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at Highline Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great, caring management, excellent mission, helpful organization, innovative, strong community supporter

Cons

slow getting things done, lots of politics

Advice to Management

integrate administration and faculty more successfully

3. "STAFF"

Current Employee - Staff in Des Moines, WA
    Current Employee - Staff in Des Moines, WA

I have been working at Highline Community College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love interacting with the students, love their energy.

Cons

Lots of politics, clicks among administrators and staff. Low pay. Difficult to move to higher positions.

Advice to Management

Administrators need to get a better idea what staff working with students need for support.

"Adjunct Instructor"

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Des Moines, WA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Des Moines, WA

I have been working at Highline Community College (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Students are generally enthusiastic and serious about learning. Department head allows significant freedom to instruct using your own style as long as you cover the course requirements and your teaching style is effective.

Cons

Non-tenure teaching wage is pretty low. Pay for extra work keeps changing and usually downward. One of the department heads decide to lower the pay after the fact because he felt the original pay offered was too high - that was the last time I agreed to work one of his projects.

Advice to Management

Stop jerking the adjuncts around. Offer more stability even if it is only part-time employment.

5. "Adjunct Faculty"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, WA

I worked at Highline Community College (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful staff and colleagues. Good, respectful, and interpersonal relationships existed overall. Very enjoyable workplace. Recommended if one is not in need of money but wants to hang one's hat at very pleasant workplace.

Cons

As in all community colleges, the compensation is not commensurate with skill and intellectual capacity. Otherwise, it is a great place to work. Parking is a major issue.

Advice to Management

Unsure what administration can do about part time salary because this is a state institution. When I worked there, there were several adjunct faculty who were living in the edge of financial disaster.

6. "Amazing place to work!"

Current Employee - Tenured Faculty in Des Moines, WA
    Current Employee - Tenured Faculty in Des Moines, WA

Pros

Excellent and caring administration from the President of the school all the way down to secretaries and staff.

Cons

Adjuncts don't get paid enough but that's the case throughout higher ed system.

7. "teacher"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, WA

I worked at Highline Community College (More than 3 years)

Pros

teaching AUTOCAD graghic programm

Cons

very interesting job with student

Advice to Management

had experiance in graghic design

8. "Club Volleyball Coach"

Former Employee - Head Volleyball Coach in Des Moines, WA
    Former Employee - Head Volleyball Coach in Des Moines, WA

I worked at Highline Community College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved getting to work with the kids and being able to teach them a sport I love. It was very rewarding seeing them learn and grow and become more confident both in themselves as a person and in their ability to play.

Cons

The tough part about coaching a young girls club team is Dealing with unhappy parents. I always encourage the girls to come talk to me themselves if they were unhappy with any aspect (i.e. practice plans, playing time, etc), but a lot of the time the parents would take it upon themselves to talk to me before their daughter.

Advice to Management

I loved working with the 2 club directors/owners John and Chris. They both provided awesome coaching tips and techniques to all the coaches and would always offer suggestions but they ultimately let us make our own decisions about our teams which I thought was awesome. The only reason I left was because I was moving to California

"A Great College"

Current Employee - Instructor - Digital Photography in Des Moines, WA
    Current Employee - Instructor - Digital Photography in Des Moines, WA

Pros

Highline College feels unique, in that it's relatively large (over 15,000 students) it feels like a smaller school. Class sizes are smaller (under 30 students usually), faculty seems connected and engaged with students.

Cons

As a part-time contract instructor, I am often unaware of options for students or myself as far as classes, opportunities, schedule, etc... I don't feel extremely well connected to other faculty and the college as a whole.

Advice to Management

Since adjunct faculty is such a large part of the teaching staff, make sure to engage, connect and communicate with them about opportunities, schedules, and other important information.

10. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Proctor/Administrative Assistant in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Proctor/Administrative Assistant in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Highline Community College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work if your only looking for a part time job while still attending school.

Cons

Supervisor liked to play with your hours. I felt like I wasn't getting enough to make it worth staying with the job.

Advice to Management

Give the employees more hours.